Nintendo Switch | Page 140 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The Switch has sold just under 140 million and Mario Kart 8 has crossed 60 million, it’s nearing 70 when consider the 8 or so million of the Wii U version.

I think 152 million at least to beat the PS2 is a given at this point especially if a price drop comes post Switch 2. Speaking of which, I posted this in the console gaming thread but it’s also relevant here.
If the Switch 2 comes in November like I think it will, that’s 10 months of the OG being the “main business.” You can’t take these things at face value. Remember how the DS was supposed to be a “third pillar” and not the replacement for the GBA? Remember how the Switch wouldn’t replace the 3DS? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Edit: Mario Wonder pulling 12 million is impressive and expected. It sold like crazy at the store I work in.

Also while 20 million is nothing to sneeze at it’s kind of shocking how much and how quickly Tears of the Kingdom dropped off. For the sales ending June 30th it was at 18.51 million.
Ending December 31st, it’s at 20.28 million. Over 6 months it only sold an additional 1.77 million including the holiday period?
Everyone who wanted it got it

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mike S
One of the biggest benefits to having accounts easily transfer over is taking your digital purchases with you. Just like the last time he brought this up I’m taking this as basic confirmation of backwards compatibility.

The Nintendo Switch 2 reveal could be happening next month and the next Nintendo Direct will be a third party partner Direct according to this info.
Imagine it’s March 3rd on the Switch’s 7th anniversary. If I were Nintendo I’d also finally give the Switch a price cut on all 3 models.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
Three highly regarded Nintendo SA scoopers have all backed Nate The Hates March timeline aswell.

also sounds like when the console is announced, preorders go live immediately.
Looks like I’m going to need to be quick about it. I work in retail and will be getting my employee discount ;)

Everyone who wanted it got it
Yeah, I think this is the case. Breath of the Wild was a launch title and has had 7 years to rack up sales and I believe currently it is sitting around 30 Million. 20 Million for a direct, asset-reusing sequel, and within about 8 months of release as opposed to 7 years, is an unmitigated success.

It might have been front-loaded, but if anything that means that the hype was fever-hot back in May and the install base was built-in. The people who bought Tears were capital-R Ready for it to drop and jumped in as soon as they could.

Yeah, I think this is the case. Breath of the Wild was a launch title and has had 7 years to rack up sales and I believe currently it is sitting around 30 Million. 20 Million for a direct, asset-reusing sequel, and within about 8 months of release as opposed to 7 years, is an unmitigated success.

It might have been front-loaded, but if anything that means that the hype was fever-hot back in May and the install base was built-in. The people who bought Tears were capital-R Ready for it to drop and jumped in as soon as they could.
I guess I was just expecting something a bit higher like maybe 4-5 million considering it’s first holiday.

Anywho, we got another Switch 2 rumor.
I really hope it’s announced next month because I think we’re beginning to surpass the original “NX” fever pitch :lol:

From NateTheHate: Backwards Compatable dev kits are being sent out now. He has also reaffirmed that Backwards Compatability will be a major feature for the upcoming console.
It only makes sense. Nintendo said 122 million people were active last year. This isn’t like the Wii which became a dust collector for a lot of people, they’re going to want to give every incentive possible to OG Switch owners to upgrade.

Looks like if there is a Partner Nintendo Direct tomorrow it’ll be a shadow drop at 9AM. This has apparently happened before with Partner Directs and I think I recall one like that.

Reactions: mccgavin
Just my own speculation but them skipping a February Direct entirely (unless it turns out to be next week) lends further credence to the Switch 2 being on its way. It means we’re at the end and there’s not much to announce that needs a Direct. Peach is getting info drops without one and all we need for Paper Mario and Luigi’s Mansion are dates. Unless there’s added content we already know those games.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Just my own speculation but them skipping a February Direct entirely (unless it turns out to be next week) lends further credence to the Switch 2 being on its way. It means we’re at the end and there’s not much to announce that needs a Direct. Peach is getting info drops without one and all we need for Paper Mario and Luigi’s Mansion are dates. Unless there’s added content we already know those games.
Jeff Grubb updated it on Tuesday, but they are skipping this week because of XBOX. Similar aspect to how the queen's death seemingly affected things.

Reactions: mccgavin and Mike S
This guy has leaked a lot in the past including the contents of Directs.

In other news one guy is saying 2025 for the Switch 2 while everyone else says 2024. We’ll see who’s right.

I mean I don't need a switch 2 now....but weird to not have it come out sooner to get more money soon for Nintendo. Feels like if it came out before the fall it would like the Wii all those years ago...plus delaying the new system means delaying some games you assume they are working on and would like to see now like a new mario kart or main line mario game

Reactions: Mike S
I mean I don't need a switch 2 now....but weird to not have it come out sooner to get more money soon for Nintendo. Feels like if it came out before the fall it would like the Wii all those years ago...plus delaying the new system means delaying some games you assume they are working on and would like to see now like a new mario kart or main line mario game
I’m not going to believe it until more people back it up. Everyone is saying 2024.

I may not need it but I want the Switch 2 this year lol

Reactions: Jerroddragon