Ghostbusters coming back to UO? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters coming back to UO?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Someone with the ability to measure acreage may correct me, but I’m curious about this space as well. Especially because I don’t think RRR in its current form is long for this world.
View attachment 20636
Not specifically about this - but the FFL plot + MIB tent space comes out to just over 2 acres.

This is larger than Mummy as well as ET and Transformers. Also, almost the exact size of the Gringotts show building.

That spot has a lot more potential than people think!

My theory is that if the Potter show and HTTYD show at Epic are success, Universal will finally begin to reinvest in shows.

As mentioned in the video, Villain Con and the rumored Luigi’s Mansion ride utilize tech that would be best for Ghostbusters.

Make this a show, you can do a lot with this property show wise. Could easily be same scale as the Potter and HTTYD show at epic and would be a welcome addition.

If I were the one calling the shots, I would repurpose the old plans for the SLoP ride we were supposed to get (The trackless ride) and repurpose it for Ghostbusters. You can have the queue be the same style as the current SLOP ride.

Would love the queue to go through the Firehouse (duh), and then go through Dana’s apartment. Then have the ride in the second floor.

I feel like Revenge of the Mummy has long outlived the movies it's based on, becoming a classic in it's own right regardless of the relevancy of the IP. Personally, I think it would take a runaway hit IP or a serious lack of care for them to remove Mummy at this point, and I don't expect the new GB movie to be super successful at all. Maybe I'm in the minority here tho lmao

I feel like Revenge of the Mummy has long outlived the movies it's based on, becoming a classic in it's own right regardless of the relevancy of the IP. Personally, I think it would take a runaway hit IP or a serious lack of care for them to remove Mummy at this point, and I don't expect the new GB movie to be super successful at all. Maybe I'm in the minority here tho lmao
I agree mummy is not going anywhere, but I don't know, I watched the trailer for GB and thought it would be really good. I haven't watched any of them except the originals and this is the first I am interested in.

Reactions: Ahmanet
By the way I'm not referring to my opinion on the quality of the movie itself, but my opinion on how it'll probably perform based on recent box office trends. Right now, I can't say I think another legacy sequel will do great, especially combined with the low box office numbers across the board in past months, and I certainly don't think it'll do well enough replace a classic E-ticket, let alone get an E-ticket period.

Reactions: Ahmanet
I can't imagine replacing ROTM would be likely (for the reason others have already said), but it would be pretty typical for Universal to replace yet another attraction I love while leaving a bunch that I don't.

I wasn’t alive when the first Ghostbusters movies were made so maybe I’m missing something…but in watching the original, it’s nothing more than a standard workplace-type comedy, right? Yes, very high concept, but structurally similar to any ‘80’s comedy. Even the climactic setpiece involves the characters…reluctant to jump in and essentially doing nothing?

With that lens, I just find it super interesting whenever Ghostbusters gets rumored for an overlay to existing thrill rides based on action movies. It always reads to me like wanting to make a ride out of a Judd Apatow movie.

I wasn’t alive when the first Ghostbusters movies were made so maybe I’m missing something…but in watching the original, it’s nothing more than a standard workplace-type comedy, right? Yes, very high concept, but structurally similar to any ‘80’s comedy. Even the climactic setpiece involves the characters…reluctant to jump in and essentially doing nothing?

With that lens, I just find it super interesting whenever Ghostbusters gets rumored for an overlay to existing thrill rides based on action movies. It always reads to me like wanting to make a ride out of a Judd Apatow movie.
As someone who was 12 and in the target demographic when it came out ... that's a fair criticism. Some factors set it apart back in the day, tho:
  • It was Bill Murray establishing himself as a movie star (he'd done SNL, and stole the movies he'd been in before, but this was his star turn).
  • Surprisingly edgy for a PG film at the time. I could argue even edgier than PG films today.
  • Bit of the Seinfeld Effect -- it's been copied so many times since that the original feels tired or trite. But if you were there in 1984 it felt fresh.
  • Related to that, the special effects were great for the time, and you just didn't see comedies using big effects like that. Comedy was either Woody Allen being smart or Rodney Dangerfield being gross. BTTF all the way to Free Guy--they follow in Ghostbuster's footsteps.
  • It really captured the zeitgeist the way movies rarely do anymore. Merch and the theme song were everywhere that Summer. Then they followed it up with the sequel and the better-than-it-should;ve-been cartoon. and all the toys. Not quite Star Wars, but pretty close to the level of Batman '89. In the fractured 2000s you just don't see that anymore.
Now go turn down that music and get off my lawn.