Ghostbusters coming back to UO? | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Ghostbusters coming back to UO?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
  • Related to that, the special effects were great for the time, and you just didn't see comedies using big effects like that. Comedy was either Woody Allen being smart or Rodney Dangerfield being gross. BTTF all the way to Free Guy--they follow in Ghostbuster's footsteps.
You know…Back to the Future was my favorite ride when it was there and yet as a movie it’s maybe an even more confusing thrill ride candidate than Ghostbusters.

As a huge movie nerd I really appreciate your response, but that BttF point drives it home.

Yeah, Ghostbusters is a confounding IP to work with because it's a legacied franchise largely devoted to the set, prop, and character designs from a cynical 80s comedy film. There's a parallel universe where Caddyshack got the 40+ year running franchise with toy lines, legacy reboot sequels, theme park shows, etc.

That said, it's a very, very good 80s comedy imo and the things people hang onto from it like Ecto-1, Proton Packs, the Ghostbusters costumes, Stay Puft, the theme song, etc are all incredibly iconic and well made. It's clear why kids from the 80s haven't traded in their Ghostbusters toys like they have for some other lesser franchises. It's a classic IP and clearly deserves some rep in the parks, especially since we're now getting new theatrical movies including both the old and new Ghostbusters. If the time was ever right to bring them back to USF, it's now.

Having just watched "Ghostbusters Afterlife" again tonight (since it's been a while), I agree that there needs to be a presence within the park again. You can feed off nostalgia while also giving something fresh/new.

A dark ride would be fun, but a special effects driven "attraction show" like before would be just as good. I'd say bring back the hilariously entertaining street show (featuring Beetlejuice), but use an updated playlist for his possession songs (KPOP!!) :devil:

Comedy was either Woody Allen being smart or Rodney Dangerfield being gross.
Not so fast!

Some of the greatest comedy films of all time were released between 1978 and 1983!

To name a few:

Caddyshack
Animal House
A Christmas Story
Life of Brian
Airplane!
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Jerk
Stripes
National Lampoon’s Vacation
The Meaning of Life
The Blues Brothers
Trading Places
Up in Smoke
History of the World Part 1

Classics!!!

Having just watched "Ghostbusters Afterlife" again tonight (since it's been a while), I agree that there needs to be a presence within the park again. You can feed off nostalgia while also giving something fresh/new.

A dark ride would be fun, but a special effects driven "attraction show" like before would be just as good. I'd say bring back the hilariously entertaining street show (featuring Beetlejuice), but use an updated playlist for his possession songs (KPOP!!) :devil:
Here's a good compromise: Orlando gets the SFX show back and Hollywood gets a dark ride. I think that would be fair considering Orlando has both Mario Kart (Or will), MIB, and possibly Luigi's Mansion :grinning:

I just want a MIB-style dark ride themed to Ghostbusters. If they're eyeing the MIB plot for future expansion space (Even though it's my favorite shooter ride), they need to build a new ride that does all the good things MIB does but better, and Ghostbusters would fit that bill.

I wouldn't mind the return of the Pepper's Ghost show for GB, but I would only be down for that if they intend on keeping Men In Black forever....which I doubt they will. So I think a dark ride is the best choice for this.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Not so fast!

Some of the greatest comedy films of all time were released between 1978 and 1983!

To name a few:

Caddyshack
Animal House
A Christmas Story
Life of Brian
Airplane!
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Jerk
Stripes
National Lampoon’s Vacation
The Meaning of Life
The Blues Brothers
Trading Places
Up in Smoke
History of the World Part 1

Classics!!!
You missed Cannonball Run.

But regardless, none of these required the big budget special effects that were all the rage with those new Summer blockbusters. Ghostbusters was the first to merge those two genres. Makes it uniquely geared to theme park rides (and probably kids as well, closely related).

I wasn’t alive when the first Ghostbusters movies were made so maybe I’m missing something…but in watching the original, it’s nothing more than a standard workplace-type comedy, right? Yes, very high concept, but structurally similar to any ‘80’s comedy. Even the climactic setpiece involves the characters…reluctant to jump in and essentially doing nothing?

With that lens, I just find it super interesting whenever Ghostbusters gets rumored for an overlay to existing thrill rides based on action movies. It always reads to me like wanting to make a ride out of a Judd Apatow movie.
As another person not alive at the time - I agree. I love the movie, but it is a slightly plussed concept of a schlubby comedy. It's not an action or thrilling movie at all, outside of the very ending. And like you said, the climax features all the characters being very apprehensive about actually facing the threat.

*thinks back to the rumor that Ghostbusters would replace Mummy…*
I know we've already clarified Mummy ain't going anywhere, but I'm just curious, was there any specific details about what this rumor? If it woulda been a retheming of the coaster or a new ride altogether?

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
With that lens, I just find it super interesting whenever Ghostbusters gets rumored for an overlay to existing thrill rides based on action movies. It always reads to me like wanting to make a ride out of a Judd Apatow movie.
I'd also say this is a stretch. It's more like trying to make a ride out of Romancing the Stone :devil:

I'm totally fine with ancillary or theme park material based on the original film, but I find the recent films' hagiographic tone to be boring, cynical, and out of step with the tone of the original movies.

Didn’t know they were trying to make that a thing. I’m glad they scrapped it as it would be way too much sensory overload. You would try to enjoy the coaster while trying to get the high score. That sounds more frustrating than fun.
From my understanding, that’s basically why they scrapped that idea. It was just too much to be enjoyable.

But, it’s a big reason I’ve been expecting a Ghostbusters shooter in New York to relieve pressure on MiB, which opens that space up for Pokémon expansion in the future.

That isn’t to say a Ghostbusters indoor family coaster (or a straight retheme of Mummy) couldn’t be the direction they go. A retheme of Tonight show, where the lobby becomes the fire house, could work as well. That side of the park is fairly “new,” so I’d be surprised if it’s not a retheme.

Shandor Mining Company walk through attraction would work ...

Hopefully all this GB smoke means the studio is confident in the new movie

Shandor Mining Company walk through attraction would work ...
Forget walk-through (haunted) attraction. Retheme Mummy since the ride vehicles are already mine carts. Just enhance the queue with more carvings & less emphasis on Egyptian.

Appearances from Gozer, the new big bad Garraka, other spooks spectres & ghosts.

As much as I love Mummy, it could totally work

• Love
Reactions: Ahmanet
Other than HHN, all rumors are for the classic Ghostbusters. So, no.
Good. If we're going to make a ride (Hopefully!) or attraction based on the Ghostbusters, it should focus solely on that. No offense to the new blood, but when I think Ghostbusters, just about everyone thinks of the the OGs.

But lowkey, I would rather see FE be turned into a house than a mashup of 1 & 2.

Reactions: HHNObsession
One problem with a ride/attraction based on the original Ghostbusters is their age. Unless they do it like the 90s & have lookalike actors rather than screenbased footage. Even queue video.

However, if they set it to modern day, you can have them reprise their roles in the mentor capacity. Rip-off/Copy the Transformers & MIB gimmick of us being the "new recruits"