Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The issue I see trying to close Shrek at Orlando, is that if KidZone shuts down after HHN, as nearly everyone is expecting, that would leave the Studios park in an even graver situation concerning capacity and childrens/family attractions. Risky move to close Shrek now unless they could get a Kung Fu replacement at Orlando up and running in 60 days (after closing Shrek) or less.

Reactions: Andysol and Ryan
Let's start the discussion: Shrek 4D at USH has a closing date in August, rumored to be replaced with Kung Fu Panda

Of course, this begs the question of the attraction's future at USF. Half of the building is already shuttered for an HHN maze every year, and while it's not the oldest 4D show there, it is arguably not favored at all.

Do you guys see this USH addition coming over to the east anytime soon?
I am wondering why it isn't here already?

Maybe @Mad Dog has a point with kiddie capacity

Reactions: Mad Dog
Risky move to close Shrek now unless they could get a Kung Fu replacement at Orlando up and running in 60 days (after closing Shrek) or less.

True, but it can't be very hard. Minor attraction signage changes and retheme the preshow area, and you're done. Dare I say this could be done faster than the changeover of Disaster fom Earthquake.

Reactions: Andysol and Mad Dog
True, but it can't be very hard. Minor attraction signage changes and retheme the preshow area, and you're done. Dare I say this could be done faster than the changeover of Disaster fom Earthquake.
Yes, that's probably the main issue. We'll get a better idea when Universal publishes a timeline for closing & replacement. If it's real short I can see it happening. If it's long I don't see it happening within the year.....Plus depending if they will go all out theming the building like they did for Despicable Me in Hollywood. That could be time consuming.

Remember, however, that USH has a very well-themed exterior queue that may require extra time. And from what I'm hearing, this addition would open in early 2018.

Remember, however, that USH has a very well-themed exterior queue that may require extra time. And from what I'm hearing, this addition would open in early 2018.
Relating to that, time will depend if they want to retheme the building to a high degree like they did with Despicable Me in Hollywood. Since Universal seems to be upgrading their sight lines (and the present Shrek Orlando attraction is an eyesore) that could take more time in Orlando then they can afford capacity wise.

Reactions: Ryan
Interesting, since Kung Fu panda is a meet and greet now at IOA.
I am wondering though, is Kung Fu Panda still popular, or are they doing a new movie?

Relating to that, time will depend if they want to retheme the building to a high degree like they did with Despicable Me in Hollywood. Since Universal seems to be upgrading their sight lines (and the present Shrek Orlando attraction is an eyesore) that could take more time in Orlando then they can afford capacity wise.

True, but couldn't such things be done while the attraction is operating? Of course that's little outside of Uni's MO, but if push comes to shove...

I am wondering though, is Kung Fu Panda still popular, or are they doing a new movie?

Adding a minion style facade to the Shrek building would just make sight lines even worse in the park. I think the building will stay as is.

Kung Fu Panda 3 was released last year and cleared half a billion at the worldwide box office. There's also a Nickelodeon series that I believe is still airing.

Is there already a Kung Fu Panda 4d film at another theme park like Motiongate? Wondering if they would do something original for this.

Reactions: anihilnation
This does have 2 theaters, right? Could they just keep one side open and work on the other, then vice versa?

Biggest issue in Orlando is just timing. Fast and Furious for 2018 and IOA desperately needs another ride in the works for a 2019 / 2020 debut if indeed Nintendo opens in 2021.

Biggest issue in Orlando is just timing. Fast and Furious for 2018 and IOA desperately needs another ride in the works for a 2019 / 2020 debut if indeed Nintendo opens in 2021.
Agreed. Still sounding like DC goes away & more HP comes pretty simultaneous with Nintendo. Potter one year, Nintendo another. Not sure of the order though.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Nobody is more in favor of getting rid of Shrek than me... but replacing it with another 4D-type show seems like it would be a really poor decision. I get that it would be relatively easy and cost-effective, but I think I'd honestly rather just see the building leveled and incorporated into a new entry plaza before another 3D experience. Of course, my ultimate preference would be for a multi-level dark ride to go into that spot.

I think the series is fondly regarded by its target audience and is successful enough, although the domestic box office trajectory is decidedly down film-to-film. Five or six years ago would have been a great time to really use the IP; I'm not sure how much life it still has left in it.

Universal Studios Beijing still happening right?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ryan
Yes ground is already broken and Comcast/Uni is still hiring and has job openings in Beijing for this project as well as continuing their dreamwork project in Shanghai just not being active in day to day ops.
Yep, there's been more than a few job listings in the past year for foreign projects. I even saw one for Moscow :saywhat:.

Nobody is more in favor of getting rid of Shrek than me... but replacing it with another 4D-type show seems like it would be a really poor decision. I get that it would be relatively easy and cost-effective, but I think I'd honestly rather just see the building leveled and incorporated into a new entry plaza before another 3D experience. Of course, my ultimate preference would be for a multi-level dark ride to go into that spot.

I think the series is fondly regarded by its target audience and is successful enough, although the domestic box office trajectory is decidedly down film-to-film. Five or six years ago would have been a great time to really use the IP; I'm not sure how much life it still has left in it.
:thumbsup: My exact feelings too. Fix the entrance & new dark ride. That's probably a few years away, unfortunately, since there's so much going on.