Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Shrek 4-D Orlando

(you guys if Beijing's budget is paying for the R&D, production and Creative for the project then it makes sense to plop it in as many parks as possible for a very cheap new addition that assists with capacity especially when a certain park is closing a certain kids area down and another park desperately needs a new addition as well)

NdNGbXC.gif

If Universal doesn't take the opportunity to decrease the number of 3D attractions right at the front of the park, a possible Shrek replacement is a wasted chance. Seems like very short sighted thinking to me to just drop in another show if that's what ends up happening. There are other options that would be truly beneficial to the long term health park.

If Universal doesn't take the opportunity to decrease the number of 3D attractions right at the front of the park, a possible Shrek replacement is a wasted chance. Seems like very short sighted thinking to me to just drop in another show if that's what ends up happening. There are other options that would be truly beneficial to the long term health park.

Yea, but this costs close to 0.

Universal Orlando has 3 major projects coming in the next 4-5 years:
1) Nintendo
2) Potter Ride 3
3) Park 3 and surrounding resort

Switching Shrek out for a new show gives them some filler for 2019 while Nintendo is getting finished up.

We all know Glasses Alley is an issue, but it's an issue to take care of in the future, not when there are more pressing projects to get moving.

1) Nintendo
2) Potter Ride 3

Switching Shrek out for a new show gives them some filler for 2019 while Nintendo is getting finished up.

We all know Glasses Alley is an issue, but it's an issue to take care of in the future, not when there are more pressing projects to get moving.

I get that there are bigger fish to fry, certainly.

1) Nintendo
2) Potter Ride 3

With Potter ride 3, do you mean the DC project? Or an expansion of London?

Whichever rumor we're on now, I'm not keeping track. There's another Potter ride coming soon. That's about as much as I know.
Would be nice of they could expand both HP lands simultaneously, but then, if Nintendo indeed breaks ground after HHN, then I guess getting rid of FF whiles till working on F&F might be too much construction.

Still sad to see IOA not getting anything other than a possible DC refurb/replacement (hopefully 2 attractions and a new restaurant).

There have been a lot of great ideas proposed for it since 2014:
Discovery Center dark ride and Amber Mine junior wooden coaster for JP
Lorax or Grinch dark ride next to Cat in the Hat
Wonka, Grinch or another IP replacing Lost Continent
SLOP dark ride in Toon Lagoon Theater
Avengers or Iron Man E-ticket replacing Doom and likely the Carnage warehouse
Nighttime show on the lagoon
Hogsmeade expansion (likely Forbidden Forest) to replace DC

While I understand a lot of projects have been competing in Orlando, I still think the JP expansion/revamp and nighttime show should have been done by now. Nothing opened in 2015, so it would have been a great time to prepare that section of the park for Kong in 2016.

Is the momentum going to shift towards IOA soon? I can't imagine so since Shrek, E.T. (if they decide to keep it and not use its plot for Yoshi), Fear Factor, T2 and, to a much, much lesser degree, Mummy/MIB will need to be addressed within the next decade.

Still sad to see IOA not getting anything other than a possible DC refurb/replacement (hopefully 2 attractions and a new restaurant).

There have been a lot of great ideas proposed for it since 2014:
Discovery Center dark ride and Amber Mine junior wooden coaster for JP
Lorax or Grinch dark ride next to Cat in the Hat
Wonka, Grinch or another IP replacing Lost Continent
SLOP dark ride in Toon Lagoon Theater
Avengers or Iron Man E-ticket replacing Doom and likely the Carnage warehouse
Nighttime show on the lagoon
Hogsmeade expansion (likely Forbidden Forest) to replace DC

While I understand a lot of projects have been competing in Orlando, I still think the JP expansion/revamp and nighttime show should have been done by now. Nothing opened in 2015, so it would have been a great time to prepare that section of the park for Kong in 2016.

Is the momentum going to shift towards IOA soon? I can't imagine so since Shrek, E.T. (if they decide to keep it and not use its plot for Yoshi), Fear Factor, T2 and, to a much, much lesser degree, Mummy/MIB will need to be addressed within the next decade.
According to forum contributor Quint it appears something is happening in relation to Fear Factor in the near future, and Quint's info is usually pretty good.

So, Universal's announced the Kung Fu Panda/Dreamworks replacement for Shrek in Hollywood. Orlando was conspicuously absent from inclusion in those plans. Seems to imply Shrek is sticking around for a while in Florida.

And as for the overall replacement concept itself...

giphy.gif

As such, I have mixed feelings about this. I want Shrek gone immediately (if not sooner), but not for just another 3D/4D show. So I don't know how to feel about Hollywood's concept not (at this time) coming east!

Even if this was coming to Orlando, they don't usually do bi-costal announcements. Remember that Potter Xmas was announced for Florida two months ago, and just now announced for Hollywood.

Anyways, I believe it's not in the plans at the moment... but that can easily change. Unlike Hollywood, the Orlando version would require barely anything to be changed on the outside.

Then again, this time a year ago I thought The Walking Dead Attraction coming to USF was a sure thing as well so you never know!

I think there's two possible plans here:

1) There's bigger plans for Shrek 4D and the entrance space and those plans aren't ready yet. Please let it be this.
2) Universal is just waiting until after the summer to announce the closure because they want the capacity

I usually don't fault a park for having a 4D theater that they update with new films, while keeping the theater format. But with Despicable Me, Fallon, and Terminator in close proximity, something needs to give.

So I'm also hoping they have bigger plans for that area. Would be nice to see a screen based attraction give way to a practical attraction, instead of the other way around, for a change.

That being said, a new film in the Shrek building would be an improvement over what is currently there, so I wouldn't be mad to see Kung Fu Panda or something else give Shrek the boot (and then maybe they could give Shrek a proper dark ride in the new park?).