Fast & Furious: Supercharged/Nighttime Studio Tour | Inside Universal Forums

Fast & Furious: Supercharged/Nighttime Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 10, 2013
No man's land: SoCal
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/business/media/a-makeover-of-universal-studios-hollywood-aims-to-catch-up-to-disney.html

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. — Now Comcast is mouse hunting on both coasts.

After pouring money into its Universal Resort in Orlando, Fla., Comcast is increasing spending at Universal Studios Hollywood, unveiling a smattering of new attractions on Tuesday that — when combined with previously announced sections devoted to Harry Potter and “Despicable Me” — will leave 70 percent of the California park remade by 2016.

The enhancements, part of a $1.6 billion overhaul of the park and adjacent movie studio, are designed to keep Universal’s thrill-ride fans coming back but also to begin attracting attract families with young children, a lucrative audience that Universal until recently left almost entirely to nearby Disneyland.

“We’re trying to significantly broaden our base,” said Larry Kurzweil, president of Universal Studios Hollywood, which drew roughly 6 million visitors last year. “This isn’t about adding rides. It’s about a complete transformation.”

He may not be exaggerating. When Universal Orlando opened the Wizarding World of Harry Potter four years ago, that resort went from an also-ran to a must-visit almost overnight. Year-on-year attendance shot up 30 percent as families swarmed the snow-capped shops of Hogsmeade and rode three Potter-themed rides.

To prepare for a similar surge here — a Wizarding World will open at this hilltop park in 2016 — Comcast’s NBCUniversal is adding thousands of parking spaces, spending about $100 million to improve transit and planning two 500-room hotels. But those efforts are crumbs compared to what is planned inside the gates.

On Saturday a “Despicable Me” attraction called Minion Mayhem will begin transforming riders into furry yellow Minions and taking them on a topsy-turvy excursion. Also opening is a water-themed play area called Super Silly Fun Land, a version of the seaside carnival from “Despicable Me.”

“That is our first real kiddie ride,” Mr. Kurzweil said during a pre-opening tour, pointing to a contraption called Silly Swirly, a new brightly colored offering similar to Disney’s flying Dumbo attraction, except with exotic bugs instead of elephants. “I rode it earlier myself,” he added with a smile.

The park, which will soon celebrate its 50th anniversary, said that it would also expand its “Simpsons” ride to include an entire themed village. The area, similar to one at Universal Orlando but more expansive, will add about a dozen restaurants and shops to the center of the park and open next year.

Also coming next year, the company said on Tuesday, will be “Fast & Furious – Supercharged,” a movie-thrill ride hybrid in which occupants of Universal’s famed back-lot trams will be encircled by 400-foot-long movie screens. “We’re going to make it feel like those trams are being pulled through the streets at speeds of over 100 miles per hour,” said Chick Russell, an executive producer for Universal Creative.

Universal’s tram tours, which currently end at sunset, will be expanded into the evening hours. There are plans for a new nighttime story line, which will be accompanied by lighting effects at more than 20 stops.

Continue reading the main story

Continue reading the main storyAdvertisement

To some degree, the remaking of Universal Studios Hollywood is less about stealing market share from Disney than catching up after years of semi-neglect. Universal’s California outpost has occasionally added new attractions, including a “Transformers” ride in 2012 and a “King Kong” experience in 2010. But Universal’s various recent owners — General Electric, Vivendi, Seagram — were all more interested in wringing cash from the theme parks than putting any in.

In contrast, the Walt Disney Company was investing heavily in its two-park Disneyland Resort 35 miles to the south in Anaheim, Calif. Disney recently spent $1 billion to expand its California Adventure park there, for instance.

Comcast has discovered — to its surprise — that theme parks represent one of the few areas of stable entertainment industry growth outside of cable television. Universal parks had operating income of about $1 billion last year, up 5.3 percent from a year earlier, according to financial filings. Revenue increased 7.2 percent.

Now Comcast, which bought control of NBCUniversal in 2011, also wants to grow by going after families, which have long been Disney’s bread and butter. “Our guests at this park used to start at about 11 years old and go up from there,” said Ron Meyer, vice chairman of NBCUniversal. “That’s no longer the case. We now have something for everybody, even very young children, with much more on the way.”

Disney, which declined to comment for this article, has repeatedly dismissed the threat of greater competition from Universal in Florida, arguing that a rising tide lifts all boats. (Most analysts agree with that theory.) Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, has also questioned Comcast’s zeal for theme parks over the long term.

“I think the jury is still out to see just how much they’re willing to invest and what kind of creativity they have to invest in,” Mr. Iger said on a November call with analysts in response to a question about competition from Comcast.

Stephen B. Burke, a Comcast executive vice president and chief executive of the NBCUniversal unit, declined an interview request. In an emailed statement, he said in part, “Going forward, we plan to keep investing.”

Mr. Burke, who spent over a decade at Disney, working for a time as a senior parks manager, added, “Our parks are well-run and firing on all cylinders.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I am really intrigued by the "night tram" as well. The only thing that I don't like is that it is confirming more and more that they are trying to get rid of the "studio" lol. I thought one of the reasons why they didn't go past sunset was so films could be shot without any chance of interruptions more easily?

Reactions: JaySalahi and Chris
No, the reason the tours don't run late is for noise ordinance with the neighboring homes.  As you can see, they are creating a "night tour" to help keep an attraction open, but I highly doubt there will be much activity near those homes.  This also would confirm why they are building the sound wall right now near the F&F area.

Reactions: JaySalahi
They got as close as they could to saying 3D simulator without saying 3D simulator. Can't wait to see the reactions from the general public once they hear we're getting another simulator.

Also, 3DHD basically confirms 4K screens due to the same terminology being used for Transformers.

Fast & Furious and Springfield: Ok, we knew this already

Night tram tours: :eek: :eek: S^&t just got real.

Heres my thoughts. First up, I am graciously happy that Universal actauly is saying about they're fifty anniversary as it makes me in joy. With Despicable me being a hit, it seems logicial to have Nighttime tours as its not going to be less crowded and if it relates to what I hope ( King Kong, Flash Flood, Parting the Waters, Earthquake, Moar jaws, and F&F) It'd make me really in joy which I have a feeling some of those are going to be in and maybe all but we'll see. I'm curious if they're going to announce later the new Tour host but we'll see. Then Springfield isn't suprising but the thing that kicks me is this: Dozen Shops and restraunts. That kicks me as I'm now suspecting that they might've got rid of the Palm tree walkway but we'll see. With giving that; I'm excited and If anyone can. theres a new Poster for Fast and Furious so someone get that.

The night-time tours are being added in 2015 simply since hours are going to go very late in 2016 way more often, and they'll need something to offset the high night capacity. So essentially adding a new "version" of the Studio Tour is the way to do it. (also don't be surprised if they get a new host, too)

Nice to see F&F Supercharged confirmed as well as that awesome expansive Springfield facade which was even better than I imagined. So will F&F have real props interacting (which is implied), or is this just going to be just the screens? I'm guessing they might have smoke and lighting effects at the very least.

Reactions: Jwhee
Those people leaving those comments are just lame Disney boys. you can just tell that they are hating that universal is becoming legit competition. Anyways I dont want to ruin such a good day . let's not worry about what others say about universal . its finally really nice to see universal growing and as fans of theme park it just means good news for us . besides that fact of the huge cluster F@#k that's coming soon as well

I guess this should confirm that King 360 will get a projection upgrade.  I wonder if they would go as far as to hand you the glasses and take them away at F&F.  Because these glasses are super expensive and I can only imagine many will be lost, stolen or fall off the tram in the course of an hour.

I do think kong is getting the 4K upgrade but heres a theory on the Nighttime scene. What if they add a new Kong scene while the 4K screens get updated for night.

The poster looks so great! But we'll be just getting another 3D movie. I'm just not thrilled with them. I vaguely remember Battlestar (I was really little) but I remember being thrilled. I wonder if little kids are as thrilled by a 3D movie as I was by robots and people running out and fighting them right in front of me....

Imagine real cars racing past the tram (even on tracks) and flipping and exploding in a ball of flame.

I am not a fan of this part of the studio tour. This 360 ride thing is not as cool as animatronics if you made them look real enough. DCA did a bunch with Radiator Springs Racers and it looks pretty good. Personally I miss the old King Kong crappy animatronics room on the tour. It didn't look realistic but it was cool.

Reactions: Chris
Is no one else surprised that no kind of refurbishment or enhancements were announced to be in store for Jurassic Park- The Ride? Granted, maybe that is just something they'll suddenly do without making any kind of announcement, but there is going to be a new film coming out in just a little over a year. I'd be shocked if they didn't make some kind of adjustments to the ride to coincide with the release of a new film (which is a big deal that there will be one, given the last film came out in 2001).

Is no one else surprised that no kind of refurbishment or enhancements were announced to be in store for Jurassic Park- The Ride? Granted, maybe that is just something they'll suddenly do without making any kind of announcement, but there is going to be a new film coming out in just a little over a year. I'd be shocked if they didn't make some kind of adjustments to the ride to coincide with the release of a new film (which is a big deal that there will be one, given the last film came out in 2001).
your right of the Jp thing but i think if I hope will happen will be a Possible May 1st employee tell-all announcement.