Console Gaming (General) | Page 35 | Inside Universal Forums

Console Gaming (General)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
No info but I think Thursdays are usually the day for Nintendo Directs as well and if this one is a third party partners Direct like Nate the Hate thinks it will be… I don’t think it would be a coincidence if both of these events happen on the same day. Big IF.

I heard the rumor that they were pushing that back to March.

here we go batman GIF

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I want Phil Spence to come out smelling money "smells like a bunch of suckers bought our Xbox's.....we are going third party....you can buy our games anywhere...complain all you want you will buy Elder Scrolls 6"

• Haha
Reactions: Mike S
I personally believe the rumors that this game could be going multi-platform, but this is just a tweet commemorating Valentines Day.

It still could be a tease considering the colors used lol.

Moving on is it just me or does this console generation seem strangely small? I may be a Nintendo only owner but I still follow all gaming news.
It seems like the PS5 just started getting big games that weren’t also on PS4 and we’re already moving towards the end? I’m starting to think we’re entering an age of big diminishing returns the more powerful consoles become due to how much longer games will take to develop to push the hardware. The games will look better but there will be less of them overall. The only devs that will avoid this trap will be ones that aren’t trying to push with every single release.

The Sony not having a major game coming out this year is just insane
I can’t help but think back to the PS3 and how Naughty Dog was able to put out the first 3 Uncharted games and The Last of Us in a single generation. Then on the PS4 they put out Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2. Now, nearly 4 years into the PS5, we have only the full remake of the first Last of Us. Diminishing returns.

I’m not counting the remastered games on PS4 and 5 because those aren’t fully built games and are naturally smaller projects.

I can’t help but think back to the PS3 and how Naughty Dog was able to put out the first 3 Uncharted games and The Last of Us in a single generation. Then on the PS4 they put out Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2. Now, nearly 4 years into the PS5, we have only the full remake of the first Last of Us. Diminishing returns.

I’m not counting the remastered games on PS4 and 5 because those aren’t fully built games and are naturally smaller projects.
Same

I wish people went the Nintendo route, like they put out 8-12 games a year with the same or less studios

Just insane

Probably also helps that they used to make games for two consoles at a time, and are now only making games for one. They're also making games with aesthetic styles that presumably don't necessitate massive graphical/technical overhauls.

The only way it would ever make sense for Sony to output the same quantity of games is to start making these games at a sustainable scale. I wouldn't be surprised if, outside of a few titles, Nintendo games continued to look pretty much comparable to their counterparts on the Switch.

Last edited:
Probably also helps that they used to make games for two consoles at a time, and are now only making games for one.

The only way it would ever make sense for Sony to output the same quantity of games is to start making these games at a sustainable scale. I wouldn't be surprised if, outside of a few titles, Nintendo games continued to look pretty much comparable to their counterparts on the Switch.
I think there will be a noticeable jump when comparing the same franchise between Switch and Switch 2 but not every game franchise will be pushed to the limit if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I think there will be a noticeable jump when comparing the same franchise between Switch and Switch 2 but not every game franchise will be pushed to the limit if that makes sense.
I think there will be a concerted jump in scale and performance afforded by the new hardware, but I don't expect, like, Mario's mustache to gain 10,000 polygons and hair follicle physics just for the sake of ze graphics.

Obviously, this only really applies to Nintendo, I'm sure all the Western studios will be doing what they usually do and burying their industry in their chase to somehow reconcile extreme photo-realism and faux cinema aesthetics.

Speaking on moving from two platforms to only one it amazes me how Nintendo still holds back. 3D and 2D Mario mostly only came once per platform and the Switch stuck to that only giving us Odyssey and Wonder as actual new titles though we still got the ports of 3D World and NSMBU. The funniest one is how we didn’t even get a new Mario Kart! Lol
I think there will be a concerted jump in scale and performance afforded by the new hardware, but I don't expect, like, Mario's mustache to gain 10,000 polygons and hair follicle physics just for the sake of ze graphics.

Obviously, this only really applies to Nintendo, I'm sure all the Western studios will be doing what they usually do and burying their industry in their chase to somehow reconcile extreme photo-realism and faux cinema aesthetics.
What stinks for Western studios is that they can’t even get out of this. Years of marketing dogma pushing photo realistic graphics and huge games have made it so that if they tried to make smaller scale and more sustainable projects to support the bigger ones a lot of the more mainstream gaming crowd wouldn’t accept it. Spider-Man 2 is by all accounts I’ve read a great game with a few nitpicks and that apparently cost $330 million to make. Only making cinematic games that cost that much cannot be sustainable. On the other side of the equation we have the latest Prince of Persia which according to Ubisoft had around 300,000 players but they were still happy with it. Probably because it didn’t cost them an arm and a leg to make.

Last edited:
Crazy times we live in where it seems like in the future all you’ll need is a PC and a Nintendo console and you’ll have access to any game you might want.
Obviously this is tied heavily to the cost of cinematic AAA games and why Nintendo will possibly be immune to this. Is it possible they foresaw something like this happening which is why they shifted strategy after the GameCube?

This would be the perfect time for Valve to take what they’ve learned from the success of the Steam Deck and make another attempt at a simplified box you can just connect to your TV. It’ll have basically every game on it as long as the PlayStation and Xbox releases come to Steam.

Last edited:

• 4 Games will be hitting competitor platforms (no games were specified as of this time. Rumors are Hi-Fi Rush; Pentiment; Grounded; and Sea of Thieves)
  • Indiana Jones & The Great Circle and Starfield will not be coming to competitor platforms
  • Next-Generation XBOX will be the "largest" technical leap seen in hardware generation shifts, teasing of Handheld XBOX and new hardware in the Holiday (the original leaks from the Activision/Blizzard documents suggest XBOX Brooklyn, a All-Digital Series X, expected for 2024).
  • Diablo IV debuts on Game Pass on March 28th

An XBOX Games Showcase will take place in June as-well.

• 4 Games will be hitting competitor platforms (no games were specified as of this time. Rumors are Hi-Fi Rush; Pentiment; Grounded; and Sea of Thieves)
  • Indiana Jones & The Great Circle and Starfield will not be coming to competitor platforms
  • Next-Generation XBOX will be the "largest" technical leap seen in hardware generation shifts, teasing of Handheld XBOX and new hardware in the Holiday (the original leaks from the Activision/Blizzard documents suggest XBOX Brooklyn, a All-Digital Series X, expected for 2024).
  • Diablo IV debuts on Game Pass on March 28th

An XBOX Games Showcase will take place in June as-well.

They should’ve just named the games here. Also unless Microsoft gave Disney an ungodly amount of money to get them to sign a contract they can’t go back on Indiana Jones WILL eventually come to others platforms if the sales disappoint Disney.

Also, why are we already talking about next gen. This one feels like it barely started since there’s major releases still coming to PS4/XBone. We’re only now seemingly getting out of that.

They should’ve just named the games here. Also unless Microsoft gave Disney an ungodly amount of money to get them to sign a contract they can’t go back on Indiana Jones WILL eventually come to others platforms if the sales disappoint Disney.

Also, why are we already talking about next gen. This one feels like it barely started since there’s major releases still coming to PS4/XBone. We’re only now seemingly getting out of that.

Odds are they are saving the games for an event to have them.

The rumored Nintendo Direct for instance--makes sense to have small games like Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment make their debut there.

Odds are they are saving the games for an event to have them.

The rumored Nintendo Direct for instance--makes sense to have small games like Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment make their debut there.
I still think something should’ve been confirmed here to put an end to at least some of the speculation.