Console Gaming (General) | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Console Gaming (General)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The market didn’t even want a PlayStation handheld the last time one released. Phil Spencer has flat out stated they’ve lost the hardware race and that their games aren’t appealing enough. What makes them think they can put out a successful handheld lol. They don’t have the same clout as Valve with the Steam Deck and even then that seems to be a more specialty item that’s not even sold at typical retail.
You’re thinking too deeply on this man. They’re already losing the hardware race to Sony really bad. They don’t care if they lose that though. They are simply trying something different than past few generations.

Microsoft is a software company first and foremost and that’s where it looks like they are shifting full attention when it comes to gaming.

The market didn’t even want a PlayStation handheld the last time one released. Phil Spencer has flat out stated they’ve lost the hardware race and that their games aren’t appealing enough. What makes them think they can put out a successful handheld lol. They don’t have the same clout as Valve with the Steam Deck and even then that seems to be a more specialty item that’s not even sold at typical retail.

I guess I just don’t get it.
WAIT wait wait

I was a Huge PS gamer at the time, there were some big mistakes made by PlayStation at the time this thing had like 100-200 dollar propriety memory cards
Also remote played sucked on it and now is wayyyyyy more useful because of cloud gaming

Along with many saying Sony didn't support it enough with new AAA games.

Loved that system but it didn't fail because people didn't want one look at the PSP that thing sold like hotcakes

So changing topics quickly, Disney has announced that they have purchased a $1.5B minority stake in Epic Games.

This is smart, who ever did this made the very right move

The Star Wars events in Fortnite are fun but man....I think the Marvel Season of Fortnite will never be topped. The Thanos mode, new weapons and power that season, all the locations were great and the event event was one of the best

So I think Epic can help Disney in the gaming space

Microsoft is a software company first and foremost and that’s where it looks like they are shifting full attention when it comes to gaming.
That’s why I don’t get it. Just do the software.
So changing topics quickly, Disney has announced that they have purchased a $1.5B minority stake in Epic Games.

I stopped playing Fortnite when the latest season completely messed up how locker presets work and removed the shuffle feature. The skins and making presets was a huge deal to me when it was finally added years ago at the start of Chapter 2 and now I’m just done. I’m back to only playing non-live service single player games and I feel like I’m better off for it. I no longer have a need to log in every day and can just play games at my own pace.
WAIT wait wait

I was a Huge PS gamer at the time, there were some big mistakes made by PlayStation at the time this thing had like 100-200 dollar propriety memory cards
Also remote played sucked on it and now is wayyyyyy more useful because of cloud gaming

Along with many saying Sony didn't support it enough with new AAA games.

Loved that system but it didn't fail because people didn't want one look at the PSP that thing sold like hotcakes
Yes I know the issues with the Vita were due to Sony’s own mistakes. The exclusive games mistake is one Microsoft will likely repeat with their handheld. My point was the difference of brand perception between PlayStation and Xbox. If a PlayStation handheld with no games sold poorly, what makes Microsoft think an Xbox handheld with no games is worth pursuing?

That’s why I don’t get it. Just do the software.

I stopped playing Fortnite when the latest season completely messed up how locker presets work and removed the shuffle feature. The skins and making presets was a huge deal to me when it was finally added years ago at the start of Chapter 2 and now I’m just done. I’m back to playing solo games and I feel like I’m better off for it. I no longer have a need to log in every day and can just play games at my own pace.

Yes I know the issues with the Vita were due to Sony’s own mistakes. The exclusive games mistake is one Microsoft will likely repeat with their handheld. My point was the difference of brand perception between PlayStation and Xbox. If a PlayStation handheld with no games sold poorly, what makes Microsoft think an Xbox handheld with no games is worth pursuing?
The same reason that 10 years the Xbox said it would be digital only and everyone got pissed

Now we have a PS and Xbox with no disc drive. Gaming Trends have changed

I don't know if I I'll get an Xbox portable but.....if it priced well and has features and games people want people will buy it

Plus Microsoft can eat the cost if it fails...they don't care they want the Xbox brand everywhere which I think in the end will work well, Sony needs to get on Streaming sooner then later...if Sony won't let you play PS on TV's in the next ten years they are letting Microsoft kill them in third party sales.

Nintendo might be able to survive with a walled Garden but that's because they make cheap games that have fans like me that are nostalgic and also they make complete games...unlike most studios now

Reactions: Mike S
Also something to think about: since Activision at the very least will be releasing on PlayStation (CoD), Xbox has recently asked for a PS5 dev kit supposedly since their studio make a PS5 game and they plan on releasing other games on PS.

Because of this, Xbox would get an early look at the PS6 due to needing a PS6 dev kit for games they release on that platform. That theoretically could give them a slight advantage in knowing in advance what a PS6 looks like hands on early on.

Also something to think about: since Activision at the very least will be releasing on PlayStation (CoD), Xbox has recently asked for a PS5 dev kit supposedly since their studio make a PS5 game and they plan on releasing other games on PS.

Because of this, Xbox would get an early look at the PS6 due to needing a PS6 dev kit for games they release on that platform. That theoretically could give them a slight advantage in knowing in advance what a PS6 looks like hands on early on.
I think Sony brought that up in court to block the merger.

I think Sony brought that up in court to block the merger.
Yeah but they had no leg to stand on bc Xbox isn’t holding CoD exclusive meaning anyone can play it. If Sony wants that “advantage” Xbox supposedly has they can release one of their games on Xbox.

Yeah but they had no leg to stand on bc Xbox isn’t holding CoD exclusive meaning anyone can play it. If Sony wants that “advantage” Xbox supposedly has they can release one of their games on Xbox.
Not CoD, the dev kits.

Not CoD, the dev kits.
They get dev kits bc activision is a publisher on the PS platform. If, say, Naughty Dog became a publisher by bringing something like a remastered version of the Jak & Daxter games to Xbox, that’s all it takes to get a Dev Kit.

They get dev kits bc activision is a publisher on the PS platform. If, say, Naughty Dog became a publisher by bringing something like a remastered version of the Jak & Daxter games to Xbox, that’s all it takes to get a Dev Kit.
I meant they brought up the idea of Microsoft using dev kits to get an advantage during the trial. That was one of their arguments to block the merger.

I meant they brought up the idea of Microsoft using dev kits to get an advantage during the trial. That was one of their arguments to block the merger.
Yeah, and I’m saying that holds no weight because if Sony wanted an Xbox dev kit they could easily have one.

Well, looks like the idea of giving these people Banjo Kazooie can be thrown in the trash.
From what I understand only the physical studio is closing and the people that are left will now work remotely. Still sucks though.

Boooooooooo Microsoft just booo you have more money then god

But are laying people off left and right just boooooo, this was another reason I was against the merger. It wasn't pro gamer it was for a powerful rich company to own more thats it

Reactions: mccgavin and Mike S
Boooooooooo Microsoft just booo you have more money then god

But are laying people off left and right just boooooo, this was another reason I was against the merger. It wasn't pro gamer it was for a powerful rich company to own more thats it
I get that when mergers happen one of the first things to do is to eliminate redundancies which is why Bobby boy got booted but this one seems confusing unless the people they got rid of was anyone that was added as part of their help with CoD. I think Phil said they wanted to stop annualizing CoD so they can up its quality so idk /shrug

I get that when mergers happen one of the first things to do is to eliminate redundancies which is why Bobby boy got booted but this one seems confusing unless the people they got rid of was anyone that was added as part of their help with CoD. I think Phil said they wanted to stop annualizing CoD so they can up its quality so idk /shrug
I mean actions matter to me more then words

Xbox also promised this merger would not lead to layoffs like this, I mean of course they lied but wise the government would get involved

If your going to merge and fire this many people then don’t approve it and if they do it after fine then into the ground but our current system is welfare for the rich (who can live 100 generations and still be good)

Xbox is apparently having their state of whatever this coming Thursday, so that's gonna be REALLY interesting.
No info but I think Thursdays are usually the day for Nintendo Directs as well and if this one is a third party partners Direct like Nate the Hate thinks it will be… I don’t think it would be a coincidence if both of these events happen on the same day. Big IF.