An 'Attraction' Every Year? | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

An 'Attraction' Every Year?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal Studios Hollywood needs a thrilling coaster if it wants to stay relevant as a popular theme park destination. It needs something for everyone, and thrill seekers want to see a coaster when they come to a park. So the Mummy coaster isn't going anywhere unless they figure out a way to put a coaster somewhere else, which I can't see them doing realistically right now.

Mummy ain't going anywhere. It can be rethemed, but the actual coaster is staying.

If they got rid of The Mummy, USH would be the only Universal park without a major coaster, and they're not about to let that happen.

What the Mummy ride needs is better and new effects, and a restored and updated ending from the original version.

Reactions: Aaron and William
The Transformers Supply Vault is placed the way it is so that riders exiting the Transformers building can't miss the entrance to the Supply Vault. If it were placed beside the show building, guests exiting probably wouldn't spot it.
Yes for the current lay out of that area but I was referring to this only if an expansion of the lowerlot would happen.

What I see happening

2014: Despicable me, SSFL

2015: Replacement to Mummy Tunnel, New additions to Studio Tour, Springfield Expansion

2016: Harry Potter Land, shutdown of Water World

2017: Shutdown of Shrek

2018: Replacment of Water World

2019: Replavement of Shrek

2020: Massive changes to House of Horrors

2021: New coaster/expansion of lower lot

2022 and beyond: Shutdown or Massive Changes of Mummy, Shutdown of Simpsons

What I see happening

2015: Replacement to Mummy Tunnel, New additions to Studio Tour, Springfield Expansion

I doubt waterworld will close in 2016 the park needs it.

Also, the park needs a big "show", and it doesn't get much bigger than Waterworld. USH needs Waterworld. It's a people eater, a highly rated spectacle, and will totally help ease congestion and crowding once Wizarding World is open.

I won't start even thinking about closing Waterworld at least until late 2017/2018.

With the exception of possibly Shrek, I am hearing that not much should change on the upper lot soon after Potter. The lower lot on the other hand is a different story.

What I see happening

I see HOH going away much sooner than 2020.  HOH is designed to be easily removed.  I don't think Waterworld will close at least for one year after Potter opens.  

This was posted by Hatetofly on the Orlando United forum.

2015 for Studios

Springfield

Revenge of the Mummy Upgrades

New Scene replacing current F&F scene on tram tour

That's my two cents

Well, Springfield and new Tour animation is expected, not quite news to me or probably many on here. But oh gosh Mummy upgrades would be fantastic! It really needs it! If they can also upgrade the JPN animatronics, I will be a happy fan!

The next 3 years sure will be exciting!

If all goes according to plan, Despicable Me and Springfield will be 2014.  I don't think we can wait another year for that road to the Starway and Studio Tour to be widened.

Just a thought here, but if those rumors are true about sound stages going where WoTW and the Square of Warriors, maybe they could use those as replacement sound stages. That way, they can re-purpose the sound stages by the lower lot for new rides. It's be a good place to bring back the E.T. Adventure in 2.0 form.

Hey, maybe they could even use Stage 28 for the expanded and relocated "Universal Experience" museum. :) That could also open up a new venue for HHN.
Just a thought here, but if those rumors are true about sound stages going where WoTW and the Square of Warriors, maybe they could use those as replacement sound stages. That way, they can re-purpose the sound stages by the lower lot for new rides. It's be a good place to bring back the E.T. Adventure in 2.0 form.

Hey, maybe they could even use Stage 28 for the expanded and relocated "Universal Experience" museum. :) That could also open up a new venue for HHN.

to be honest, for the past 5 years I have thought of this as well. Its logical to just fit the buildings into attractions

I mean, if it's near WW, I can see them adding a roller coaster that travels over CityWalk somehow. Or make it travel around the park like the Hollywood Dream coaster from Japan. With either scenario, they would need to find a way to install the infrastructure in a not too ugly way and to find a way to minimize noise pollution from rhe coaster.

Still hard to imagine, but I'd love it.

Another thing to think about though: "full coaster" could simply mean another major indoor coaster. Space Mountain is a full coaster despite being indoors! That could fit in the Water World plot. Although whatever it is, I hope it isn't halfassed and has a great theme!

They could possibly fit a coaster in the space between Water World and the Wizarding World.

2017coaster.png

Last edited by a moderator:
here'd be mine prescisively.

2014: Despicable Me, Super Silly fun land, Springfield

2015: Studio Tour Additions, Mummy Redo for the reboot

2016: Harry Potter & One of the hotels

2017: Shutdown of Shrek & possible Jurassic park Redo

2018: Shutdown of Waterworld, Coaster & Second Hotel

2019: New Attraction in Shrek

2020: New attraction in WaterWorld

2021: Simpsons Closure and Park theming improvements

2022 & Beyond: Simpsons replacement, Park expands more into Lowerlot and more rides and attractions builted in lowerlot.

I like the idea of where the coaster would go as posted above, This info makes me think Waterworld will close when Potter opens in 2016.  This indoor coaster would fit nicely into WW location and eliminate the backstage area behind Cartooniversal.  I would not be surprised if Shrek all the way to Waterworld would get remodeled.

Remember, any coaster, will be indoors!  Gringotts anyone???

My updated thoughts:

2014: Despicable Me, Springfield

2015: Studio Tour attraction, ET parking structure opens.

2016: Harry Potter opens, Waterworld closes

2017: New Indoor Coaster where Waterworld is located.  Shrek 4D closes

2018: Hotels open.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think JK Rolling does not want Gringotts to be physically close to Hogwarts. One possible work around would be to make the Gringotts building look like a train station from the outside. Then have a simulated ride on the Hogwarts Express be a preshow to the coaster. This could make Gringotts seem farther away than it actually is.

Only problem with that is there is a lot of backstage traffic for employees. To enter and exit the park and other various routes. 
I proposed that to a higher-up way back, and the answer I got was: Universal will find a way, even if it means inconveniencing employees. I guess if that means moving Take 5 Cafe and the Entertainment Wardrobe, then so be it.

As for timelines:

2014: Despicable Me and Springfield. The year will be marketing strictly towards families for a change in an effort to curb less APers to help with traffic.

2015: Studio Tour enhancements, which includes some new animations, new things here and there and a possible new video tour guide (RIP Jimmy Fallon?), along with (I don't believe this one) a rumored repainting of the trams. Shrek may or may not close at the end of the year. New parking garage opens, too.

2016: Potter. Just that's all.

I'm not sure about the rest, but I know it includes more focusing on outer enhancements, such as CityWalk and hotels, along with some new stuff in the lower lot.

Reactions: Allen The Actor