WDW Cuts and Upcharges | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

WDW Cuts and Upcharges

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
A couple of posters over at Magic said they just cut 11 Citizens of Hollywood at DHS. Sad if true. The Citizens of Hollywood were something that I really looked forward to when visiting DHS. The two days I was there in October it was hard to find any around. In the past they were all over the place with their excellent entertaining shows.Some of those Maintenance Dept. shows were the funniest things I've ever seen. There can't be many left if this is accurate.

It was brutal this week at Citizens. Long timers cut. Fresh faces rumored to be moving in with lower pay rates.

Yes, I know, "It's a business."
Disney CM morale must be shattered. I feel bad especially for the Citizens of Hollywood. They gave us many magical, and I won't use the word Disney, "Magical Citizen of Hollywood Memories". Yes, it's a business, but no excuse when there's record profits being made and your CEO and his minions make record money. . When it's that, its "DIRTY" business. But this is also dirt being thrown in the face of the customers. They're robbing us of those great experiences and figuring we're "dopey" enough to keep going back. Well, more reason for me to spend two vacations a year at Universal and not leave to visit the mouse(rat).

All businesses take hits in different ways. The Company I work for is being hit by low oil prices right now, and due to the recession, the other part of the business is not quite balancing the books yet. As a result people do have to be made redundant even though we don't have shareholders, which is really sad.

With Disney, at present, they have got to balance the parks expenditure across the world. With TWDC taking on the Paris debts, and a overspend in Shanghai, the operating costs have to be reduced elsewhere. It's basic business, that is compounded by the shareholders wanting dividends. It's not what people want to hear that experiences are being cut, but the analyst in me completely understands the potential reasoning.

I think we'll be a few years off seeing a big boom with the parks. Shanghai will not see a ROI for years due to the overspend. And Paris/HK need to start being profitable in a bigger way. Once they are, the margins of the US parks can be reduced to improve customer satisfaction. It's no surprise that there are add on elements for the fanatics at every night show. ROL seems to be having a Fantasmic style meal package being developed from what Disney Food Blog is saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: IzzyB
Yes...but the Disney fanatics are so much more annoying than any other fan base I know..

Some of them can be, I won't make a blanket statement. But wow, they promote those stupid kid leashes and other crazy stuff. So yes, some are VERY annoying. I just can't read some if these posts from them.

Reactions: Mad Dog
There are some Universal fans I find unbearable too....

Oh agreed. I think the rabid fan bases of these parks can get annoying. I have run into annoying people in all Orlando Parks. I have also run into some really nice people in all of the parks. People in general can be annoying :lol:

From my experience, almost all the tourists I've encountered at WDW & Universal have been really friendly nice people. We've had some very good interesting conversations. What surprised me during the past vacation was the large percentage of people visiting WDW that were splitting their vacation and visiting Universal also, and the nice things they were saying about Universal. We had not experienced that on previous vacations to WDW. I would guess the Orlando vacation experience is changing......But many of the Disney forum posters are a different ballgame.

From my experience, almost all the tourists I've encountered at WDW & Universal have been really friendly nice people. We've had some very good interesting conversations. What surprised me during the past vacation was the large percentage of people visiting WDW that were splitting their vacation and visiting Universal also, and the nice things they were saying about Universal. We had not experienced that on previous vacations to WDW. I would guess the Orlando vacation experience is changing......But many of the Disney forum posters are a different ballgame.

Agreed, I would say I find way more nice people than annoying people. I have known some to be going to all the parks, some only going to one, and some going to 2 of the 3. So I get a mix all around. But the majority of people you talk to in line and waiting for things tend to be very nice.

But I have at times run into rude, not nice, annoying people. Just like the majority of families with kids are not annoying and have a handle on all their kids. But then you also run into those families that you want to strangle because there kids always seem to be doing something they shouldn't be doing.

I didn't mean to make it sound like a 50/50 thing when it comes to annoying vs nice because it is more 95/5.

Again, I was not exposed to the Disney fanbase you guys sometimes talk about until recently. I honestly had no clue they were that bad.

I assumed we would see price increases following Uni's price increases. But mass layoffs is not good and a hard pill to swallow with record profits.

I've seen mumblings online they'll debut tiered days and lower priced days will have fewer attractions open. A huge salt lick with this. (I also posted this on the Parkscope account, so full disclosure to prevent an echo chamber here.)

I've seen mumblings online they'll debut tiered days and lower priced days will have fewer attractions open. A huge salt lick with this. (I also posted this on the Parkscope account, so full disclosure to prevent an echo chamber here.)

Wow, that would be insane to do something like that. I mean Annual Pass people pay the same exact amount, plus there are so many people who have bought tickets in advance of a trip 6 months from now. How would they handle those people who paid full price for "lower" tier days. I think this is gonna be a PR nightmare if the case.

Fewer attractions open on slow/moderate days. That's like a kamikaze move. That would be interesting to see what they shut down if that turns out to be accurate. Like WOW.

Are AP prices likely to increase in this round or are they safe for a bit after the recent increase?

Are AP prices likely to increase in this round or are they safe for a bit after the recent increase?

Other than the top tier the prices on annual passes didn't really increase. So they could increase them. Just in case I renewed my pass today that expires in March :)

Fewer attractions open on slow/moderate days. That's like a kamikaze move. That would be interesting to see what they shut down if that turns out to be accurate. Like WOW.
This would be absolutely insane. The reason I would go during a less crowded time is to do more things in that amount of time. That would just push wait times up and actually incentivize people to not go on those days. I seriously doubt they would make a price difference that is enough to negate this.Plus the "slow" times of year are getting smaller.

Reactions: Mad Dog
This would be absolutely insane. The reason I would go during a less crowded time is to do more things in that amount of time. That would just push wait times up and actually incentivize people to not go on those days. I seriously doubt they would make a price difference that is enough to negate this.Plus the "slow" times of year are getting smaller.

Your reasoning is one of the reasons I can't believe this yet. Disney priced their new annual passes to try and get AP holders to concentrate in the slow season. Why would they then do this because people want to ride all the rides, not just some. So now people won't go in those slow periods so they are able to ride all the rides as an AP holder. I just think it is all around counter productive to get people to come in the slow season. You can't offer less in the slow season, even if it is cheaper. I also feel like it is a desperate move that will make people really wonder about Disney.

But you know, Disney has made other bad choices and large companies have made major mistakes before (new coke) that cost them.

I mean I can understand a place like magic mountain doing it where profits are slimmer and the extremes in attendance are bigger, but at a place like Disney with some of the higest ticket prices + more additional options to monetize it doesn't make sense. The cost to operate attractions including employees salaries compared to tickets is minimal. The park itself has a certain fixed cost to open no matter what. It would be penny pinching at it's worst.