Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 152 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I do not believe the waves here will be large. I believe it has been said that the wave pool is using some sort of new 'multi-directional' wave system. Not exactly sure what that is but there is a patent somewhere on the Internets. It sounds to me that it will be more of a 'tranquil' wave pool than an 'action' wave pool.

I love Typhoon Lagoons waves but I hate the plaster they used on the pool floor. That stuff hurts your feet! Especially when your feet are tender walking around all day on hot cement. They need to redo the plaster and make it smooth! Maybe if they start now it will be reopen in 2020.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
waves should be at least this tall:

All those people makes me want to vomit.

Unfortunately I do not believe the waves here will be large. I believe it has been said that the wave pool is using some sort of new 'multi-directional' wave system. Not exactly sure what that is but there is a patent somewhere on the Internets. It sounds to me that it will be more of a 'tranquil' wave pool than an 'action' wave pool.

I love Typhoon Lagoons waves but I hate the plaster they used on the pool floor. That stuff hurts your feet! Especially when your feet are tender walking around all day on hot cement. They need to redo the plaster and make it smooth! Maybe if they start now it will be reopen in 2020.

I have a scar on my knee from the bottom of that wave pool.

It's speculated about the multi-directional system as it's still just a patent and we haven't received other information.

Reactions: Joel
I have a scar on my knee from the bottom of that wave pool.

That rough floor is really dangerous. My wife's first time in and she cut her knee up bad for the rest of the honeymoon. I've done it before. I hope VB isn't that forceful.

Cowabunga Bay in Vegas has some of those patterned tubes as well. They look very cool, wonder if the ones in the volcano still under wraps are protecting a similar thing - they could do a great lava effect.

They cannot finish off the backside of the volcano soon enough. Right now, it looks sooooo much like the early concept art right now where they had a cut-away to see inside from the Turkey Lk road angle.

Reactions: Joel
Regarding the wave pool and lazy river floors, it's either you create a smooth floor which puts people at risk of slipping and hitting their heads or rough, sandpaper-y floor that cuts down that risk a little bit (although you still get people who hit their heads.....). It will be interesting to see what kind of floors VB goes with for their wave pool and lazy rivers.

If you have a read through the full patent there is a large scope of wave types that can be used different areas of the pool at the same time, if the technology being used is the same as the patent then there is the possibility we could still get some good sized waves depending which ones are used. it is a pretty interesting read.

Patent if anyone wants a read: http://parkrumors.com/pdf/Multi-Directional Waves.pdf

It's speculated about the multi-directional system as it's still just a patent and we haven't received other information.

It's hasn't been speculation since the press release with the concept video, they have been quoted by the press on multiple websites from that day as saying: “Volcano Bay will offer 18 unique attractions ranging from the daring to the serene,” said Alice Norsworthy, executive vice president of Universal Orlando Resort. “Including a multi-directional wave pool with sandy beaches, peaceful winding rivers, twisting family raft rides, speeding body slides that drop from the top of that volcano into the waters below and so much more.”

As a side note going back to the patents, I wonder if they will use the articulated water slide technology they patented for the following: 'The park's features will include "a state-of-the-art marquee attraction found only at Volcano Bay," the company said, with more details to come.' It is certainly plausible as some people are seemingly thinking the water coaster not mentioned maybe the attraction however its not exactly unique in terms of technology unless they decided to add the articulated tech to it! Who knows, I'm just speculating/dreaming.

Patent for Articulated waterslide: http://parkrumors.com/pdf/Articulated Waterslide.pdf

Last edited:
Regarding the wave pool and lazy river floors, it's either you create a smooth floor which puts people at risk of slipping and hitting their heads or rough, sandpaper-y floor that cuts down that risk a little bit (although you still get people who hit their heads.....). It will be interesting to see what kind of floors VB goes with for their wave pool and lazy rivers.
How does one slip, fall, and hit their head while in water? o_O

Reactions: Dan B
How does one slip, fall, and hit their head while in water? o_O

Okay, maybe not often - but maybe say, they're in the shallow end of the wave pool and the wave knocks them over? I dunno, I was just giving some kind of example since head injuries are taken seriously over there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.