Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Summer 2024) | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

Tiana's Bayou Adventure (Opening Summer 2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Splash mountain is gone. Whatever splash had, it had. Are we really approaching this with a splash had 34 animatronics so this needs to have 34, splash had 7 songs so this needs to have 7 songs mentality? Why are we comparing this to it? Were people this critical when the frozen dark ride removed the troll antagonist? Can this ride be something of it's own identity? Does it have to follow some unwritten formula to live up to its predecessor?
While I 100% agree people should ride this before judging it and I think it is a good replacement and could care less splash isn't splash anymore. However, people 100% cared about Frozen taking over the trolls. I for one was also upset about that as I loved the Germany boat ride as it was and felt Frozen deserved a longer ride with higher capacity and predicted extremely long waits now that this was Frozen (which happened).

I have less issues with this since capacity (Splash already had long lines) and longer ride isn't really as much as a concern with this one since Splash is a very long ride.

I also think it's okay for a ride to be fun and based on vibes rather than a story with a conflict that needs resolution.
In theory, I also think it's okay.

But in this case, where the ride is taking over the bones of another attraction, designers do need to be mindful of what they're working with. The very infrastructure of Splash Mountain was designed around the buildup to the drop, the drop itself, and then the aftermath. It was structured in a very specific way so that the drop acted as a physical proxy for the "danger" represented by the antagonists of the ride's storyline. It's a seamless and organic fusion of story and physical execution.

I don't think anybody is saying that Tiana's Bayou Adventure will necessarily be a weak experience because it lacks a villain, but I do think there's a real possibility that the pacing and structure of the ride as a story will not work as well as the previous iteration in justifying why there's this big thrill element (the drop) included in what now seems to be a pretty passive, tranquil storyline.

In theory, I also think it's okay.

But in this case, where the ride is taking over the bones of another attraction, designers do need to be mindful of what they're working with. The very infrastructure of Splash Mountain was designed around the buildup to the drop, the drop itself, and then the aftermath. It was structured in a very specific way so that the drop acted as a physical proxy for the "danger" represented by the antagonists of the ride's storyline. It's a seamless and organic fusion of story and physical execution.

I don't think anybody is saying that Tiana's Bayou Adventure will necessarily be a weak experience because it lacks a villain, but I do think there's a real possibility that the pacing and structure of the ride as a story will not work as well as the previous iteration in justifying why there's this big thrill element (the drop) included in what now seems to be a pretty passive, tranquil storyline.
Well said. Splash’s pacing worked well, but I could see how it would be weird pacing to cram a different storyline into.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
All I am saying, is we do not know what the story actually is, just the premises. An antagonist does not necessarily mean it has to be a villain. Is the hadrosaurs considered the villain on the jurassic park ride? Is the cat in the hat considered the villian on the cat and the hat ride? It doesn't always have to be good man bad man, it could be conflict in a positive way and doesn't have to rely on a big bad causing it.

Reactions: grlhowl
Some walls down around the exit pathway at Tiana:

An antagonist does not necessarily mean it has to be a villain. Is the hadrosaurs considered the villain on the jurassic park ride? Is the cat in the hat considered the villian on the cat and the hat ride? It doesn't always have to be good man bad man, it could be conflict in a positive way and doesn't have to rely on a big bad causing it.
^^ I think what matters most is the feeling of action, moreso than a villain. Splash is a pretty long ride, so I think there's wiggle room to make the story's structure fit a less perilous climax. I think this ride can still be a thrill without making the drop so intimidating.

Reactions: saint.piss
From the initial description, maybe he was just saying that the actual story was boring. Pirates doesn't really have a true antagonist, either, though the pirates are attacking. We are just passive observers and there is no threat. Obviously, I don't know the full story of Tiana but it should be story that fits the ride's progression, complete with how the multiple drops are utilized. Going to collect spices or whatever the description is sounds about as much fun as a Martha Stewart ride. Splash was both entertaining, had a coherent storyline, and did have the villains who were not really that scary.

I don't know how they can recreate the entertainment value and standard of Splash. To me, it was the perfect Disney attraction. But they made the decision to shut it down. So that's a fact we have to accept. Saying that, I'll be happy if it ends up being 66% as good as Splash. That would be OK with me since I don't think the story or IP is strong enough to do much more than that, villain or no villain. It really wasn't all that great, or successful, as a movie, and no memorable music either. Bottom line, it will probably be a very pretty attraction, and that's what it will stand on.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and SkiBum
I’d love a chill relaxing dark ride with a drop at the end, I don’t suspect this to be deeply story themed as Splash wasn’t either. Give this a good score and it’ll be fun.

I like the brick work and other themeing.....please god let this lead to a Bayou area where Critter Country is now...because even some simple things like some Lamp posts and new walkways could make that land/subland into something even better

It's been relitigated a million times over at this point, but it is very strange to choose an IP and deliberately cut out the one element that gets unanimous praise and legacy; Dr. Facilier and his villain song. Especially since the preexisting bones of Splash Mountain, with the shadow trick effects and ominous build-up as you climb the final hill work legitimately perfect for the song and character in PaTF. But, c'est la vie...

Dig a Little Deeper could work fine, and I'm sure it could pump you up for a big thrill, but it's a big missed opportunity imo.

I'll also say that the finale to Test Track is functionally the same between 1.0 and 2.0, the high speed loop around the building, but I personally believe 1.0 is unfathomably superior simply because of the pacing and tension that the Imagineers set up with the Wall Test gag in the preshow. It's not just a big thrill moment from the high speed, but it's got an extra layer of scare and thrill simply because of the storytelling. With that gag and decor gone now, the High Speed test is almost a little dull. There's no tension, it might as well be an unthemed coaster track. I think Splash will end up better than Test Track 2.0 of course, it will be themed at least. But I do think the drop will probably feel different when it reopens, even if nothing has physically changed.

It's been relitigated a million times over at this point, but it is very strange to choose an IP and deliberately cut out the one element that gets unanimous praise and legacy; Dr. Facilier and his villain song. Especially since the preexisting bones of Splash Mountain, with the shadow trick effects and ominous build-up as you climb the final hill work legitimately perfect for the song and character in PaTF. But, c'est la vie...

Dig a Little Deeper could work fine, and I'm sure it could pump you up for a big thrill, but it's a big missed opportunity imo.

I'll also say that the finale to Test Track is functionally the same between 1.0 and 2.0, the high speed loop around the building, but I personally believe 1.0 is unfathomably superior simply because of the pacing and tension that the Imagineers set up with the Wall Test gag in the preshow. It's not just a big thrill moment from the high speed, but it's got an extra layer of scare and thrill simply because of the storytelling. With that gag and decor gone now, the High Speed test is almost a little dull. There's no tension, it might as well be an unthemed coaster track. I think Splash will end up better than Test Track 2.0 of course, it will be themed at least. But I do think the drop will probably feel different when it reopens, even if nothing has physically changed.
I didn't realize Dr. Facilier was so popular honestly. Maybe it is because I tend to see these in the eyes of my kids and my daughter loved other songs from that movie and loved the theme and princess part of it.

I would love to poll the GP over Splash and see how many knew of the storyline in the old ride and what it was. I personally never really got it myself. It was a fun ride with great scenes, but the SL for sure was not why I went on it or even fully got.