The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed) | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Don't think I've seen anyone share this yet, but Movie Park Germany opened their own TWD daytime maze this year. While it's mostly not as grand as USH's, it's interesting to see another take on it. I do like the amount of walkers they have and the length of it and while some of the sets look like they were crammed in (like the prison cell block scene), I think some of the details are actually quite good. You can see some shortcuts they took, like a couple screen prints of locations, seeing backstage areas through some openings, and a couple black hallways, but I think it's worth a look!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/R8qb7VodpK0?feature=oembed

Wow. I didn't even know this existed.

While I think our attraction is better in terms of quality, this walkthrough blows ours out of the water with how long it is and how it wonderfully pieces together highlights from each season. I love how theirs actually implements scenes from the show in chronological order, whereas ours is a bit scattered. This maze is obviously more compact, but I think it works in their favor since they were able to include so many iconic scenes from every season of the show. My favorite part would have to be Terminus considering the fact that it includes memorable rooms/areas that surprisingly weren't featured in the HHN 2015 maze (nor our current maze). 

The hype that was built up for our attraction and the way it was described by Murdy made me, and likely others, think it would be something similar to what's shown in that video. I'm still confused as to why our attraction focuses so heavily on the hospital and jumbled forest scenery when it could've featured things like Hershel's farm, the well walker, the Governor's office, and Terminus (all of which are seen above in Germany's walkthrough).

So we are planning a trip for next month. Hubby is, being a huge TWD fan, of course going to do the attraction. We have an 8 year old that, while she has done very mild haunted house type things before, will probably want to see it with her Daddy. I have no interest. Zero. I'm there for Harry Potter, lol. So, thoughts on letting an 8 year old go through the attraction? I read an earlier post about a cast member stopping the family from taking the stroller through and on the website it just cautions "Parental Discretion Advised". Obviously, I don't want to traumatize my 8 year old. 

So we are planning a trip for next month. Hubby is, being a huge TWD fan, of course going to do the attraction. We have an 8 year old that, while she has done very mild haunted house type things before, will probably want to see it with her Daddy. I have no interest. Zero. I'm there for Harry Potter, lol. So, thoughts on letting an 8 year old go through the attraction? I read an earlier post about a cast member stopping the family from taking the stroller through and on the website it just cautions "Parental Discretion Advised". Obviously, I don't want to traumatize my 8 year old. 

The first question I would wager is more of this; what type of Mild haunted house experience's has your child experienced?

Even as TWDA is more attempting to be immersive rather than intense, it should be best to ask about this first hand so it can be aware of what your child has seen.

Perhap's it's best that you see this video first of the walkthrough attraction so you can atleast get a grasp onto what it showcases (Video from IU).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jVDmwtci3ZU?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Seen the 2 videos, the one earlier was way brighter than the one above.

Looks like I will be missing this attraction as one of my kid even ran out of Disney's Haunted House.  :rolleyes:

You beat me to it, I was just about to post this!  I like the changes, personally.  Should be interesting to see if they continue adding more.  I feel like we're getting a preview on how the maze can be expanded for HHN.

And I don't know if it's intentional, but it's also a great way to keep the attraction fresh for repeat locals.

Reactions: chris.g and William
From what I heard, they're only testing it the week. If the response to the change has favorable (And it looks like it is), they will permanayely implement the changes late August. 

From what I heard, they're only testing it the week. If the response to the change has favorable (And it looks like it is), they will permanayely implement the changes late August. 

That would make sense. They had guest research located at the exit doing questionnaires.

It's apparently only a 10 minute wait right now. Seems like it would be a lot longer for a Saturday in the middle of August. For comparison, Forbidden Journey is 120 minutes.

I finally got to experience this attraction in person on Sunday. The wait time was very short at about 1PM, maybe 10 minutes, and there was no wait at 6PM. I wonder how long this attraction is going to last?

Like others have said, it feels very short! The best effect is the burning cabin. Very cool! The worst is the TV screens behind the windows, just after the loading dock. That one stands out like a sore thumb, IMO. The movements of the animatronics didn't looks nearly as bad to me as they looked in the videos. I'm thinking maybe there are just too many other distractions for me to focus on the animatronic movement so much.

Side note: I notice many of the decals on the ground in the queue are almost complete worn down to their backings, already.

My frustration is they close it off and on throughout the day.  I can see why for staffing reasons, but it'd be nice if they posted some sort of schedule.  I find especially frustrating when they close it during the final hour of the night.  Sometimes i plan to hit it on my way out of the park, but it's already closed.  :(

My frustration is they close it off and on throughout the day.  I can see why for staffing reasons, but it'd be nice if they posted some sort of schedule.  I find especially frustrating when they close it during the final hour of the night.  Sometimes i plan to hit it on my way out of the park, but it's already closed.  :(

Yeah, if they close it early, they should definitely announce that, like they do for the tram.

Given that the wait is usually so short, it makes sense that they want to save some money on staffing. But they really should keep it open at the end of the day, even if it's going to be closed periodically throughout the day. I'd go talk to guest relations if that's a recurring thing.

Yeah, was just there again last night (for National Roller Coaster Day... didn't have time to visit SFMM, haha).  Park closed at 9pm, but TWD was closed by 7 or 7:30pm and did not reopen.  That's a pretty big chunk of time to be closed.  Again, I can understand the closure for staffing reasons, but it should be marked on their schedule.

Warning: long post ahead!

While in the park last week, I decided to go through TWDA a few times to find some Easter eggs scattered throughout the walkthrough. This post will essentially be a compilation of what I could find, along with a few photos here and there. Before reading, please note that possible spoilers to the walkthrough as well as the show could follow, so read at your own risk.

Firstly, I spent a fair amount of time looking around the queue for the walkthrough. There are a ton of easter eggs to be found here.

Upon entering the indoor portion of the TWDA queue, you'll find a large plaque on the wall listing donors for the Harrison Memorial Hospital. Under the "Founders" list, you'll notice some familiar names, such as Larry Kurzweil (President and Chief Operating Officer of USH), Greg Nicotero (special effects makeup supervisor, director, and co-executive producer for TWD), Tim Runco (Senior Vice President of Entertainment at USH), John Murdy (Creative Director for USH/HHN), and Chris Williams (Art Director for USH/HHN):

29407726902_730427b657_c.jpg

The "Waiting Room" section of the indoor queue features several framed photos, all of which are stills from the television show. Two of the more recognizable photos include that of Amy and Andrea on a boat in Season 1, as well as Hershel's house in Season 2:

29407727222_005277686a_c.jpg
28894344963_05e567489e_c.jpg

As you progress through the indoor queue, you'll see several cork boards scattered along the walls. Hanging from these cork boards are numerous flyers, advertisements, and other paper props that refer to characters and locations from the show.

A reference to Father Gabriel Strokes (though it happens to be misspelled):

29407728162_bbbfc87d63_c.jpg

A reference to Dr. Steve Edwards and Grady Memorial Hospital from Season 5:

29407727652_bf378c9d48_c.jpg

A reference to the town of Woodbury featured in Season 3:

29226711660_e1d0e95af7_c.jpg

A reference to Father Gabriel and St. Sarah's Church from Season 5, as well as art director Chris Williams:

28894341343_6ea8f3dd0e_c.jpg

A reference to Del Arno Foods featured in Season 5:

29226711880_0964a5df8b_c.jpg

A reference to Sheriff Lambert Kendal from Season 1:

29226711300_998b148661_c.jpg

Now we'll move on to the attraction itself. The easter eggs within the walkthrough are much harder to spot given how dark it is, so you'll have to excuse the poor photos (or lack thereof).

First off, you can find the sheath to Michonne's katana on the ground beside the walker parts that spell "GO BACK" (the katana itself is stuck in a tree trunk nearby):

29407728732_78363cd99b_c.jpg

The prison scene is a goldmine for easter eggs. While I wasn't able to take photos of everything, such as Carl's hat, some Del Arno food cans, Hershel's crutches, Judith's carrier, and the white box reading "Lil' Ass Kicker," I'll post what I was able to nab pictures of.

The blurriness of this photo makes it hard to see, but this is Beth's "__ days without an accident" sign:

29226711060_3bd2d8dccd_c.jpg

Near the exit of the prison, you can find Rick's sheriff badge sitting on a pile of junk on a table:

29407727322_3febdf6a9f_c.jpg

As you exit the prison, you'll be facing a dumpster with a walkie talkie on it. To the right of the dumpster is a protective riot gear shield used by the survivors reading "WGC", which stands for "West Georgia Correctional". 

This next easter egg is a bit harder to find. As you leave the prison and enter the Del Arno Foods loading dock, look to your left behind the scare actor holding the gun. There will be a wooden crate behind him, on top of which is Daryl's crossbow (sorry for the blurry picture):

29407728952_79e5fc7fa6_c.jpg

...and that's everything I managed to find! If you were able to find any other easter eggs or references hidden within the attraction, make sure to post about it here!

Wow, awesome finds! Been looking everywhere for Rick's badge, nice to see someone find it.

Any luck on finding Lucille? Murdy confirmed she's in there but is probably the hardest prop to find. 

Reactions: William