The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed) | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

The Walking Dead Attraction (Closed)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's really good to know!  It's very nice to hear they are embracing single riders. The same policy exists at FotH. Just tell Gate A you're a single rider, and they let you right through. 

I though the point of single riders is to fill up every seat on a ride. There are no seats in a walk through attraction .

Wow this really was short. Impressive in scale but I would have done a couple more tight areas too to utilize space more. The scare spots also seemed too defined and noticeable too. 

Overall I was still impressed with the detail and if theres no wait I'll walk through it whenever I'm there. Gets people off the streets, one more thing to do. Ill take it, its not perfect though. 

My review of The Walking Dead Attraction:

It was actually pretty fun, it was immersive, but my oh my is it short. Everyone in the group i went in even said, "That's it?" but I felt for a daytime attraction, it was feasible. The animatronics are great and the burning cabin looks really cool, plus I even got one good scare in so that was nice. However scare actors did not seem at the top of their game today, they looked pretty bored and looked like they were thinking to themselves, "Eh, I'll get them next time." 

Also props to the queue for doing it's job. A lot of people were hitting the exit doors right before entering, but it really bothered me that there were some people who waited till after the bicycle girl scene to turn back, making some unnecessary clusters. 

I liked it for what it was though, it's not House of Horrors good, but decent. It's short, and the sets are impressive, but nothing to rush out to anytime soon. 

A solid 7/10. 

^ By far, the most disappointing aspect of the maze are the monitors tucked behind the windows in one of the final scenes. For whatever reason, that seemed especially cheap.

Other than that, it's fine for what it is.

^ By far, the most disappointing aspect of the maze are the monitors tucked behind the windows in one of the final scenes. For whatever reason, that seemed especially cheap.

I noticed that! Caught my attention by how incredibly thrown in it looked. Really sloppy and really cheap. 

I just checked USHwaittimes right now and noticed that under TWDA it says "Next Scare Hour: 9:00-10:00". It probably means that it's just temporarily closed, but I was still wondering if anyone knows why they're using that kind of wording? Sounds a little odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this argument brought up before in my review of The Walking Dead Attraction, so I thought I'd bring it here.

There seems to be a big camp that supports The Walking Dead Attraction because it offers variety - the notion being that Universal shouldn't be like Disney, and instead offer a diverse roster of attractions that cater to either kids or adults (or a combination thereof). With that in mind, I've always believed that in a park with a dozen attractions at best, you can't afford to alienate a huge portion of your guests with something as intense as Walking Dead.

Build that portfolio out first, then add something that could be potentially alienating to guests. I still stand on my original assertion that this type of attraction doesn't fit at Universal and their family friendly push. Wizarding World shows you can offer something to everyone - why not continue to push on that path?

Reactions: Aaron and Ryan
I agree that it marks a definitive lack of cohesion and team effort in regards to USH. They don't know what they want, how to handle it or even what guests want. Walking Dead is better for Orlando, which has a current hefty list of attractions for young and old alike. 

So are they catering to older locals or tourist families because I have no idea anymore.

What does any of that matter if the attraction is good. This is in such a small part of the park, if it wasn't here, this would be another store. My problem is that they didn't go far enough in the intensity department. They know kids won't want to do this and if they do, they'll realize fast they don't really want to. All other people know what they're in for, so just make it as scary as possible they'll go through it anyway.

This is in such a small part of the park, if it wasn't here, this would be another store.

That's not true, considering they built Universal Boulevard with the attraction in mind. It's not like they shoehorned this walk-through in an existing park structure.

The Walking Dead Attraction is the product of compromise: make it too scary, and it won't attract the daily theme park guest. Make it tame, and anger the Horror Nights crowd. Can't have both.

Reactions: Aaron and Ryan
I don't think they compromised, this is as tame as tame can be. I'm not sure how it won't attract the daily theme park guest either. They won't know how scary it is til they go through, the daily theme park guest doesn't browse these forums constantly or even know about it. House of Horrors didn't have this problem and it stayed for 7 years

It's doing it by name power and there's enough warnings outside and in the queue. Supposedly the scores are high so far so it's most likely is doing its thing right.

They won't know how scary it is til they go through, the daily theme park guest doesn't browse these forums constantly or even know about it. House of Horrors didn't have this problem and it stayed for 7 years

You already have guests bailing out as soon as they enter the indoor queue, so yes, the attraction is still too scary for some. Just because you don't find it frightening doesn't mean other guests don't - especially since this is a different crowd than Halloween Horror Nights.

I would think the name of the attraction would be a dead (pun intended) giveaway that this is a haunted house type attraction, even if one knows nothing about the show.  Just like House of Horrors, it's right there in the name.  Now, I would be surprised if, say, The Secret Lives of Pets turns out to be a super scary ride where the animals rebel against their human owners to take over the world and starting treating us as the pets, but The Walking Dead seems pretty obvious what to expect just from the name, no surprises there.

Reactions: peasoupprincess
I would think the name of the attraction would be a dead (pun intended) giveaway that this is a haunted house type attraction, even if one knows nothing about the show.  Just like House of Horrors, it's right there in the name.  Now, I would be surprised if, say, The Secret Lives of Pets turns out to be a super scary ride where the animals rebel against their human owners to take over the world and starting treating us as the pets, but The Walking Dead seems pretty obvious what to expect just from the name, no surprises there.

Nah. There are still lots of people who barely have half a brain that will look at and process the name of the attraction and still take their kids through it. I see that all the time at HHN. Just because something is painfully obvious doesn't mean parents will be smart enough to not take them in there or be selfish enough to force them in there. 

You may also have kids who will be traumatized who will go through despite how obvious what the attraction is because they wanted to catch a Pikachu in there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
^  So true, one year at HHN I saw a lady carrying around a newborn (looked less than a month old) baby.  I was like...."too much stimulation!"  I never take my child to anywhere that I'm not prepared to only ride what she wants to and I respect her too much to force her onto anything she doesn't want to go on.  I'll go by myself if I want to spend a day riding what I want.

On a side related note, at the American Werewolf maze a couple years ago, my girlfriend and I were enjoying watching this 6 or 7 year old boy in front of us, not scared at all, leading his parents through the maze, nothing was making him scared or jump at all, but the parents were freaking out at everything.  He just bravely walked through and wanted to do it again.  Lol.

Back on the topic of Walking Dead, other than adding more scare actors, does it look like there are places to add new scenery for HHN also?

Reactions: peasoupprincess