Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 150 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
And here I am just wishing that we had that dope Super Mario skinned train here instead of our boring Amtraks

Something where, if any projected media involved in the show was turned off, you'd still have 90% a great experience. A dark ride where the vast majority of what we're seeing is really in the same space with us.

Unfortunately for me, that seems to be going out of fashion in the industry (in terms of E-tickets, at least).
So basically like Symbolica at Efteling?

Reactions: Frogki and belloq87
Not every IP can support a heavily practical attraction. Heavily detailed (animatronics) practical effects have limitations to their movement speed and, most critically, longevity. Most “classic” dark rides feature stilted, unnatural movement in a chaotic environment so that, if it does break down, it’s hard to notice.

As much as everyone wanted animatronics on MK, the franchise is all about bright, whimsical chaos at blinding speed. Animatronics would have, very likely, slowed the experience down. Worst yet, a down animatronic could cripple the ride experience completely.

The fact of the matter is, as the speed of the *experience* increases, the less feasible practical effects and animatronics are. Frankly, any practical effects in the “race” portion of MK is an astounding achievement.

Not every IP can support a heavily practical attraction. Heavily detailed (animatronics) practical effects have limitations to their movement speed and, most critically, longevity. Most “classic” dark rides feature stilted, unnatural movement in a chaotic environment so that, if it does break down, it’s hard to notice.

As much as everyone wanted animatronics on MK, the franchise is all about bright, whimsical chaos at blinding speed. Animatronics would have, very likely, slowed the experience down. Worst yet, a down animatronic could cripple the ride experience completely.

The fact of the matter is, as the speed of the *experience* increases, the less feasible practical effects and animatronics are. Frankly, any practical effects in the “race” portion of MK is an astounding achievement.
I do hope one day someone figures out how to make reliable, fast, and athletic animatronics.

That's always been my question with MK as a whole

What if one of those rotating or fast moving set pieces breaks?

I suppose they could just close the ride for the day, but the illusion would be ruined

When it comes to this whole debate of physical vs digital sets, it needs to be separated into different categories thrill vs family. When it comes to thrill rides you aren't going to have large detailed sets with animatronics. These rides need speed and sudden movement or at least the illusion. When it comes to achieving this you either have to use screens or you end up in a large dark building. My point being if you wanted a all physical ride you would end up with a ride that doesn't feel very fast and frantic like Mario kart franchise does. A large animatronic would cause issues with the sense of speed, as to invest in such an animatronic would be costly so it would have to be the focus of that portion of the ride and in turn would break the illusion as you would notice that you are not approaching that character at a high rate of speed. To make thrill rides with lots of physical attributes is difficult and the only way can think of it being done well would be with a lot of nature theming areas (hagrid - forest, big thunder/everst - mountain, CARS - canyon).

Last edited:
Reactions: Frogki
That's always been my question with MK as a whole

What if one of those rotating or fast moving set pieces breaks?
It's a better scenario than if the AR breaks. You might still have something to look at. If the AR malfunctions, then you're stuck looking at nothing during this entire last section.

When it comes to this whole debate of physical vs digital sets, it needs to be separated into different categories thrill vs family. When it comes to thrill rides you aren't going to have large detailed sets with animatronics. These rides need speed and sudden movement or at least the illusion. When it comes to achieving this you either have to use screens or you end up in a large dark building. My point being if you wanted a all physical ride you would end up with a ride that doesn't feel very fast and frantic like Mario kart franchise does. A large animatronic would cause issues with the sense of speed, as to invest in such an animatronic would be costly so it would have to be the focus of that portion of the ride and in turn would break the illusion as you would notice that you are not approaching that character at a high rate of speed. To make thrill rides with lots of physical attributes is difficult and the only way can think of it being done we would be with a lot of nature theming areas (hagrid - forest, big thunder/everst - mountain, CARS - canyon).
If the story is good, and there is a narrative that can be followed, it doesn't matter what they use

The coolest thing I find about that, is the transition from AR elements to non-AR elements.

At the end, Rainbow Road turns from an AR down slope to a projection mapped floor, and Mario goes from an AR racer to on the final screen, and it's Seamless. I was only able to piece it together by watching at .25 speed on Youtube

The coolest thing I find about that, is the transition from AR elements to non-AR elements.

At the end, Rainbow Road turns from an AR down slope to a projection mapped floor, and Mario goes from an AR racer to on the final screen, and it's Seamless. I was only able to piece it together by watching at .25 speed on Youtube
I noticed that as well. I wonder if we'll see other examples of that. AR characters jumping in and out of background screens to give a big illusion of depth could be really trippy

I've watched this at least six times, and I still can't perceive any difference between AR, physical, and screen. So it will probably all blend well for the general public. I'd be interested to see a side by side video of the ride with and without AR.

The downside to getting a POV this way, since the camera is focusing on the foreground (the AR elements) the physical real life stuff, like the finish line arch, is completely dark in shadow. In real life things like that are likely blending into everything much better, but to us, they're being ignored by the camera. Doesn't bode well for how a POV for the rest of the ride will look, as the camera will be hyperfocused on either the AR or screens over reality.

The downside to getting a POV this way, since the camera is focusing on the foreground (the AR elements) the physical real life stuff, like the finish line arch, is completely dark in shadow. In real life things like that are likely blending into everything much better, but to us, they're being ignored by the camera. Doesn't bode well for how a POV for the rest of the ride will look, as the camera will be hyperfocused on either the AR or screens over reality.
Kind of reminds me of early 2010 POVs of Forbidden Journey, where you could barely make out the screens but couldn't see anything else.

Reactions: Alicia
It's only a small portion of the ride so idk if we should really be forming any opinions about the experience yet..

I'm going to choose my words wisely as I know people really enjoyed that POV (and I'm probably a part of the minority who thought it was quintessential Universal screen buffoonery....)

The AR is insane. I honestly can't believe that they made it work and its so seamless... From watching the leak, it's pretty much confirmed to be a Toy Story Mania on crack. It was so nice seeing Wendy (she's my favorite koopaling).

Mario transitioning from AR to on screen was mind blowing I still cannot get over it.

The giant arrows interrupting the game play are a bit jarring though.. does anybody know why they're there?