Secret Life of Pets Orlando Speculation | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Secret Life of Pets Orlando Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The last big animated movie Universal turned into a ride was Despicable Me. The Orlando ride opened two years after the first movie and one year before the second movie. It did have the advantage of being an overlay of an existing ride.

SLOP might take longer to build, but everything else looks similar to Despicable Me. Well, minus the minions. Having it ready in 2018 to make a lot of sense.

With Fast and Furious delayed one year Universal now has a major ride opening in 2018. Nintendo will open in 2020. This still leaves Universal Orlando without a major attraction opening in 2019 that we know of.

Secret life of pets might be held back to be the 2019 attraction. It could then be part of a modestly larger overlay of Toon Lagoon retail/food area, though the additional area might not be SLOP themed. There could still be a project that pops up, possibly going in to replace Shrek or T2 that would end up being the 2019 project and allowing SLOP to open in 2018 after all.
I mean, ideally we'd see a new ride in IOA and USF in 2018 with construction starting in IOA for Avengers in 2019..The 2020 brings us Nintendo...Of course they also need to announce that third gate and begin construction on that

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
Rumored land surveying has been taking place this week for TL. Anyone else have any details if this is true?

I would say "Maybe @BriMan, @hatetofly or @testtrack321 could say whether that's the case or not"; but I would imagine if that's true; they could be..quiet about it.

But who am I to talk, if it is true; it shows that they have interests to change something relating to Toon Lagoon within the next few years, which actually may be a great call in a way, depending on what they do to the area in particular..

Reactions: Mike S
I would say "Maybe @BriMan, @hatetofly or @testtrack321 could say whether that's the case or not"; but I would imagine if that's true; they could be..quiet about it.

But who am I to talk, if it is true; it shows that they have interests to change something relating to Toon Lagoon within the next few years, which actually may be a great call in a way, depending on what they do to the area in particular..

Dunno.

Reactions: Joel
I saw them doing it. By the theater, and looked like they did behind comic also. Couldn't take a picture cause it was backstage. But looked like they were doing maybe some kind of 3-d scanning. It was on Monday I think.
So you're saying this was the theater and the comic strip cafe area?

I saw them doing it. By the theater, and looked like they did behind comic also. Couldn't take a picture cause it was backstage. But looked like they were doing maybe some kind of 3-d scanning. It was on Monday I think.

Did the equipment look like any of this stuff?
db_file_img_1593_799xauto.jpg

If so - it's not 3d imaging, its survey equipment.. plotting the exact positions using a combination of GPS, lasers and known land marks. This usually is a great sign, this means construction could be starting soon I think..

Does anyone know if they do surveys pre-design? From my one civil engineering internship before I decided that career wasn't for me, they taught me how to use these when we were mapping out construction sites.. i.e. where drainage pipes should be laid, roadways, buildings, etc.

Reactions: JoeCamel and Mike S
Did not see any traditional survey indicators. While walking around Toon Lagoon I did see plenty of signs that land is not as well maintained as the others. Wonder if it is due to indifferent license partners or figuring parts of it won't be around much longer?

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
And as of now only one of those films has a ride in development along with a sequel so....and also Kubo, Only Yesterday, and April and the Extraordinary World were better than both (all with distribution deals with Universal) so that's how the cookie crumbs.
Never heard of 'em :shrug:

Reactions: Nico
And as of now only one of those films has a ride in development along with a sequel so....and also Kubo, Only Yesterday, and April and the Extraordinary World were better than both (all with distribution deals with Universal) so that's how the cookie crumbs.

Never heard of 'em :shrug:

Making sure, by Extrodinary World is actually titled "April and the Extraordinary World"; correct? Because that's distributed by Studio Canal and Only Yesterday as far as I remember is from surprisingly Studio Ghibli (Both had help with GDKids..).

Only Yesterday..

& April and the Extraordinary World..

So Zootopia doesn't even have a ride in development, no sequel officially (as it's rumored..); and SLoP has an attraction and a Sequel possibly for 2018 (Atleast for USH as far as attraction goes). I really hope Kubo turns out to be a success so they can get Lakia into an Theme Park attraction, but I guess we'll see..

Making sure, by Extrodinary World is actually titled "April and the Extraordinary World"; correct? Because that's distributed by Studio Canal and Only Yesterday as far as I remember is from surprisingly Studio Ghibli (Both had help with GDKids..).

Only Yesterday..

& April and the Extraordinary World..

So Zootopia doesn't even have a ride in development, no sequel officially (as it's rumored..); and SLoP has an attraction and a Sequel possibly for 2018 (Atleast for USH as far as attraction goes). I really hope Kubo turns out to be a success so they can get Lakia into an Theme Park attraction, but I guess we'll see..

April and the Extraordinary World was produced by Studio Canal, given to Gkids and Gkids passed the rest including if they wanted to merchandising rights to Universal. Same thing with Only Yesterday except not merchandising and no digital.

But the thing I was getting at is there are so many great animated films out there that aren't Disney/Universal that its kinda annoying that people just focus on those two are the big deals. Heck technically Laika isn't Universal. They just share some properties.

As for SLOP, SLOP did what it needed to do and is selling way more merchandise than Zootopia which is kinda the purpose of kids movies. To be able to make money off it for years like Cars even if its not very good.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
April and the Extraordinary World was produced by Studio Canal, given to Gkids and Gkids passed the rest including if they wanted to merchandising rights to Universal. Same thing with Only Yesterday except not merchandising and no digital.

But the thing I was getting at is there are so many great animated films out there that aren't Disney/Universal that its kinda annoying that people just focus on those two are the big deals. Heck technically Laika isn't Universal just is co-owned.

As for SLOP, SLOP did what it needed to do and is selling way more merchandise than Zootopia which is kinda the purpose of kids movies. To be able to make money off it for years like Cars even if its not very good.

To also note on Only Yesterday..that was a film that surprisingly was released in 1991; but as far as I hear, it never got an official US Dub (It got a release in the UK and Australia well before US did; surprisingly..) until GDKids picked up the rights and released it on New Years Day of this year with the US cast. And I wholeheartedly agree.

There are many fields of Animation, from shows to big movies that aren't even from NBCUniversal, Disney, and Fox to where it's surprising that they haven't used those that have been well received and that leads to excellent potential in the theme parks in various forms. It could be that it's a financial risk, as some of the films could be stuff that the public doesn't care for; but I think anythings possible in this day and age..

Reactions: quinnmac000
What I don't get is how does there being no Zootopia ride in development mean it wasn't a successful movie? Zootopia has still grossed well more worldwide - Zootopia $1.023 Billion, SLoP $599.6M. The only movie that has grossed more money than Zootopia this year Worldwide is Captain America: Civil War.

They're both very successful animated movies, but we can't just start a narrative that just because there's no ride = not successful.