New Ride Ideas | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

New Ride Ideas

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't really see any new rides after Harry Potter opens though. Anything part of a movie franchise.
There are many attractions planned beyond Potter as part of the expansion plan.

How about a Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
How would that even translate into a ride?! Like...honestly....try to think a little of how realistic your ideas are...lol

This is my idea of how a movie should be chosen for development into a ride. Rides need to be something that everyone can relate to. Like Jurassic Park which has a huge following and tells a story with adventure, danger and excitement. When a movie is developed into a ride it needs to have met a certain criteria: Done well at the box office, translates across generations, and it needs to have a purpose. It would be really hard to sell a movie into a ride that was rated "R". It really needs to have some serious name recognition for it to wise for them to turn it into a ride. You won't see Universal doing a ride based on Death Race for a couple of reasons. One being they already have a franchise based on car racing in Fast and Furious. Which has had huge box office success and some serious name recognition. Death Race was a hard core "R" rated film. With the direction that USH is heading in to a more family centered atmosphere. They are trying to leave the more progressive side behind them.  Once again this was just my idea.

This is my idea of how a movie should be chosen for development into a ride. Rides need to be something that everyone can relate to. Like Jurassic Park which has a huge following and tells a story with adventure, danger and excitement. When a movie is developed into a ride it needs to have met a certain criteria: Done well at the box office, translates across generations, and it needs to have a purpose. It would be really hard to sell a movie into a ride that was rated "R". It really needs to have some serious name recognition for it to wise for them to turn it into a ride. You won't see Universal doing a ride based on Death Race for a couple of reasons. One being they already have a franchise based on car racing in Fast and Furious. Which has had huge box office success and some serious name recognition. Death Race was a hard core "R" rated film. With the direction that USH is heading in to a more family centered atmosphere. They are trying to leave the more progressive side behind them.  Once again this was just my idea.
How about Orlando

How about Orlando
Orlando's parks are just as family centric now....same company....

jmills, great post. There's ups and downs to how they decide what attractions get made. Before with Disney, they had an amazing stint of creating massive rides based on ORIGINAL WDI ideas, and some rides based on existing properties. That mix was amazing, as WDI had and has some of the most creative minds. Now, with the Disney Corporation, all rides (except for a few international ones and a few original ones like Soarin' and Expedition Everest), all new rides or shows are based on profitable entities that can sell merchandise and are guaranteed to be popular. Thats what they invest in. They don't think it's worth it to test the waters on original ideas any more and they aren't giving the public a chance. They assume that everyone only wants to "ride the movies". I personally want to go on an amazing adventure like Pirates or Haunted Mansion where it was a totally new idea! Hell, look at the new Hong Kong Mystic Manor. Pretty amazing! WDI still has it I'm them. The executives don't want to take the risk though, even though it's been proven that what is more successful is a fun immersive attraction that's ORIGINAL over a ride based on a franchise. Sometimes its a combo of the two, like Cars Land. I wish that Disney would bring that combo concept of having some original ideas back to its stateside parks.

As for Universal, it's interesting. I WANT to see attractions based on familiar popular movies and shows. Universal is great at that. I just wish that Disney didn't always do that. It's an easy cop out for Disney.

Although I WOULD be interested if Universal Creative could make an original attraction story.

One thing that I LOVE about Universal Creative though and Universal Parks is that even though 99% of everything is an existing property, almost EVERYTHING is a brand new adventure starring those characters, and most times is different from the original movie. At Disney, it's mostly book report rides. Some rare examples of unique adventure based on an existing property are Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, and Radiator Springs Racers.

But with Universal, every ride is a NEW adventure starring the familiar characters. BTTF, Simpsons, Jurassic Park, Forbidden Journey, Spiderman, Transformers, King Kong, Jaws, Mummy, ET, and Despicable Me. All unique attractions! Even if you saw the movie, its a new adventure!

Can Battleship be made into a simulator ride? If there was,I want to see a scene where the shredders are chasing us

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest hope for Universal Creative, is that they become Creative and try and stay away from the simulators and do more dark rides with practical sets and animatronics.

Reactions: Krusty
My biggest hope for Universal Creative, is that they become Creative and try and stay away from the simulators and do more dark rides with practical sets and animatronics.
I've noticed this trend as well. It's especially apparent when you have a low attraction count like Hollywood. That's what made my recent Disneyland visit so different - plenty of real-life effects for you to chew on.

Let's hope for something big in the future. I always joke that you could have the tram racing the Fast and Furious cars at an astounding ten miles per hour. Think Radiator Springs Racer...but slower. Much slower. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ one of my friends actually wanted that as an actual idea. Completely impractical and close to impossible, but wouldve been cool hypothetically. I have a feeling we'll be seeing your idea, but "faster" and in 3D very soon....

Fast & Furious: TurboTram 360-3D

I think they should make Fast and the Furious ride (actual ride, not tram segment) that uses a Radiator Springs Racers type ride system.