New Parking Garage | Inside Universal Forums

New Parking Garage

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Andy

aka Hatetofly
Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2010
Universal is preparing for the huge attendance numbers in 2014 and is preparing to build a new parking garage for employees. Construction is to begin within 7-10 days and will last 6-7 months. The garage is said to be 3 levels and similar in scale to the employee one at BGT behind Sheikra.

Interesting.

This is due to capacity but there is something very interesting that's unrelated yet very important about this garage. I'm hoping I can spill the beans in the future.

Is this going to be just taking up part of the current lot back there with the majority remaining? I guess it would depend on size, but would 3 levels be enough to compensate for all the parking currently back there?

Is this going to be just taking up part of the current lot back there with the majority remaining? I guess it would depend on size, but would 3 levels be enough to compensate for all the parking currently back there?

I'm not 100% on the size but the estimated window is a staggering 6 months from lot closure to garage opening. Universal is going to throw down some serious construction time frames again :lol:

I'm not 100% on the size but the estimated window is a staggering 6 months from lot closure to garage opening. Universal is going to throw down some serious construction time frames again :lol:
Not sure if you would know this, but, if the lot is going to "close", would it be the entire lot? Because if so, where are all of those TM's going to park during that span? Are they going to public garages during the packed summer months, because I don't see that working out too well. :lol:

Shrek and DM employees are moving to CityWalk for an unspecified amount of time, but the info about the garage was unknown before I mentioned it, then that move made more sense to the person who told me. TMs are already parking in Dr. Phillips HS for overflow. I'm surprised they didn't do this before they got Cabana Bay underway.

I'd imagine that the gradation/elevation differences in the current lot would require them to close and rip out whatever portion they start with. I would expect them to start with the sections closest to Turkey Lake Rd. and Vineland, and that's a pretty good grade and elevation difference to be working with. When it comes to the sections closer to the TM security gate and HR, there's a serious dip for drainage and a section that tends to flood when weather is less than ideal, so not likely to be able to build over and then do a bottom level. Foundation and support work would likely require serious regrading and soil work for those kinds of loads in those areas with the current conditions of the lot.