NBA City Closed | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

NBA City Closed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be a nice fit for that area...would help with the transition to and from IOA as well..heck the color pallet of many of the CFs around are already close to the Pharo's Lighthouse/POE colors...I think it would fit a lot better and would be attractive to everyone

I've said this numerous times, multiple people agree with me, I say that an Ale House just open on property. That would blow BWW out of the water.

I've said this numerous times, multiple people agree with me, I say that an Ale House just open on property. That would blow BWW out of the water.

You on cell phone or talk like robot time :lol: jk no offense.

I can't agree with you, but it would sound nice if it were named Universal Ale House (instead of Orlando Ale House).

It would be a nice fit for that area...would help with the transition to and from IOA as well..heck the color pallet of many of the CFs around are already close to the Pharo's Lighthouse/POE colors...I think it would fit a lot better and would be attractive to everyone

Yeah the colors definitely fit POE. If it actually happens, I probably won't eat at Mythos again, if the service and food is good.

I think when you have a large number of dining venues like you do at CityWalk, you're better off with unique dining experiences or tailored menus. The tailored menus are why Vivo is working and Cowfish is such a hit. NBC Sports Grille will work because it will be the only sports bar in CityWalk. I think adding a generic restaurant with a one-size-fits-all menu is the exact opposite of what should be happening at CityWalk.

The other thing to consider is that CityWalk isn't used just to keep people on property. It's used to bring locals in to eat, drink and party. CF will not draw the locals because they can just go to another one in Orlando and not have to worry about traffic or paying for parking.

Reactions: UNIrd
I think when you have a large number of dining venues like you do at CityWalk, you're better off with unique dining experiences or tailored menus. The tailored menus are why Vivo is working and Cowfish is such a hit. NBC Sports Grille will work because it will be the only sports bar in CityWalk. I think adding a generic restaurant with a one-size-fits-all menu is the exact opposite of what should be happening at CityWalk.

The other thing to consider is that CityWalk isn't used just to keep people on property. It's used to bring locals in to eat, drink and party. CF will not draw the locals because they can just go to another one in Orlando and not have to worry about traffic or paying for parking.

Exactly x100.

B-Dubs comes from the initials (BWW)...when you say it out (Bee Double-You) you shorten it to just B Dubs. I've also heard people call it BW3 but that really makes no sense lol.

It will always be BW3's to me and a lot of people around here who would go to it when it was Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. Weck was a burger they had if I recall correctly. The company actually referred to themselves as BW3 to simplify, before removing the Weck completely. They refer to themselves as B-Dubs now to simplify even further.

I don't think it fits in CitiWalk though.

Reactions: Andy
Universal's Citywalk meal and more deal now includes the restaurant name NBC CITY. Is this what is replacing NBA City?

It will always be BW3's to me and a lot of people around here who would go to it when it was Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. Weck was a burger they had if I recall correctly. The company actually referred to themselves as BW3 to simplify, before removing the Weck completely. They refer to themselves as B-Dubs now to simplify even further.

I don't think it fits in CitiWalk though.

It will always be BW3 to me, that's what it was called by all 20 years ago when I started going to them.

Closing Aug 31 per
Sandra Pedicini
@SandraPedicini

NBA Experience will open at Downtown Disney - Orlando Sentinel

"Downtown Disney will open a new NBA-themed attraction that will include high-tech experiences, a restaurant and a store.

The NBA Experience at Walt Disney World Resort will feature hands-on activities, "immersive NBA video productions and numerous interactive experiences," according to an announcement made Wednesday. Disney did not provide further details.

Universal's entertainment area also has an NBA City restaurant, which will close Aug. 31, according to a source who was not authorized to speak on the matter and requested anonymity.

The Universal restaurant had been profitable, the source said.

The new attraction at Disney will be about triple the size of NBA City.

Universal had no comment.

Disney's announcement comes two days after Universal Orlando unveiled plans for NBC Sports Grill, which will open this fall with 90 big screens at its CityWalk dining and entertainment complex.

"It's kind of the product du jour right now, adding sports," said Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services.

Both theme park resorts have made enhancing their entertainment districts a big priority. Downtown Disney — being renamed Disney Springs — is undergoing massive expansion. Universal Orlando has opened or revamped about a dozen venues at its CityWalk entertainment area.

In a news release, Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Bob Iger pointed out his company has had a long partnership with the basketball association through Disney's ESPN channel.

"We're thrilled to work with the NBA to take our guests inside the world of professional basketball with an extraordinary entertainment experience," Iger said.

spedicini@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5240"

Last edited:
I would be absolutely shocked if Cheesecake Factory comes into the NBA City spot. Doesn't seem like Universal for two reasons:

1: NBA City has a large (largest?) exterior in CityWalk. I would imagine that Universal wants to build something that is visually exciting to act as a focal point. Cheesecake Factory...not so much.

2: Cheesecake is a chain. Universal has shown that they either will build a concept in-house or find a unique chain with very few (<5) locations i.e. Cowfish. Cheesecake seems far too pedestrian looking at their past choices.

Reactions: kimlovesfl
Sounds good. I love the NBA, but NBA City was a poor representation of the brand and seemed like something cheesy that would be in Times Square, plus the food was "ok". Hoping Disney does something more impressive, and Universal brings in something awesome to use up all that space!

2: Cheesecake is a chain. Universal has shown that they either will build a concept in-house or find a unique chain with very few (<5) locations i.e. Cowfish. Cheesecake seems far too pedestrian looking at their past choices.

There are 145 Hard Rock Cafes, 43 Bubba Gumps, and around 28 Margartiavilles (not counting Landshark Grills or Cheeseburger in Paradises). Didn't bother looking up the number of BKs, Panda Expresses, Moes, Menchies, Cold Stones, and Starbucks.

Contrast with 165 Cheesecake Factories.

It doesn't seem like that big a stretch for me, especially given persistent rumors CF was interested in Pleasure Island back in the day and CityWalk more recently. Blue Martini just pulled out of Millenia, CF might be looking to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.