Mel’s Drive-In Refurb | Inside Universal Forums

Mel’s Drive-In Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I searched and couldn't find a post. Does anyone know what all is involved with the Mel's refurb? Seems pretty extensive for how long it has been down. How different will it be when it reopens?
It wasn't in the best condition with seats in disrepair, etc. I hope we're finally getting backend improvements to the ordering (& mobile order) system to improve efficiency at QSRs.

My exterminator told me their team was working a big project at a restaurant in Universal…he couldn’t remember the name but this was back in May. Maybe baseless speculation from an untrusted source but I’m going with termite issue piling onto the standard refresh timeline.

I wonder what happens to Cafe La Bamba after this reopens as it was mainly reopened to replace capacity? Tribute Store Bar? Cafe La Bamba doesn't really have much demand even on the busiest days.

Also, UPNT was able to take a few photos of the menu, looks the same as before with hot dogs now on the menu. Nothing to write about, but every US park needs one "safe" option.

I wonder what happens to Cafe La Bamba after this reopens as it was mainly reopened to replace capacity? Tribute Store Bar? Cafe La Bamba doesn't really have much demand even on the busiest days.

Also, UPNT was able to take a few photos of the menu, looks the same as before with hot dogs now on the menu. Nothing to write about, but every US park needs one "safe" option.
Sure. Glad they kept the previous menu, plus the dog additions. Mel's, and the era it represents, were about burgers, fries, root beer floats, so it's important they kept it. Otherwise, Mel's wouldn't be Mel's.

I'm interested to see that as well. I wanted to try La Bamba during our last trip but we didn't have the chance. I always assumed La Bamba was opened to replace the capacity of Monsters Cafe though, lol

La Bamba has been used for years as the restaurant for the VIP tours

Reactions: Brian G.
Sure. Glad they kept the previous menu, plus the dog additions. Mel's, and the era it represents, were about burgers, fries, root beer floats, so it's important they kept it. Otherwise, Mel's wouldn't be Mel's.
Eh, given how much Uni's fast food offerings have been improving, I was hoping for one or two more interesting options.

I've always thought Mels was fine for quick serve. It's exactly what it's supposed to be-- burgers, chicken fingers, fries, shakes. pie. Hot dogs are a great addition though.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Nico
I think the order on the phone system is complicated and unnecessary

There’s been times that I’ve been told at the door at La Bamba that the food would take an hour. Flooding the kitchen with the phone orders?

Only pro I’ve seen with the phone ordering is that the line to order at the register is really short ;)

I think the order on the phone system is complicated and unnecessary

There’s been times that I’ve been told at the door at La Bamba that the food would take an hour. Flooding the kitchen with the phone orders?

Only pro I’ve seen with the phone ordering is that the line to order at the register is really short ;)
Yes, it just adds unnecessary layers to what should be an uncomplicated process. After all, fast food has traditionally been fast at fast food restaurants just about everywhere. It's, bottom line, a very simple process. Why complicate it?