Mel’s Drive-In Refurb | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Mel’s Drive-In Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oh man, how I wish this was open a few days back when a friend and I were looking for something to eat at USF!

I'll admit that I'm not a foodie when it comes to theme parks. When I'm walking around in the Florida sun for an entire day, I wanna know what I'm getting into and leave the restaurant feeling full, so simple diner offerings like burgers and tenders are great. I'm not a fan of the offerings at Richters or Krusty, so this is great to see return. We ended up taking the Hogwarts Train over to Thunder Falls instead which is also consistently wonderful, but Mels is gonna return to being my go-to whenever I'm not wanting the Minions Meatball plate at USF.

Looks like a twister is headed to Universal... probably the cow delivery service for fresh beef burgers!

I really do love that Universal seems to be leaning into nostalgia more than ever. The rumors of the Mega Movie Parade, the Flux Capacitors on the back of the Starfall Racer vehicles, the Holiday tribute store last year that had a million small nods to older attractions, up and including an actual (potentially unlicensed) Ghostbusters logo. It really feels like Universal is working hard to build a brand based around it's own classic and retired IP, which really gives USF it's own charm and importance. It was the first park at the resort, and as such it's a celebration of everything USO has ever offered. That's a fun hook.

Question of you genuine curiosity. Wife wanted a milkshake Saturday, got two at Richters for the first time in two decades. It wasn't a milkshake, it was straight up soft-serve ice cream. Are these actual milkshakes?

Article time! Universal Orlando has reopened Mel’s Drive-In at Universal Studios Florida with a completely new look and a new menu.

I really do love that Universal seems to be leaning into nostalgia more than ever. The rumors of the Mega Movie Parade, the Flux Capacitors on the back of the Starfall Racer vehicles, the Holiday tribute store last year that had a million small nods to older attractions, up and including an actual (potentially unlicensed) Ghostbusters logo. It really feels like Universal is working hard to build a brand based around it's own classic and retired IP, which really gives USF it's own charm and importance. It was the first park at the resort, and as such it's a celebration of everything USO has ever offered. That's a fun hook.
I hope it keeps building and building into either a classic property making a significant return in a new form (maybe Ghostbusters?) or a crossover attraction that covers a lot of retires IP (Great Movie Ride-ish.)

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here and these ideas are beat to death on the forums, but I really think this is the point we're kind of building towards, especially if the new parade, nighttime show, and Dark Universe are popular.

I hope it keeps building and building into either a classic property making a significant return in a new form (maybe Ghostbusters?) or a crossover attraction that covers a lot of retires IP (Great Movie Ride-ish.)

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here and these ideas are beat to death on the forums, but I really think this is the point we're kind of building towards, especially if the new parade, nighttime show, and Dark Universe are popular.
It happens to line up exactly with what the hardcore fans are clamoring for, so I think people (myself included at some points) write off the idea as wishful thinking. But honestly The Great Movie Ride E-Ticket idea just kind of feels like a natural progression of what is already happening at USF currently.

Walking down Hollywood Blvd and seeing Beetlejuice, the Simpsons, the Mystery Gang, Puss in Boots, and Marilyn Monroe all in the same sightline. Horror Nights Entrance zones with the Shining Twins, Amanda from Saw, Purgers all scaring together. Tribute Stores where Whoville, Hogwarts, and Springfield are all sending letters to Santa.

As opposed to IoA or Epic, where every property is self-contained and the happenings in Jurassic Park don't matter to Seuss Landing, USF is a connected Studio set where all of these wildly different properties can intertwine. They've got attractions representing Adventure, Sci-Fi, Family, Animation, Horror, Comedy, Fantasy, from TV to Film to Music. Bringing all of that together in a singular attraction would cement a really wonderful thesis for the OG park. Plus a scene of Jaws or Kong attacking the ride vehicle would make the oldheads pretty happy too haha! And I'll just say that the Supercharged showbuilding is smack dab in the center of the park and rather large.:eyes:

Whoops, Mels!! Excited to check that out! :lmao: As much as I like the soft-serve at Captain America Diner, it's good that it's an actual milkshake here if only for the sake of honesty haha.

Article time! Universal Orlando has reopened Mel’s Drive-In at Universal Studios Florida with a completely new look and a new menu.

Are the pies new? They sound pretty good to me.