Hurricane Irma | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

Hurricane Irma

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Sadly, Volcano Bay looks more finished during hurricane prep than it ever has before...

OMG OMG OMG!

Those things aren't waterproof!

They were well into prep work on Friday when we were there. Only one stand had life jackets. They had a couple small beach areas cleared already of seats and umbrellas (like near Punga racers)

We were the only cabana in the park on Friday. They had closed up all the others and taken all pillows and pads from all the others and dropped the curtains, etc.

It's been pretty cool to see the parks work during this. They're really on it- I've only seen the universal parks- I'm sure Disney is just as impressive. It's amazing how they remove little things and it doesn't impact the experience really. In particular with the small wait times.

If you have kids- Disney is certainly the place to be. It's been great thus far.
Staff is EVERYWHERE. Practically begging to help and do stuff for you. Service is impeccable. We keep being over-appreciative to them and they almost always respond that they'd prefer to be here anyways.
Access to high end managers as well- met the general manager of the contemporary, food services manager, wave manager. All came by our table and introduced themselves. Pretty awesome in that regard.
We feel 110% at ease.

Movies all day in a conference room projector with free popcorn and water.

Characters and games all day for the next two days.

Arcades set to free play for next two days. I might have played in there for 3+ hrs already. My kids were somewhere in there (I think). Don't judge. :D

Ate at the wave tonight- normal menu, 30% off (DVC or AP). Lunch will be a buffet tomorrow- I'll let ya know how it is. Will be 10% off for DVC, 20% for AP.

I'll post more pics tomorrow of the going ons during a hurricane.
Again- thoughts and prayers to those local. We're all thinking about you guys.

Glad to see Disney's doing a better job this year after last year's lunch box debacle.

Reactions: Suprachica79
View attachment 5326 View attachment 5325
They did the same thing during Matthew. These pics were taken the morning Matthew was to hit from the Beach Club.

ETA...sorry for the quality. There may have been a little champagne involved.

Glad to see Disney's doing a better job this year after last year's lunch box debacle.

Definitely.

This just happened

IMG_4115.jpg

Pretty much had them all to ourselves. Goofy and Pluto running around like fools with my kids and Donald acting like his typical a-hole self

Last edited:
Disney is officially outside of the cone of uncertainty.

I'll take any silver lining we can get at this point.

One of my mom's friends nearby has shutters so we're gonna head over there early tomorrow to ride out the worst of it. Don't know if it'll be any safer than my apartmen but mom will feel more calm there so that's good for two points.

If any of us west coast folks make it through this intact, I say we meet at HHN for a beer to celebrate haha. We'll need it.

Continued well wishes for everyone involved.

Definitely.

This just happened

Pretty much had them all to ourselves. Goofy and Pluto running around like fools with my kids and Donald acting like his typical a-hole self

That is so awesome!

You can put me in the corner with the people who think DI$ is nickle-and-dimming us and price gouging, but this is exactly why we all fell in love with theme parks. Man, this used to be the way all guests were treated! Good for you, and thanks for sharing this with us. :clap:

Good luck and stay safe!

Reactions: Coasted and Andysol
No need to sucure the mattress, it is just to catch the glass pieces, sort of stop them from being projectiles, same idea with the shower curtain.

Storm surge and live power lines are the bigger issues, in sfl, most stuff can deal with wind.

Still a long 24 hours ahead for us. I hope all stay safe! Natural selection grabs a bunch with things like this...we had a 3 pm curfew, got dinner delivered at 5 pm...I think the wife did it just cause she could...first death in the area was a surfer yesterday....saw a wave slap the heck out of a selfie taker on the tv....

The news speaks of folks in the keys riding it out on their boats...

Oh well...cabin fever time, night all. Be safe!

Reactions: UK-Trigg
This storm's prediction is just all over the place. To our Tampa friends, stay safe. Orlando looks to be in for a rough day, but nothing like was expected just 24 hours ago. I'm worried that this shift (especially with the Matthew shift last year) will cause locals to take future threats less seriously after a week of "hype".

Disney is officially outside of the cone of uncertainty.
Yes, it is outside the cone, but the cone is only an estimation of where the center of the storm will hit.

So while it is a good thing that the worst is going to miss it, Orlando is still going to be in for a rough day with estimated wind gusts of around 95mph (as of this post). That's nothing to sneeze at.

This storm's prediction is just all over the place. To our Tampa friends, stay safe. Orlando looks to be in for a rough day, but nothing like was expected just 24 hours ago. I'm worried that this shift (especially with the Matthew shift last year) will cause locals to take future threats less seriously after a week of "hype".
Two consecutive years of Cat 5's being predicted to do immense damage right through the middle of the state and then just sort of riding up the coasts are definitely going to make people feel like it's the "fake news media" crying wolf the next time a big one heads our way.

Last edited:
Two consecutive years of Cat 5's being predicted to do immense damage right through the middle of the state and then just sort of riding up the coasts are definitely going to make people feel like it's the "fake news media" crying wolf the next time a big one heads our way.

There's nothing I can say to this. Some live in a constant state of denial.

Supposed to fly in to Orlando next Sunday and stay at Cabana Bay. At this point we're not sure if we should keep the trip or cancel. I think my biggest trip related worry is about power outages at the airport, Universal and Disney. I've been hearing a lot of several week long outages.

Hope everyone stays safe.

Yes, it is outside the cone, but the cone is only an estimation of where the center of the storm will hit.

So while it is a good thing that the worst is going to miss it, Orlando is still going to be in for a rough day with estimated wind gusts of around 95mph (as of this post). That's nothing to sneeze at.

my neighbors got nothing but chips and beer to party the hurricane out lol. there were people I know that were laughing about the hurricane because of last year. people around here didn't even pick up their pots and little garden gnomes and stuff.