Hurricane Irma | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Hurricane Irma

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Whelp we made it to Tampa only to find out that the track shifted west and now we're right in the bullseye. Family is freaking out and I'm just sitting here like "well, we're here now."

Still have a hotel reservation in Orlando but I don't think it's worth using the last of our gas just to try and run and end up on the nasty northeast side of the storm anyway. We're loaded up on food, water, etc., and I doubt my apartment will lose its roof. Biggest fear is either of the two windows getting blown out (rated up to 110mph but it's an apt. so no shutters).

Genuinely scared here, not that I wasn't before.

Reactions: JMalez
Whelp we made it to Tampa only to find out that the track shifted west and now we're right in the bullseye. Family is freaking out and I'm just sitting here like "well, we're here now."

Still have a hotel reservation in Orlando but I don't think it's worth using the last of our gas just to try and run and end up on the nasty northeast side of the storm anyway. We're loaded up on food, water, etc., and I doubt my apartment will lose its roof. Biggest fear is either of the two windows getting blown out (rated up to 110mph but it's an apt. so no shutters).

At the very least heavy curtains, blanket, mattress against the windows in case they do break. Hang tight. If you can find gas (gasbuddy.com) and want to make a run for Orlando I would do it. Won't be real bad til tomorrow and Otown will have less effect than we are going to see here.

If I could get my mom out (she is 99) I would but she is in a concrete building so we will ride it out here. Probably going to lose my house. Boarded but the roof is 22 years old

I remember parking those things in the "roundhouse". You were supposed to touch the nose to a ball hanging above the beam. Of course you can't see the end of the beam from the nose. So i'd inch-by-inch and come as close as I could but never hit the damn ball out of fear of going to far. (Meanwhile this one ------ would just zoom and coast to a stop right at the ball. I hated him. LOL)
'twas probably me :shades:

Reactions: s8film40

If you can make it up to a shelter in Orlando I would try. Tampa is right in the main path of Irma. I'm actually taking in my cousin and his immediate and extended family (11 people total) coming from an Evac area in Tampa.

Reactions: JoeCamel
what are the roads like from Tampa to Orlando now?

I'd imagine they are getting snarled up with Tampa looking to get a battering.

Can anyone update?

If people are thinking of getting out I would say its now or never, I'm no expert but having watched a lot on the news over here I have a good grasp of things. Whatever you do guys stay safe and follow advice given by the authoritie where you can.

At the very least heavy curtains, blanket, mattress against the windows in case they do break. Hang tight. If you can find gas (gasbuddy.com) and want to make a run for Orlando I would do it. Won't be real bad til tomorrow and Otown will have less effect than we are going to see here.

If I could get my mom out (she is 99) I would but she is in a concrete building so we will ride it out here. Probably going to lose my house. Boarded but the roof is 22 years old

If you can make it up to a shelter in Orlando I would try. Tampa is right in the main path of Irma. I'm actually taking in my cousin and his immediate and extended family (11 people total) coming from an Evac area in Tampa.

Thanks guys. We have some friends in the area with shutters that have reached out to us that we may end up hunkering down with. Checked gasbuddy.com and we have nothing locally, so as much as I want to get outta dodge it's still looking risky to do so. We're well clear of any storm surge so our biggest concerns come from wind.

JoeCamel, are you staying in your house or are you planning to get out of town?

what are the roads like from Tampa to Orlando now?

I'd imagine they are getting snarled up with Tampa looking to get a battering.

Can anyone update?

If people are thinking of getting out I would say its now or never, I'm no expert but having watched a lot on the news over here I have a good grasp of things. Whatever you do guys stay safe and follow advice given by the authoritie where you can.
Roads aren't that bad from Tampa to Orlando. My cousin made it from Tampa area to Orlando in 2 hours. Said it was stop and go in some areas, but that's it.

Reactions: UK-Trigg

what i saw somebody do is take their shower curtain and nail to the window wall to cover the windows.
not sure how much it will hold but i thought it was interesting

This morning 7 Eleven was giving free water bottle packs near narcoossee road. I learned about it too late.
Apparently they were making up for price gouging somewhere else

Fast and Furious walls down! (for irma) Don't have photos, unfortunately. Both sets, at the new entrance and behind the saucer.