Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 146 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Preshows are line holders. If there was no preshow, then you would just be standing in line anyway. The reason why people hug the right side of the 2nd preshow in GOTG is so that they can be first to join the line near the ride entrance and not be behind everyone else in the preshow room, not because they don’t like preshows. I enjoy the preshows, but I hug that right side as well.
There's been multiple videos online (and I've seen it myself in person) people don't just hug the ride side of the 2nd preshow room... they literally open and walk right through the doors before Terry Crews even "calls the guardians".

Not against preshows, but the GOTG is just way too long for repeats. The people wanting to leave is an entirely separate situation.

People hugging/wanting to exit first is just a "I know an insider tip, so I'm going to show off I know about it so everyone thinks I'm god" situation so they can get ahead of everyone else.

I sit on the opposite side looking at the chaos lol

They fit no more than 5 trains worth of guests during the show... so only an additional 3-4 minute wait from the back. Just relax people

I had a weird middle ground experience with the preshow where about 2/3 of the room all huddled around the door, but no one was actually able or willing to open it. So for about half of the preshow there was a giant open space in the middle of the room with everyone else either next to the door, or along the back and left side of the room watching the preshow like normal. It was a little awkward!

If it was a good pre-show people and wasn't a year long, people would stick around to watch it. People never try to bust through the doors of Mission Breakout!

For me a preshow either needs to be short and sweet, or there needs to be something to latch onto. Haunted Mansion is great because the stretching room effect kicks in almost immediately after the pre show begins, and shortly after that you get the Ghost Host effect in the ceiling. And…that’s it, you’re out the door. It wastes no time.

Tower of Terror’s pre show is lacking in whiz bang effects but makes up for it with the video being extremely atmospheric and setting the tone for the ride super well. I also think Gringotts’ preshows are done well with Bill Weasley’s office being pretty breezy and complimented by a nice musion effect, and the elevator being unique. Side note, but I’ll always give a themed safety spiel a pass (Fallon and Soarin are pretty nice here).

With Guardians I think the first pre show feels pretty talky and overlong for what it’s trying convey (it honestly reminded me of the Bourne preshow), and the second preshow starts strong with the teleportation effect but fizzles out shortly after that. I honestly didn’t even notice that the cosmic generator was on display and then stolen since it’s at the front of the room and I was behind a mob of people (the chaos of everyone trying to escape the room didn’t help either). For most of the preshow it’s just screens with no real extra kick like you can get from musion, animatronics (shoutout to Mission Breakout), etc. That’s why it would make little difference to me if that info was conveyed with regular monitors in a regular queue.

This is currently my favorite ride, but unfortunately we don't go on it nearly as much as we could primarily because of the pre-shows and the hunger games dash afterward.

My son isn't a huge fan of it because it goes backwards, he did enjoy it the first 3 times we went on it but after that he doesn't want to ride. It just isn't worth trying to do a child swap because the pre-shows make it impractical.

But the pre-shows are literally the line. Like just because you get to go into a room and watch soemthing, doesnt mean you arent still in line. They actually are entertaining you while you are still in line. I dont get the hubbub
Right there with ya! If you hate preshows that much, then close your eyes or look the other way. I just believe that people think the preshows make your wait longer, but as I said and you said, either way, preshow or no preshow, you are standing in line the same amount of time.

I understand that after riding the ride from year to year, the preshow can be boring or less enjoyable, but once again, if you are bored then don’t pay attention. I would rather be bored by a preshow than winding up and down the turnstiles looking at walls.

But hey, to each their own. Everybody is different and likes what he/she likes. Kinda what makes the world go around.

Last edited:
I think I just kinda wish Single Rider lines were still a thing so that I could sometimes speed past all of the theming rigmarole and get on the fun coaster faster. I wish there were ways to appreciate this like I can with Space Mountain, Everest, etc.

Reactions: Tobias
I understand the need for preshows and I do enjoy them. My complaint is more related to the way Disney does child swap vs UOR. Having a kid have to wait the duration of a line, preshows, the ride, express line, preshows, and ride is a little much.

I guess the differences are that at Disney they aren't trapped in the little fish tank or have to go through some potentially spooky stuff, but its so more efficient to have the fish tank.

But the pre-shows are literally the line. Like just because you get to go into a room and watch soemthing, doesnt mean you arent still in line. They actually are entertaining you while you are still in line. I dont get the hubbub
Yeah, but you're waiting in an orderly line until the preshow, which puts everyone in an open space and allows people to "cut" infront of others. Guests are in a constant state of competition with each other at Disney over Virtual Line, Genie times, reservations...this part of the ride highlights that "guest vs. guest" race that happens all the time with open room preshows like this one.

Last edited:
Yeah, but you're waiting in an orderly line until the preshow, which puts everyone in an open space and allows people to "cut" infront of others. Guests are in a constant state of competition with each other at Disney over Virtual Line, Genie times, reservations...this part of the ride highlights that "guest vs. guest" race that happens all the time with open room preshows like this one.
Agree completely.

It's a bit of a different thing, but I wish they'd do something along the lines of the preshow for Fallon at Uni. Get people into separate switchbacks FOR the preshow. Keeps groups separate and prevents the crowding/cutting

Not losing much time being at the back of the GOTG crowd. Feels like they fit no more than 100 peeps at a time, which is only 5 fully loaded trains... only an extra 5 min wait being last lol

But, I do agree that the preshow is way too long for the type of experience. Rise's preshows are understandable, but a fun very repeatable coaster shouldn't have a long preshow. Could have easily been consolidated into one.

Not losing much time being at the back of the GOTG crowd. Feels like they fit no more than 100 peeps at a time, which is only 5 fully loaded trains... only an extra 5 min wait being last lol

But, I do agree that the preshow is way too long for the type of experience. Rise's preshows are understandable, but a fun very repeatable coaster shouldn't have a long preshow. Could have easily been consolidated into one.
yeah but also

If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

I understand the need for preshows and I do enjoy them. My complaint is more related to the way Disney does child swap vs UOR. Having a kid have to wait the duration of a line, preshows, the ride, express line, preshows, and ride is a little much.

I guess the differences are that at Disney they aren't trapped in the little fish tank or have to go through some potentially spooky stuff, but its so more efficient to have the fish tank.
Universal has their fair share of issues with child swap. I know some families prefer that their child not wait in the line or have issues riding the ride themselves as the child won't even get into the line. Also, VC is a perfect example of a ride built like this one. Where the child swap is BEFORE the pre-show (top deck) which means a very long wait in a fishbowl. And if they are down a coaster that wait is even longer.

At least with Disney we swapped off and rode something else instead of stuck in a room. For example, we would all walk over to space mountain and get the child swap pass. I would then take the kids who can't ride over to Buzz lightyear, then we would switch off at exit and my husband would take the too short kids onto the people mover. I didn't care if I rode the people mover and he didn't care if he rode Buzz and the older kids didn't care about either. They got to ride space mountain twice.

So I get pre-shows add to child swap wait time, but at least you could be off doing something else or letting the younger ones run around. I am not saying either method is perfect, but they both have pros and cons.

Universal has their fair share of issues with child swap. I know some families prefer that their child not wait in the line or have issues riding the ride themselves as the child won't even get into the line. Also, VC is a perfect example of a ride built like this one. Where the child swap is BEFORE the pre-show (top deck) which means a very long wait in a fishbowl. And if they are down a coaster that wait is even longer.

At least with Disney we swapped off and rode something else instead of stuck in a room. For example, we would all walk over to space mountain and get the child swap pass. I would then take the kids who can't ride over to Buzz lightyear, then we would switch off at exit and my husband would take the too short kids onto the people mover. I didn't care if I rode the people mover and he didn't care if he rode Buzz and the older kids didn't care about either. They got to ride space mountain twice.

So I get pre-shows add to child swap wait time, but at least you could be off doing something else or letting the younger ones run around. I am not saying either method is perfect, but they both have pros and cons.
100% agree with you, I know Mummy was a difficult fishbowl due to the queue and. One time I used it awhile ago, they were showing the mummy cartoon at very high volume which I get synergy but dude that may be a bit much for young kids.

Tomorrowland is a very good example of how it could work without the fishbowls with so much readily available for younger children. Guardians your close options are Mission Space and Test Track which aren't the easiest to make work otherwise you're trekking over to Nemo most likely

100% agree with you, I know Mummy was a difficult fishbowl due to the queue and. One time I used it awhile ago, they were showing the mummy cartoon at very high volume which I get synergy but dude that may be a bit much for young kids.

Tomorrowland is a very good example of how it could work without the fishbowls with so much readily available for younger children. Guardians your close options are Mission Space and Test Track which aren't the easiest to make work otherwise you're trekking over to Nemo most likely
Well now they don't have any volume in most of them which annoys my son who can't read the CC on the monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fishbowls in some cases as it can be faster and easier, but other times I wish it was the other way. So really I go back and forth on this one lol

Reactions: MrRoamer