Disney's California Adventure Overhaul | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's California Adventure Overhaul

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Wow... so, some of the mouths are practical/mechanical and others are internal projections? Freakishly well done when it is hard to tell. Mater's multiple mouths leaves me speechless.

Yeah it's looked about half-and-half... but holy crap. What a ride. The motion on those AA's was so smooth and realistic.

well-played-mauer.jpg%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D275

Are you guys reviewing it on based on video? :lol: Tsk Tsk. I'll wait until I'm there in November to say anything.

Even on video... that sucker is impressive.

Yeah it really is.

I must say that as much as I really do not like The Cars theme or franchise/property...I do like what they did with this to make it a great ride overall. It is just well thought out like Disney Rides of the past. There is synched on board music to enhance the emotions, the sets are physical and have an otherworldly charm inside that take you to that place, and the sets are well thought out to seem very in depth(and some really are) to just be able to reset to give the same continuous show. For example. The Mater right after the Sheriff scene and him driving backwards and through some bushes he appears to appear again. Same character, different Animatronic. I am shocked at how many cars they are running at once.

The part with the waterfall is amazing, and especially the way the music changes when it comes into view. This land is the best one Disney has made without a doubt (probably the most expensive too).

People are comapring this to the WWOHP and Forbidden Journey but there really isnt any comparison. This blows harry potter out of the water, in size, scenery, etc. Sometimes I imagine what if Disneys California Adventure would have done Harry Potter instead of carsland in that space. Imagine instead of Cadillac Ranch, Hogwarts, and the surrounding mountains and the forrbidden forest. You can only dream.

Last edited:
If we had gotten this kind of treatment for the New Fantasyland Expansion, I would be much more excited about it. I just might have to save up for a trip to Anaheim, now...

People are comapring this to the WWOHP and Forbidden Journey but there really isnt any comparison. This blows harry potter out of the water, in size, scenery, etc.

You forgot "In My Opinion" there. The two rides are in the same league, and the lands are as well. It all comes down to your preference.

End of line.

In no way are the lands in the same league. Your COMPLETELY wrong. I was primarily talking about size. However, the cool thing about Harry Potter and the FJ is the Kuka arm tech. but what is the ride, projections and a couple of sets that are kinda just thrown in together. Its not a bad ride but Carsland as a whole blows harry potter out of the water, from the size to the plot. Also the animatronics in Radiator Springs Racers are not even comaprable to the puppets that are in Forbidden Journey (except for the dragon) There are more places to eat in Carsland than in the WWOHP and I've heard that the food is really, really good with variety.
(You even see some of the show building from inside Harry Potter land, so thats like strike one.)

But it was just a comment. You can inbox me.

Last edited:
You forgot "In My Opinion" there. The two rides are in the same league, and the lands are as well. It all comes down to your preference.

End of line.

I agree and disagree. I think this has a much better scope than Potter does at IoA, plus it doesn't suffer from the thematic issues of Dragon's Challenge (wizarding world in england to a marshy pit in Orlando with a giant metal wall). But in the end it really does come down to preference. I like Potter way way more than Cars (even the worst of Potter) but this land is way more visually immersive and flat out awe inspiring than WWoHP.

Yay for competition! :happy::happy::happy:

MIAboy was saying the same things before this project was even finished.. so take his "opinions" with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Cecilia
from the size to the plot.

Carsland and WWoHP are both 12 acres.

I agree and disagree. I think this has a much better scope than Potter does at IoA, plus it doesn't suffer from the thematic issues of Dragon's Challenge (wizarding world in england to a marshy pit in Orlando with a giant metal wall). But in the end it really does come down to preference. I like Potter way way more than Cars (even the worst of Potter) but this land is way more visually immersive and flat out awe inspiring than WWoHP.

Yay for competition! :happy::happy::happy:

Dragons isn't an issue until your on it, though. There's not visual intrusion in the land as a whole.

The two are probably the most well done lands in the country, and after WWoHP 2.0 opens, I don't think Cars will be able to compare to Potter's ambition and scope.

We also have to remember how much money was thrown at this thing (Skip will tell ya'). Comparing WWoHP and this will only lead us nowhere. RSR's cost (Skip help me out here) $300 mil? $400 mil? FJ cost $90 mil. Little Mermaid Cost $100 mil lol! They are two well-themed, specialty lands with major E's. But I'm not going to sit here and debate which is better than the other when one cost 2-3 times as much as the other.

Instead, I'll just enjoy both as they were intended... 3,000 miles apart and not in direct competition. :wave:

Carsland and WWoHP are both 12 acres.

Dragons isn't an issue until your on it, though. There's not visual intrusion in the land as a whole.

The two are probably the most well done lands in the country, and after WWoHP 2.0 opens, I don't think Cars will be able to compare to Potter's ambition and scope.

But thats my point, both the same size but Carsland seems larger. (btw, most of the land in WWOHP is Dragon Challange)

Well, idk, Im excited for WWoHP 2.0 but i still dont like the fact that it might be in jaws place. Potter in two parks is tacky. Thats a money hungry move from Uni. (But thats my opinion)

In no way are the lands in the same league. Your COMPLETELY wrong. I was primarily talking about size. However, the cool thing about Harry Potter and the FJ is the Kuka arm tech. but what is the ride, projections and a couple of sets that are kinda just thrown in together. Its not a bad ride but Carsland as a whole blows harry potter out of the water, from the size to the plot. Also the animatronics in Radiator Springs Racers are not even comaprable to the puppets that are in Forbidden Journey (except for the dragon) There are more places to eat in Carsland than in the WWOHP and I've heard that the food is really, really good with variety.
(You even see some of the show building from inside Harry Potter land, so thats like strike one.)

But it was just a comment. You can inbox me.

Telling someone that their opinion is "COMPLETELY wrong" is bordering on ignorance. Cars Land looks amazing, no doubt, but that doesn't mean that all of a sudden we should start discrediting the Wizarding World. To say that FJ is just a bunch of sets and projections thrown together is a bit ignorant in and of itself. A lot of people spent several years working on both RSR and FJ, and the results are, IN MY OPINION, equally impressive, albeit in their own way.

At the end of the day, both of these lands do an incredible job of making you feel like you have entered the world of the corresponding films or books.

We also have to remember how much money was thrown at this thing (Skip will tell ya'). Comparing WWoHP and this will only lead us nowhere. RSR's cost (Skip help me out here) $300 mil? $400 mil? FJ cost $90 mil. Little Mermaid Cost $100 mil lol! They are two well-themed, specialty lands with major E's. But I'm not going to sit here and debate which is better than the other when one cost 2-3 times as much as the other.

Instead, I'll just enjoy both as they were intended... 3,000 miles apart and not in direct competition. :wave:

True dat. Thats why they are in different leagues. But once harry potter moves in around the corner to Uni Hollywood, theres gonna be competition. I love it !!!!!!!!!!!

But thats my point, both the same size but Carsland seems larger. (btw, most of the land in WWOHP is Dragon Challange)

Right, but Carsland is supposed to be larger. Radiator Springs is a much more expansive setting than Hogsmede. You're comparing apples and oranges. Just like Forbidden Journey and Radiator Springs Racers are rides with two different purposes and directions. Both are in the upper echelon of rides, seemingly. In that case it all comes down to preference.

Well, idk, Im excited for WWoHP 2.0 but i still dont like the fact that it might be in jaws place. Potter in two parks is tacky. Thats a money hungry move from Uni. (But thats my opinion)

There is no "might". It's going into Jaws. And what you call tacky I call amazing. We get a new E-ticket hybrid coaster and a brand new E-ticket for both IoA and USF in the Hogwarts Express.

And every move is a money hungry move. Make no mistake. Disney would have never done this DCA upgrade if it didn't mean they were going to make gobs and gobs of money.

Hell, they made the land Cars based on merchandising sales.