Wicked (2024 film) | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Wicked (2024 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Two movies....lots of similar/shared production costs....More Profit, less chance of losing money. ....Probably the real overriding reason for two instead of one.
Of course. I highly doubt there’s a legit story reason it truly needs to be a two parter. It’s all about squeezing as much profit as possible.

Also, they aren’t marketing this as “Part 1” (which is smart), but also… it might feel a bit like a hoodwink to fans who don’t realize they aren’t getting the whole film.

My guess is they are also fleshing out the parts people are most familiar with to make it more accessible, or at least as much as they can without Warner suing for copyright infringement on the 1939 Wizard of Oz. I was surprised to see Dorothy and friends in the trailer:

The fact they even have her in the 1939 MGM gingham dress says to me they have an agreement with Warner on it, and we may get more of the material covered in the Wicked movie than they could in the stage version.

The only thing trademarked/copyrighted from the film currently is the ruby slippers. The trailer is for the entire series....they show Galinda/Glinda's wedding in the trailer which isn't in the musical and definitely would be along the lines of ACT II

Of course. I highly doubt there’s a legit story reason it truly needs to be a two parter. It’s all about squeezing as much profit as possible.

Also, they aren’t marketing this as “Part 1” (which is smart), but also… it might feel a bit like a hoodwink to fans who don’t realize they aren’t getting the whole film.
The same thing Dune did yet no one says anything.

The only thing trademarked/copyrighted from the film currently is the ruby slippers. The trailer is for the entire series....they show Galinda/Glinda's wedding in the trailer which isn't in the musical and definitely would be along the lines of ACT II

The same thing Dune did yet no one says anything.
There was actually people very vocally upset at the time with the film ending sort of in the middle. It was a great film though. Wicked can’t be just okay, it needs to be something that people can’t wait for more of. If executed properly, they should achieve that with where the film will leave off.

Reactions: mccgavin and Clive
People were very upset about the Dune "part 1" reveal. It was probably the right thing to do, though, and they arguably had the goods to pull it off - though we'll see how Part 2 does in a few weeks.

Nick's right. Wicked has to knock it out of the park. After this trailer, I'm not so sure.

I'm excited

No idea how it will do, i just care if I like it and I'm happy it looks kinda how I thought it would in my mind

It seems the prolific producer Marc Platt especially regarding musical films (LalaLand, Cruella, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, etc) was the one who made the decision to make it 2 parts not Universal. He is stating the expanded content they had for the film had it hitting 4 hours before cutting songs. A 4 hour musical is a harder sell than 2 part musical. And you know if they truncated certain songs, musical fans would riot.

“We didn’t want to end up making one four-hour movie and then cutting out songs. We want to satisfy the fans of the musical,” says Platt. “Film allows you to create a place and a time—a university like Shiz, an extraordinary Emerald City governor’s mansion. There’s so much more to explore.”

Stephen Schwartz
"We tried for some time to make it one movie, even if it had to be one very long movie," Schwartz told the publication. But they kept running into issues: "Even as a very long single movie, it required us cutting or omitting things that we wanted to include and that we think fans of the show and the story will appreciate. Secondly, we found it very difficult to get past 'Defying Gravity' without a break. That song is written specifically to bring a curtain down, and whatever scene to follow it without a break just seemed hugely anti-climactic. So, for these two reasons, plus the excitement of doing something that's never been done before with a musical, we have decided to do two movies. Of course, when it's all done, if it doesn't work that way, we'll have to figure something out. But we strongly believe that this is what's best for our story, our show, and our fans."

I’m open to it mainly because I love the pmsy

I’d take a 4 hour version of Sweeney Todd or Hamilton if done well

The extra 45mins would definitely be generous for runtime. I'd be curious to compare other musical adaptation runtimes

The entire stage production is on Disney+ ...there is no need to make it longer.
I’d still love a version where it’s set back in the day

I know not everyone loves it but Sweeney Todd the movie is fantastic and doesn’t matter if they have a filmed stage version they are different

Heck, I’d take animated versions of wicked as well. Different singers bring different energy

You can look up animated musicals from fans and they are super fun and expressive

So are they angling for a franchise here? Really not sure what the appetite would be for a number 3, especially if number 2 is as flimsy as the shows second act.

So are they angling for a franchise here? Really not sure what the appetite would be for a number 3, especially if number 2 is as flimsy as the shows second act.
Welll technically in the book and kinda skipped out in the movies, Fiyero dies of course but Elphaba has his kid who doesn't realize he is her kid nor she recognizes him and she moves into the house of Fiyero's wife and his other children where she starts practicing magic....her dad the munchkin father wanted her to come back to Munchkin land to help with her sister who was being called Wicked Witch of the East due to her harsh religious laws etc. While there she finds out the wizard's force took all she heads to Oz to get them freed but the Wizard killed all of them. Time passes she goes back to Munchkinland to find her sister killed and she catches up with Glinda who still in in love with Elphaba but she gets pissed off about the slippers because Nessa promised those who go to her and its a sign of her father's love. Of course its gets complicated and ends with her knowing the wizard is her fault and her "dying" while her son joins Dorothy and the crew...

The third film in the wicked years would be about LIIR and his adventures in OZ with Scarecow, dorothy etc.

Reactions: Legacy

Have you seen the stage show? There's barely enough story to maintain its runtime.

This will be more based on the book, rather than the musical. People are underestimating the amount of story here.

I’m not saying this will win Oscars, but I do think this looks great tbh. I’m not sure why I’m in the minority on this frankly, people seem to want to hate this film either cause they hate Ariana or people just need something to hate. It’s Wicked, just have fun and enjoy the music! Cast is stacked.

Reactions: tielo