Wicked (2024 film) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Wicked (2024 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, the buzz about the sizzle reel has been tremendous. Apparently it's visually stunning and they played Defying Gravity over the film and it was as good or better than expected. Despite the dark images we've seen the things they showed were very "Technicolor" with bright vivid images reminiscent of the 1939 Wizard of Oz.

Some of my doubts are fading...

Yeah, the buzz about the sizzle reel has been tremendous. Apparently it's visually stunning and they played Defying Gravity over the film and it was as good or better than expected. Despite the dark images we've seen the things they showed were very "Technicolor" with bright vivid images reminiscent of the 1939 Wizard of Oz.

Some of my doubts are fading...

Then I remember it’s Wicked….

• Haha
Reactions: ghostsarejerks
The audio from the CinemaCon trailer is...out there...won't say where, but a little Birdie may have led me to it with minimal effort, haha.

Even garbled and with some stupid copyright message over the top of it, I can fully say I'm not emotionally or physically ready for Cynthia to wreck me with her vocals! The battle cry is instantly iconic!

Reactions: GAcoaster
One of the most paper thin musicals I don't know how they're going to stretch this out to four hours.

The first act kiiiinda works but that second act is such a mess I'm really not sure how they're gonna make it three acts. Really smells like a It Chapter One -> Chapter Two scenario.

Yeah, it looks like they're fleshing out some of the stuff from the book they had to cut from the musical. The character that Bowen Yang is playing is from the book, but never is shown in the musical.

I'm guessing there will be at least two new songs, with one in each film so they get Academy Award nominations for best song. That's pretty standard for most film adaptations of musicals.

The first act kiiiinda works but that second act is such a mess I'm really not sure how they're gonna make it three acts. Really smells like a It Chapter One -> Chapter Two scenario.
To be fair most plays I can think of all have strong starts then they do finales

I do think Wicked Finale song is great but yes part one has more songs I loved vs part 2 but....Book of Mormon for example I think also is better in its first half

Wicked is great and I will not listen to any of this blasphemy!
It is great! As a musical! It's the translation to two films that I'm worried about!

To be fair most plays I can think of all have strong starts then they do finales

I do think Wicked Finale song is great but yes part one has more songs I loved vs part 2 but....Book of Mormon for example I think also is better in its first half
Sure, but that's usually less of a concern because you're not trying to expand the weaker second half into a full feature film!

I thought this was releasing for Christmas, did they move it up to late November or am I just imagining that Christmas timeline? It would sort of make sense to release it in late November because that'll give it about 3.5 weeks to play before major holiday competition comes in mid December 2024 (Avatar 3, Sonic 3) and this is probably a movie that will still hold up over Holiday season.

I thought this was releasing for Christmas, did they move it up to late November or am I just imagining that Christmas timeline? It would sort of make sense to release it in late November because that'll give it about 3.5 weeks to play before major holiday competition comes in mid December 2024 (Avatar 3, Sonic 3) and this is probably a movie that will still hold up over Holiday season.
Christmas 2025 is Act II, November 2024 is Act I

Christmas 2025 is Act II, November 2024 is Act I
December 2025 is supposedly when that New Jedi Council movie is coming out (which may not even do extremely well anyway, who knows), but it doesn't really matter because Musicals perform in their own lane most of the time.

I think more than anything, sort of as others have said, the thing that's going to hurt this more than anything is that they are splitting it into two to begin with. The part that everyone wants to see is in 2024. Plus it's not like they are going to pull a Potter or Avengers and have the second "part" make way more than the first. The people who are going to see this are theater fans and Oz fans mostly i'd think no matter what. You're not pulling a Deathly Hallows Part 2 or Avengers: Engame and making a whole ton more than the first part. If anything, it might be closer to The Hunger Games where Part 2 actually makes less money.

They moved it up a few months ago, most likely to avoid competition with Avatar.

The quality seems HIGH for this film via all the leaks. I don’t think 2 parts will be a problem at all here, especially when it’s just 1 year apart rather than having to wait. A la Infinity War and Endgame. Ending a film of Defying Gravity could be the best ending to a film.