Wicked (2024 film) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Wicked (2024 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just think this is like a Dune problem for people like me. I still haven't seen Dune (and I have HBO Max) simply because it's really only half of the movie.

I'll watch Wicked as long as i'm not hearing bad things about it like Cats or DEH, but I'll wait until I can watch them back to back in one sitting.
I'd still watch it....really great film. And the sequel is coming

I'd still watch it....really great film. And the sequel is coming
I'll watch it... right before the second part is about to be released to theaters :lol:

For Wicked, I do hope there will be double feature options in theaters once Wicked: Part Two comes out so that I can just sit in a theater for 4 hours or so and enjoy what should hopefully be a good movie experience.

Last edited:
I had desperately hoped, from the very beginning, that the movie would implement a whole lot of the darker elements from the book into the movie. The only way to really do that is to expand the second act because that’s where so much of it is (after Elphaba leaves Shiz). For that reason, I’m pretty glad it’s getting a second movie.

After Defying Gravity, Elphaba is waging a singular political war on the wizard, fighting for Animal rights, falling in love, and trying to reconcile with her estranged sister. OH, and she’s performing body-horror experiments to create flying monkeys. In the book, she’s also trying to atone for causing Fiyero’s capture and death (as a political prisoner) by FOLLOWING HIS WIFE AND KIDS BACK TO HIS CASTLE IN THE VINKUS.

The second half of the story, in the play, always got short shrift because they breeze over the interesting stuff to create closure with Glinda.

Now, you have a “Young Adult” movie where an outcast finds herself, becomes disillusioned, and sets out on her life purpose, followed by a “New Adult” movie where she finds romance, fights for her ideals, and accepts the consequences of her choices.

I’m for it.

Reactions: Tbad556
I had desperately hoped, from the very beginning, that the movie would implement a whole lot of the darker elements from the book into the movie. The only way to really do that is to expand the second act because that’s where so much of it is (after Elphaba leaves Shiz). For that reason, I’m pretty glad it’s getting a second movie.

After Defying Gravity, Elphaba is waging a singular political war on the wizard, fighting for Animal rights, falling in love, and trying to reconcile with her estranged sister. OH, and she’s performing body-horror experiments to create flying monkeys. In the book, she’s also trying to atone for causing Fiyero’s capture and death (as a political prisoner) by FOLLOWING HIS WIFE AND KIDS BACK TO HIS CASTLE IN THE VINKUS.

The second half of the story, in the play, always got short shrift because they breeze over the interesting stuff to create closure with Glinda.

Now, you have a “Young Adult” movie where an outcast finds herself, becomes disillusioned, and sets out on her life purpose, followed by a “New Adult” movie where she finds romance, fights for her ideals, and accepts the consequences of her choices.

I’m for it.
Agreed. I thoroughly enjoy the musical, but in its current form, it would not translate well to film whatsoever. The story is already pretty underbaked/has pacing issues at the musical's 2 1/2 hour runtime, but it's typically forgiven because of the iconic songs and the chemistry of the characters. Cinema would not be nearly as forgiving. Giving it more room to breathe and possibly even expand into some of the book is a win in my eyes.

Wicked is great because it’s a live theatrical spectacle with some BANGERS. The shock of seeing a person fully green won’t translate on screen, that’s legit part of the fun seeing Wicked.

I pray this is good, I just don’t think it will be.

I just realized who’s producing this.

Benjamin Platt is going to be Fiyero, isn’t he?

I just realized who’s producing this.

Benjamin Platt is going to be Fiyero, isn’t he?
In Marc Platt's defense, he produces a lot of stuff and Ben has only been in DEH. That said, I have very little hope that this movie will be good.

I'm raising my expectations with some of the pictures that have been posted, although I'm still afraid they'll somehow manage to screw it up with changes to the story.

Then why show it like this?

Every time a bad trailer or first look comes out, people are so eager to defend the film without questioning why a product would choose to represent itself so poorly.
Idk either tbh, but I like the first look. It does feel too early for anything