WGA & SAG Strike of 2023 | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

WGA & SAG Strike of 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Running a union for a good number of years, I would say that 78% is a very strong approval number. Generally, consensus is much less than that.
Yeah I guess history actually shows this is normal for SAG. Looked at 2008 ratification numbers and they were the exact same.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I don’t think ratification was ever in real jeopardy, but only passing with 78% support tells me that 2026 is going to be another year of possible intense AI negotiations as that’s what most people have an issue with on this deal.

AI is too much of a sexy tool for the studios to reject. It’s true that AI can’t be used for writing since any creative prompt entered in ChatGPT is usually nonsensical. But when it comes to recreating actor likenesses, it’s actually very effective.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
After everything last year with the strikes... and they do this. So disgusting and spineless. Ugh.

I mean, if the actor/actress is actively giving their permission to use AI to replicate giving their likeness, then it doesn’t seem so bad to me. I can see a lot of benefit here in something like a video game based on a movie headlined by a star who’s usually too busy/expensive for games.

Of course, this sucks for the lesser-known voice actors who rely on this kind of work…

I mean, if the actor/actress is actively giving their permission to use AI to replicate giving their likeness, then it doesn’t seem so bad to me. I can see a lot of benefit here in something like a video game based on a movie headlined by a star who’s usually too busy/expensive for games.

Of course, this sucks for the lesser-known voice actors who rely on this kind of work…
This is a stab to all VO-artists. Doesn't matter a damn second if it's lesser known artists or top of the line headliner people. Doesn't matter if it's gaming, animation, or voiceover for advertisements and reels; it screws all of them over.

It’s like how google is just replacing people with AI

Only a handful of people win with AI, it then screws the rest of us if money

The government is going to have to step in and tax companies based on if you use AI and it cost a job that there is extra taxes, only fair way I see it because stuff like letting actors sell their likeness just puts putter actors or VA out of a job

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
This just… idk I’m not gonna get too personal here but the strikes significantly affected my livelihood for the last year and to see them do this... I shall refrain from letting my emotions get the better of me.

Seems like an easy way for the top 1% of Hollywood stars to get jobs without working and licensing out their voice and likeness while others will now be without an opportunity to get that gig. I’m not a huge gamer but imagine if they just did a Ray Liotta AI for the Michael character in GTA V instead of have a lesser known actor play a similar character and make it their own.

That’s how outta the loop I am in the gaming sector. GTA V was the last game I purchased lol

A lot of voiceover work for minor type things where most people make a living will be dead within a few years and frankly attempts to block it from happening will just move that production to anyone willing to use ai.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95

Kicking this back up--as the IATSE have put to the notion of a Strike Authorization Vote.

Reactions: Jerroddragon

Kicking this back up--as the IATSE have put to the notion of a Strike Authorization Vote.
We’re definitely going to come in stronger than we did in ‘21. We’ve been feeling the effects of that raw deal ever since. It’ll be one to keep an eye on, for sure.