WGA & SAG Strike of 2023 | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

WGA & SAG Strike of 2023

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, I guess they just want lose out on money for movies like Hunger Games....since the cast wont be able to go out and do press

Worst is we know at this point they will agree to something but they just drag it out....because?

One has to think the heads of the studios got angry over Newsoms protection bills for those unemployed. Either way—extremely irresponsible and angering; and hopefully they see the sense in giving the actors what they should get.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
The CEOs are coming back to the negotiating table today and they have an offer ready. Supposedly Iger took the lead on this, which kinda makes sense as he probably wants The Marvels to be able to have it's stars out there, which can only happen now if this gets done over the next few days.

Truly hope these talks work out because if not, they're at serious risk of this thing falling into 2024.

Last edited:
If these talks don't work out, Studios are threatening to shut down talks until 2024. Me thinks the studios are in no position to make threat like that. I am pretty optimistic on current talks, but we'll see.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I don’t see why the studios want nothing in production. I get greed and capitalism but everyone has already ruined their 2024 profits but having zero content, why would they want that to head into 2025?

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I don’t see why the studios want nothing in production. I get greed and capitalism but everyone has already ruined their 2024 profits but having zero content, why would they want that to head into 2025?

I can’t remember where I saw this, but I think some of the streamers just had their best financial quarter by riding off the content they have already without worrying about all the production costs.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I can’t remember where I saw this, but I think some of the streamers just had their best financial quarter by riding off the content they have already without worrying about all the production costs.
Yep. There's tons of catalogue content to use. And they significantly overproduced content, leading to those extreme losses, the past few years. They actually lose less money by being shut down.

It will be short lived

No one will have these services if we are getting no new content for now Netflix is getting new stuff but if in 6 months its nothing new, people will just stop paying.

Companies are being sooo short sided right now

It will be short lived

No one will have these services if we are getting no new content for now Netflix is getting new stuff but if in 6 months its nothing new, people will just stop paying.

Companies are being sooo short sided right now

I disagree. The thing is the reason why shows like Friends, The Office, etc became so valuable IPs were because streaming wasn't a thing. Streaming created an overabundance of content with everyone spending money to get eyes on the content. But due to limited new content, what are people watching...SUITS and older shows bringing and adding value to the past libraries allowing them to gain value.

The studios are hating the fact they can't monetize new properties and exploit new IPs but love the fact things already paid for and created are gaining value.

I disagree. The thing is the reason why shows like Friends, The Office, etc became so valuable IPs were because streaming wasn't a thing. Streaming created an overabundance of content with everyone spending money to get eyes on the content. But due to limited new content, what are people watching...SUITS and older shows bringing and adding value to the past libraries allowing them to gain value.

The studios are hating the fact they can't monetize new properties and exploit new IPs but love the fact things already paid for and created are gaining value.
You could be right

I'm not really the General public on this, I go streaming app to app depending on the season and whats on. But I doubt most people do that

Older catalogue titles on dvd/br always made big bucks for the studios. That's a profit avenue, mostly already paid for, that can easily be tapped in by the streaming services if they hold the IP rights. They probably should have been focusing more on that in the past instead of 'overproducing' new content. Losses wouldn't have been so high. They just need a tad of new content to tease the subscribers.

They don't care, they are hemorrhaging money on an unsustainable streaming model and have a scapegoat for lack of new content and changes/price hikes now. They need to milk everything already released for all it's worth, and unfortunately a lack of new content won't kill off streaming in the short to mid term.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Mad Dog
There is going to come a point some time next year where studios just run out of content though. Netflix may actually have enough, but most studios will run out by mid 2024. These streamers are going to be green lighting a lot of reality/unscripted content to fill space for awhile.

Reactions: youhow2
Hopefully the two sides can get things worked out ASAP as I really do think if things aren't hammered home in the next week the studios will give up until next year. In the meantime though, The Hunger Games has managed to get an interim agreement for the cast to promote the film since Lionsgate isn't an AMPTP Studio. This being said, I do wonder how comfortable the cast will feel promoting the film if a strike is still going on as the movie gets closer.

Sooooo…. SAG has responded, and it doesn’t sound like they are accepting the deal. SAG has held out this long and the studios tried to pull this same "Last, best, final" offer crap with the WGA and they came back to the table after it blew up in their face. They've held out this long, if the deal isn't good enough, specifically regarding AI, then keep going if you have to. The studios can't afford to continue to operate like this for too much longer.

Last edited:
I still have some guarded optimism (neither group has yet presented/leaked detail points of the proposals, and all the trades are reporting that more talks are being scheduled for potentially as soon as tonight), but 2024 is going to be very grim for theaters if this isn't resolved imminently.

There's already been a projected $1 billion "loss" of 2024 box office from movies delaying to 2025, and if productions aren't restarted very soon, I expect another seven or eight big titles to leave '24, as well.

ETA: Sticking point seems to be a specific A.I. clause...

The money issues seem to have been agreed upon, for the most part. The studios just need to let this A.I. thing go (especially since it appears they've already gone most of the way towards SAG in terms of consent and payment for likenesses outside of this specific clause in question).

Last edited: