Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm honestly flustered on why they were so deadset on matching Disney with Avatar/Pandora. It's AVATAR and they're opening a water park. It's completely different markets. I'm guessing the higher-ups refused to miss out on Memorial Day weekend? But you clearly still could've done softs at that time and swallowed the crowd already guaranteed to be there.

But whatever, Universal gonna Universal

I think it was more for the holiday weekend than for Avatar

Which also doesn't make sense: you could've done softs, it's not like people weren't going to show up.

Sigh, but it's spilt milk. Universal's just cleaning it up at the moment, more power to them.

Yes. DCA had a month of softs, and I believe IOA did as well. Shanghai DL had a month-and-a-half, Hong Kong similar.

How did they handle tickets in those cases? Did they just let people in for free?

Also, those are both parks adjacent to existing parks. This is a park you have to prepare/pack for differently, not just saying "Oh hey, did you like that theme park? Come check out this theme park!" while waving people in. It's relatively far away, and you kind of need specific equipment (bathing suit, towel, etc)

For VB, they could have done soft testing with ALL 2 park UOAPs for a couple days before. Then they'd get average attendance and it would maybe entice some people on the fence to upgrade?

Reactions: Cheezbat
How did they handle tickets in those cases? Did they just let people in for free?

You could buy tickets (sometimes discounted) under the warning that this was a "rehearsal" and that not everything may be operating yet.

Also Volcano Bay is adjacent to a hotel with a huge pool area, and another one nearby. It's Orlando. Not hard to assume APs would flock and people would have swimsuits on hand.

Also, those are both parks adjacent to existing parks. This is a park you have to prepare/pack for differently, not just saying "Oh hey, did you like that theme park? Come check out this theme park!" while waving people in. It's relatively far away, and you kind of need specific equipment (bathing suit, towel, etc)

For VB, they could have done soft testing with ALL 2 park UOAPs for a couple days before. Then they'd get average attendance and it would maybe entice some people on the fence to upgrade?

I mean, essentially they could have sold tickets for "preview" days.

Also Volcano Bay is adjacent to a hotel with a huge pool area, and another one nearby. It's Orlando. Not hard to assume APs would flock and people would have swimsuits on hand.

I guess that's true, and I'm just thinking too much like a passholder who lives close enough to go to the parks regularly, but not close enough where I could run home to grab a bathing suit and head back.

Obviously it doesn't matter now because the park is open... haha

I've never been to an american theme park and i've noticed 2 things.
Are the life vests optional for the river or is it a requirement? Because it doesn't really look life threatening fast or something.
And why are so many people wearing T-shirts? i kinda get the flip flot thing because of the hot floor but never really understood the t shirt thing.

This inside of the volcano looks really nice from the Fearless River.... :bolt:

WOW, beautiful. Looks like a Costco.

Are the life vests optional for the river or is it a requirement? (It seems like almost everyone is wearing them)
And why are so many people wearing T-shirts? i kinda get the flip flot thing because of the hot floor but never really understood the t shirt thing.

It can be because the sun is really harsh or people being insecure.

WOW, beautiful. Looks like a Costco.

It can be because the sun is really harsh or people are people being insecure.

I know we have had this debate, and many see Volcano Bay as the next level of waterpark theming... but I don't think it's quite at the Typhoon Lagoon theming level... I mean, their river doesn't hold a candle to Typhoons.. The way Typhoon Lagoon made the channel look natural... Volcano Bay's river is literally high walled, tiled, pool decor-realness.

And I am not trying to be a disney foamer by any means, I really could care less who made the park... but there is a noticeable difference here.

I know we have had this debate, and many see Volcano Bay as the next level of waterpark theming... but I don't think it's quite at the Typhoon Lagoon theming level... I mean, their river doesn't hold a candle to Typhoons.. The way Typhoon Lagoon made the channel look natural... Volcano Bay's river is literally high walled, tiled, pool decor-realness.

And I am not trying to be a disney foamer by any means, I really could care less who made the park... but there is a noticeable difference here.

You can tell it was hastily done. You can see ugly paint lines, tile where it doesn't belong, steal beams. I will take screen grabs from that video to show you guys what I'm talking about.

Are the life vests optional for the river or is it a requirement? Because it doesn't really look life threatening fast or something.
And why are so many people wearing T-shirts?
No- Life jackets aren't required- no clue why so many people wear them.

As for why people wear shirts- some do it for sun reasons- but the vast majority do it because they are overweight. That might be the most striking thing you notice about Americans- how flippin' huge we are as a nation. Couple that with the fact that Americans are inundated with marketing about how attractive everyone is and should be which leads to tremendous insecurity- and viola, T-shirts at water parks.

No- Life jackets aren't required- no clue why so many people wear them.

As for why people wear shirts- some do it for sun reasons- but the vast majority do it because they are overweight. That might be the most striking thing you notice about Americans- how flippin' huge we are as a nation. Couple that with the fact that Americans are inundated with marketing about how attractive everyone is and should be which leads to tremendous insecurity- and viola, T-shirts at water parks.
Pretty much sums it up. It's what happens when for every hour of work I complete at minimum wage I can buy 5 cheeseburgers and still have enough for other expenses.

Last edited: