Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 221 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The correct term would be "placemaking". Which is adding decorative elements that reinforce the theme. And sometimes, as with the pretty tile work along the lazy river, it's simply decorative and doesn't reinforce the theme.

But it is common for lay fans to refer to these placemaking decorative elements as "theming" since they reinforce the theme. It's just easier and most people know what they are talking about.

I'd compare it to the whole footings vs. footers debate. While footing might be the correct term, footer is what a lot of people call them. It's to the point where many people in the industry call them that. As long as everyone knows what you are talking about, I don't see the problem. Only the purists get bent out of shape about it.

I'd compare it to the whole footings vs. footers debate. While footing might be the correct term, footer is what a lot of people call them. It's to the point where many people in the industry call them that. As long as everyone knows what you are talking about, I don't see the problem. Only the purists get bent out of shape about it.

But is there a fundamental difference in what people think of a footer or a footing based on what you call it?

Between "theming" and "placemaking" people end up with incorrect ideas about theme. Theme is not place, period, genre, etc... but because of the way the term theming has weaseled its way into the lexicon people associate "decorative elements which equate XYZ (period, place, genre, etc..)" that theme is as simple as that.

Which is a gross misunderstanding of the artform and reduces it to SoS and the idea that you spackle on "theming" to create a true theme park.

Think of it this way. Theme exists in many forms of expression/communication, but literature is one of the most easily accessible.

Now imagine if someone was writing a book and there was a suggestion they were 'theming it' by adding plotlines and foreshadowing and even verbs and adjectives!

That's patently absurd and misunderstands what it means.

Yeah. I don't agree with anything you just said.

Theming refers to "the use of an overarching theme...to create a holistic and integrated spatial organization of a consumer venue."[1] It is also the subject of discourse, discussion, meditation and composition.[2] In an overall sense, theming can be categorized under either experience; what an individual sees and feels in their current ‘themed environment’ or décor; which is utilized to make an individual remember something through the portrayal of the theme, whether it be generic or specific.

But is there a fundamental difference in what people think of a footer or a footing based on what you call it?

Between "theming" and "placemaking" people end up with incorrect ideas about theme. Theme is not place, period, genre, etc... but because of the way the term theming has weaseled its way into the lexicon people associate "decorative elements which equate XYZ (period, place, genre, etc..)" that theme is as simple as that.

Which is a gross misunderstanding of the artform and reduces it to SoS and the idea that you spackle on "theming" to create a true theme park.

Think of it this way. Theme exists in many forms of expression/communication, but literature is one of the most easily accessible.

Now imagine if someone was writing a book and there was a suggestion they were 'theming it' by adding plotlines and foreshadowing and even verbs and adjectives!

Zzzzzzz.....

You see, for all your lecturing on the subject and the way you seem to think people misinterpret what "themeing" is, you ignore one major fact: our language and definitions of words is constantly changing. Simply because you refuse to see the idea of "theme" any broader than your above discription does not make you right and anyone else wrong. It simply proves how the broad understanding of the the word has changed for most people.

Actually, it is.

We're not equals.

Read above and get off your high horse. No, your opinion isn't better or more than anyone else's. It takes a special kind of narcissist to say something like that to someone you don't know.

The whole premise of the argument is that we're all fans staring in awe at the big wonders of the parks on equal footing as outsiders.

It's not true. My definition is the one I've seen Marty Skylar and Tony Baxter chastise people over and as taught to me originally over a decade ago by Eddie Sotto as a mentor.

Our depth of knowledge and experience is not the same, our opinions do not hold equal footing.

Status
Not open for further replies.