Universal Studios Japan General Discussion | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
JP,BTTF,JAWS, and Potter all in one park. What more could you ask for?
Backdraft, Spider-Man, T2, Waterworld, Beetlejuice... Need I go on???

And if anyone can point me to the emailaddress of guest services at Universal Studios Japan, it will be appreciated. I can't find it on the site. Have tried to send English emails to privacy@usj.co.jp, info@usj.co.jp, guestservices@usj.co.jp, but no one replies... :-(

And on facebook I can't send them a message.
I had an extremely tough time to the point where I just gave up trying to get ahold of Japan over the phone or email in 2012.  It may not happen.

I walked into Guest Relations when I visited the park and although they spoke some English, they weren't very accommodating in terms of special treatment.  I stayed at the Universal Port hotel.  Very small walk from the train station at Citywalk and only a one block walk to the park!  My room had a view of the park and it was like I was 10 years old again looking from afar to an all new Universal experience I had never experienced before.  It was a vacation of a lifetime!

I hope you are not afraid of trains.  Their system is beyond imagination and massive.  Extremely easy to get lost if you do not do your homework.  I can give you all the info I know if you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thumb_10528021_10152226801643341_1045290830_n.jpg

Well, this could have been a spectacular shot.

What is with Universal and not hiding the FJ show building?  You would think they would fix the mistakes from the Orlando version.

Reactions: JaySalahi
thumb_10528021_10152226801643341_1045290830_n.jpg

Well, this could have been a spectacular shot.

What is with Universal and not hiding the FJ show building?  You would think they would fix the mistakes from the Orlando version.
However this view from the lake is not possible from a guests perspective.  The building is covered when viewed from Hogsmead.  However, Hollywood is going to have more of the building exposed from the Studio Tour Plaza than any other iteration of FJ.

However this view from the lake is not possible from a guests perspective.  The building is covered when viewed from Hogsmead.  However, Hollywood is going to have more of the building exposed from the Studio Tour Plaza than any other iteration of FJ.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/adGuCcnI6kk?feature=oembed

Exposed show building while inside the land. (1:25)

Just like at IOA, it sticks out like a soar thumb.   Really thought Universal would fix this.

Ridiculously disappointed by this. Like...damn it Universal....you're making a fortune off of Potter. Cover the show building as much as possible! Throw some more money at the project and add more tall trees, more rock work, or for the rest of the show building, PAINT it like the rock work to at least have it blend in...

It's gonna be even worse at USH and I'm honestly bummed out about it. Yes, it'll look amazing while in the land, but the second you walk towards the Studio Tour, the entire illusion is broken and Hogwarts looks lame.

I wish they would have completed the Castle. While grand in person the Hogwarts in Wizarding World always felt off with a chunk of it missing(and of course the exposed show building). Most people don't notice it but It's a small thing that has always bugged me. 

14708438283_6a936c12c0_b.jpg

Yeah, it would obviously be nice to have the whole castle or at least more of it, but I can COMPLETELY forgive that if they would at least cover up the exposed show building completely FOR ONCE. Paint giant rock/cliff-like murals on any exposed surfaces. Would be pretty and cheaper than more rock work and would blend in more.

Reactions: Aaron
I agree that it is a shame that the backside of the building isn't themed, but at the end of the day, is it really worth it to bump up the cost of an attraction simply so less than 5% of guests will notice the extra effort?

Some will say yes, others no. Some additional trees would be nice, but hey, what can you do? Disney does the same thing time to time, so it's not like Universal's the biggest offender here.

Having said that, if any Universal park could pull off theming the entire building - it'd be Japan. I'm a bit surprised they left it in its current state.

^ For an ultra proven cash cow like Potter, it's absolutely worth it to try to almost fully cover or theme the show building. Or at least find a cheaper but still themed way to cover it, like painting a cliff side/fake rock work on the sides of the building.

Disney almost never doesn't completely theme something, unless it's seen from the outside of the park, and even then, they try to disguise and camouflage it. The Indiana Jones show building was recently fully camouflaged on the side facing the trams, and Radiator Springs Racers' backside of the rock work facing the outside of the park was also partially themed/camouflaged. So there's definitely cheap ways to disguise the FJ show building in better ways than nothing at all. Especially for something as popular and financially successful as Potter.

In Orlando it's probably not THAT noticeable but in Hollywood, it'll be a bigger problem and everyone who crosses the Studio Tour bridge will notice.

In Orlando it's probably not THAT noticeable but in Hollywood, it'll be a bigger problem and everyone who crosses the Studio Tour bridge will notice.
Honestly, I think a lot of Hollywood guests will shrug at the exposed backside. Orlando and Japan might be a different story because of their comprehensive theming (well, at least for USJ and IOA), but Hollywood has that studio theme engrained in its soul - so much so that guests probably won't be too shocked.

After all, then you have the issue of explaining why Hogwarts Castle is right next to the Studio Tour. Opens up a can of worms, I'm guessing.

^ But since USH is trying to move away from that notion and has even officially stated that, it'd be nice if they went full hog and all the way from every corner instead of just a few. Diagon Alley succeeds in that department more than Hogs mead even!

That will probably increase the budget for the facade considerably for such a small payoff. I get your point, but you're talking about going from theming two minor sides of the facade to all four - and them some.

This link has some great aerial views of Osaka's Potter: http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/park/universal-studios-japan/

It distinctly shows off just how tiny Hogwarts Castle is in comparison to its show-building. Hollywood will have an in-land advantage, however they don't necessarily have to cover up the show building. All they have to do is wisely disguise the berm around it, but I have a feeling that won't happen. But y'know, not many are going to care and let's be totally honest here: that isn't going to be ST loading/Area 2 forever.

Reactions: Jonathan
Backdraft, Spider-Man, T2, Waterworld, Beetlejuice... Need I go on???

I had an extremely tough time to the point where I just gave up trying to get ahold of Japan over the phone or email in 2012.  It may not happen.

I walked into Guest Relations when I visited the park and although they spoke some English, they weren't very accommodating in terms of special treatment.  I stayed at the Universal Port hotel.  Very small walk from the train station at Citywalk and only a one block walk to the park!  My room had a view of the park and it was like I was 10 years old again looking from afar to an all new Universal experience I had never experienced before.  It was a vacation of a lifetime!

I hope you are not afraid of trains.  Their system is beyond imagination and massive.  Extremely easy to get lost if you do not do your homework.  I can give you all the info I know if you want it.
You wouldn't believe if I told you I just received an email from Universal Studios Japan. They said T23D wouldn't be closed in that period, except if there was bad weather. Fingers crossed.

They didn't do any special treatments (I asked them for my Terminator fandocumentaries), though ofcourse that will not stop me filming there and at least trying. ;-)

I'm indeed having troubles with their system for transportation for trains, metro, subway. It's indeed very big. If I was just 1 company that has the metro etc. but it all different companies which makes it complicated. It's not like going to New York and buying a metro pass for a week and you can use it on a lot of metro's etc. No Japan has private metro lines, the JR lines, then the normal lines.  Argh, it's driving me crazy.

Why would T2 close during bad weather?  Lightning, maybe?

Good for you to get an email.  Let's find some time to talk on Skype.  I'll try to help with the train system.

Seeing the pictures of Japan and the showbulding... I think it's impossible to dress the showbuilding or disguise it with something. The showbuilding is massive and rock work would seem odd, like a gigantic wall of rocks to disguise the showbuilding would look ugly and weird. I am trying to think some way around it but I can't... painting something wouldn't cut it... and if trees was the solution they have to be extremely tall trees, I mean the showbuilding is massive. Maybe the walls facing the street can be painted blue or themed to advertise  Wizarding World, like a big billboard if you will, since no one inside the park would be able to see it. But the wall inside the park I can't think of a way to disguise it. I think no other theme park has this problems because no other theme park has a showbuilding as massive as this.