Universal Studios Hollywood Announces Expansion & Vision Plan Details!!! | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Hollywood Announces Expansion & Vision Plan Details!!!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Allen The Actor

Allen The Actor
Jan 10, 2013
Hill Valley, California
"Universal Studios Hollywood Announces Theme Park Expansion Details"

Universal City, CA —

Universal Studios Hollywood announced the much-anticipated first set of details regarding the theme park and studio's multi year, billion dollar expansion plan known as the NBCUniversal Vision Plan. The expansion will help bring thousands of jobs to San Fernando Valley workers. It is also expected to help Universal further compete in the Southern California theme park market, which is currently dominated by the Walt Disney Company's Disneyland Resort in Anaheim (which is also expected to green light yet another expansion in a few years). After much back and forth with the city of Los Angeles, the expansion plan has received it's green light.

Thomas Williams, Chairman & CEO of Universal Studios, was on hand to help announce the details at the late night press conference packed with journalists inside the Gibson Amphitheatre, alongside Larry Kurzweil, President and Chief Operating Officer of Universal Studios Hollywood, and Mark Woodbury, President of Universal Creative

In addition to next year's opening of "Despicable Me Minion Mayhem,” a 3D Ultra-HD movie motion-simulator adventure, Universal will also be opening a replica of Universal Orlando's extremely succesful "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter®" area within two years, replacing the Gibson Amphitheatre, Shrek 4D®, The Adventures of Curious George®,as well as some currently unused land by the Studio Backlot Tour.

"It will be just as grand and just as magical as the original in Florida", mentioned Mark Woodbury. "J.K. Rowling's magical world and Warner Brothers Pictures' extraordinary vision will come to life yet again, this time in Hollywood. You'll be able to tour the whimsical Hogsmeade Village® and its shops, ride Flight of the Hippogriff® past Hagrid's Hut, and finally tour the towering and grand Hogwarts® castle before you go on the most thrilling ride on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey®." After questioning, both Woodbury and Kurzweil confirmed that the Hollywood version will not get a copy of the dual inverted coasters from Orlando known as Dragon Challenge® due to obvious space limitations.

In addition, the Studio Tour will be receiving a few attractions along the tram's route on the scale of the park's recent success King Kong 360-3D®. The theme of the attractions will be based on the Fast and Furious® movie series and its upcoming sequels, the upcoming Van Helsing® reboot, Jurassic Park 4®, and a yet-to-be-announced animated movie series by Illumination Entertainment®. Woodbury noted that only a few of the upcoming tour attractions will be in 3D.

In the center of the theme park, Universal is planning to open a new central "hub" area that's currently under constriction, and will be known as "Universal Park Plaza", which will feature a grassy park area, shade & seating, small dining and merchandise area, kid's play fountain area, and a new iconic statue in honor of the studio's founder, Carl Laemmle. It will also play host to character meet & greets, various shows, as well as seasonal events. Expected opening is August of this year.

On the park's upper lot, Universal announced that they will be closing The Simpsons Ride® simulator at the end of the year and will create a new family friendly mega-attraction by 2015, themed to "Universal's expansive library of classic Universal Blockbuster Movies" Mark Woodbury stated, with no further details as of now. When questioned as to why The Simpsons Ride® was closing relatively soon (it just opened in 2008), Kurzweil simply stated that the attraction doesn't have the same popularity and draw as its Orlando counterpart, or its Back To The Future® themed predecessor.

Closer to the park entrance, Universal will be opening a new interactive Movie History museum walk-through attraction, expanding the concept featured in its current "Universal Experience" exhibit located at the park's Lower Lot.

"Guests will walk through the museum and see both recreations and actual sets from various Universal Pictures movies, in addition to props, costumes, and exciting trivia. As guests enter the museum, they'll be handed a special new hand held RFID enabled device, themed to a movie clapper board, which will help guests interact with various props and pieces, as well as play some trivia games.", said Woodbury. No mention on whether or not the current exhibit will stay open, but the new one is expected to open by late 2014, replacing a few merchandise locations.

In addition, Universal will be closing it's haunted walkthrough called "House of Horrors®" by next year, but will cary over the scary theme by building a new attraction based on it's library of classic horror movie monsters in its place. "Monster Mania® will be one of the most ambitious and exhilarating rides that Universal Creative has ever worked on. You will get to be part of a paranormal archeological group that sets out to find proof of monsters that previously existed, but will instead be transported into a world where they're all alive and thriving...and after you! It will be a thrilling, scary and in your face adventure through various Universal Monster® movies. The ride will be brought to life using larger than life sets, wrap around screens, animated figures and effects" said Woodbury, who also mentioned that the ride technology will be a combination of the "Forbidden Journey" Kuka Robotics® system, as well as the overhead ride system of the park's old ET Adventure® ride. The new ride is expected to open by late 2015.

Current shows Waterworld® and Animal Actors are expected to remain open, but will be updated (and in the case of Animal Actors, the show will receive a new Dr. Suess theme). The "Special Effects Stage" show, however, will be replaced with a condensed version of Wicked® A New Musical, to coincide with the movie version, which is expected to open in theatres in 2016.

On the Lower Lot, Jurassic Park River Adventure® and Revenge of the Mummy The Ride® will remain, but be updated, and in the case of the Mummy attraction, expanded to coincide with the reboot of the Mummy series. Woodbury mentioned that a Jurassic Park themed children's attraction will replace one of the restaurants and shops that are nearby, but did not discuss details.

In addition to the new rides and attractions, Universal Studios Hollywood® will be celebrating it's 50th Anniversary in 2014 and will have many new character street shows and games, new video and stunt segments on the Studio Tour, "easter egg" tributes to previous rides and shows around the park, as well as a new nightly water and pyrotechnic show in the Waterworld® arena.

The only discussed detail regarding one of the planned hotels is that it will be a tower hotel and feature Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, Betty Boop/Marilyn Monroe, Mummy and Despicable Me-themed family rooms

Final details regarding planned backlot and studio facility upgrades, the new hotels, construction time frame and financial information will be announced at a later press conference. This will be the largest expansion project in the Studio and Park's history.

Universal Parks and Resorts is the theme park division of NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast. The division is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the various Universal Studios resort properties around the world. Its theme parks in Japan and Orlando, Florida also are currently undergoing massive expansion projects.The division is headquartered in Orlando, Florida, United States.

www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com

www.UniversalStudios.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jon Fu
Yay they're closing Simpsons! I'm curious to see how they'll update the mummy and that monster mania sounds interesting.

The only question is.... Who told you as it's most likely a source. if it's real then i would be excitied but for now. who told you the rides, and all of what it said?

One thing I don't find believable the show for the 50 th anniversary in water world arena I wont believe that till I see it

It actually sounds pretty simple. They just need to install the water fountains and effects foundation under the water on a rising platform like the the fountain show in Orlando, and like DCA's World of Color. During the day, waterworld plays, and at night they raise the platform for the anniversary show.

I'll be honest Allen, you had me waking up today screaming my head off thinking we'd miss a big story like this.

Here's a hint everyone: Universal never holds press events late at night on a weekend for the theme park.

Good show Allen. You had me reading this with open eyes this morning.

I sincerely wish that a ride like Monster Mania would replace House of Horrors. How epic would that be?

Also, what's your opinion on using Waterworld's arena to house two different shows? One daily regular Waterworld show and one World of Color type of show twice at night? I think that'd be so cool! Very expensive but technically if they cut back on two Waterworld shows and show a actor-less World of Color type of show with less pyrotechnics, they'd save some money!

I'll be honest Allen, you had me waking up today screaming my head off thinking we'd miss a big story like this.

Here's a hint everyone: Universal never holds press events late at night on a weekend for the theme park.

Good show Allen. You had me reading this with open eyes this morning.
Didn't catch that haha it actually had me going

I'll admit you had me tricked for about the first half of the "article".  How I wish all of this were true though!  A Monster-themed dark ride would be amazing!

Reactions: Allen The Actor