Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 119 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Fixing up or tearing out?

Fixing
DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0066.jpg

I'm so confused. The Potter bridge is only a few feet above the access walkway to the dock. There's no way to get to it - not even a backstage route.

I guess if they merely wanted to stage things there they could - having the techs climb off the Potter bridge to get to it. But for guests you'd have to redo the Potter bridge.

Reactions: tankart150
Could it be for the projection show in some way? I know there are tons of trees there, so I doubt it...but I saw some flood type lights down there (but one was facing down, so I doubt they were used for anything)

Wow how did I missed this yesterday? That area has become a great example of what happens to theme park landscaping when you turn your back on it.

So what are they up to and why? Such a great mystery!

I’ve been thinking about this all day. I suppose it is possible that they are mucking around with electrical that is relative to the projection show. They might also have projection mapping on to the backside of the buildings of Hogsmeade.
Pretty much a given that the bypass bridge will be open for viewing?

Wow how did I missed this yesterday? That area has become a great example of what happens to theme park landscaping when you turn your back on it.

So what are they up to and why? Such a great mystery!

That's not this area that I took a pick of last month is it?

201709_doc_IMG_2294 by Peter Bierman, on Flickr

201709_doc_IMG_2310 by Peter Bierman, on Flickr

these lights point away from the castle (and there is a big tree line between this and the castle)

Reactions: JoeCamel
Reactions: Andysol
But it is roughly equivalent to the spot where USJ launches Dementor drone puppets for their castle show. Maybe spotlights for a flying Patronus or similar effect for IOA?

The lights I saw are not there in the pic @Jwhee took a couple of weeks after I was there. I honestly thought the lights I saw were just fill lights, one was on (in the day time) and one was just pointed sort of down. Maybe they were just testing electricity or something. But they were pointed more in the direction of LC, so I thought it was just some equipment that wasn't really used...heck, maybe they worked at night clearing the dock and putting that derbies catching stuff in the water, so maybe they were using them as work lights.

I would imagine they are cleaning the area up for the castle show, but I did not know they use Drones and it would make a lot of sense to launch them from there if they do (between the water and the trees, they could use them w/o ever being over people).

I was just hoping they were not putting a projector there as it would mean losing more tree lines (in my opinion), but, if they cleared more trees, I imagine they could use the bypass bridge for viewing, but that sort of pushes the Wizard's World more into LC (sight lines wise), but hey, it intrudes into JP as is

Reactions: Andysol
So, they have removed the bushes overhanging the dock, removed the railings and netting and basically cleaned everything up. As there is so much going on with Potter right now we can only assume that this is for that. Blah...

BTW, have they ever sold the glow-tip wands that they passed out for the grand opening?

Oh yeah, I think the use of drones is stupid and nothing but a trendy gimmick. That, and they make a racket much like a dentist deep drilling your teeth...

Last edited: