Universal Great Britain | Page 61 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah I know about the main entrance off the A421. Just thinking how they will incorporate Manor Road as it’s a bit too small scale atm for a major park.
Whilst it’s not detailed, development is mentioned and with the need to shuttle guests from Wixams I think it’s a given.

An upgraded Manor Road, to tie in with new railway bridge being delivered by Network Rail to replace the Manor Road level crossing’

Reactions: Chessy and Alicia
Local BBC article with residents views here..

There was one NIMBY type in there and even then it wasn't a full-on NIMBY, he just doesn't want a giant rollercoaster outside his kitchen window but he's not against the Park on a whole. I expect such problems won;t arise, as the actual Park is on the opposite side of the land compared to stewartby, so it won't be such an eyesore for Stewartby residents.

I am still puzzled as to why they are building the park on the south part when the northern part is much further away from residential.

The Southern parcel of land is much easier to work with, it also has a regular shape and so you can build your park in many more ways than the Northern parcel. I also think it's because they can acquire the land adjacent to the southern parcel that will make connecting it to the A421 so much easier.

The northern parcel has a very large amount of restoration area, which also shapes the workable land in that parcel in a very peculiar way. So by working the southern parcel first they both have a more traditionally shaped park with better access to transport links but they can see how the Park does with attendance first before moving onto the northern parcel.

I am still puzzled as to why they are building the park on the south part when the northern part is much further away from residential.
Many reasons but for starters awkward layout, the core zone is ideal for starting the resort and the lake zone for expansion.

Although I was expecting the core zone to be flipped so the TH and CP are in the middle of the resort.

IMG_6817.jpeg

Last edited:
The Southern parcel of land is much easier to work with, it also has a regular shape and so you can build your park in many more ways than the Northern parcel. I also think it's because they can acquire the land adjacent to the southern parcel that will make connecting it to the A421 so much easier.

The northern parcel has a very large amount of restoration area, which also shapes the workable land in that parcel in a very peculiar way. So by working the southern parcel first they both have a more traditionally shaped park with better access to transport links but they can see how the Park does with attendance first before moving onto the northern parcel.
Don't forget there is also a BIG car park between Stewartby and City Walk/the park, so those houses at the northern side of the village shouldn't get much as far as noise pollution goes.

Reactions: Nico and xtpower
There was one NIMBY type in there and even then it wasn't a full-on NIMBY, he just doesn't want a giant rollercoaster outside his kitchen window but he's not against the Park on a whole. I expect such problems won;t arise, as the actual Park is on the opposite side of the land compared to stewartby, so it won't be such an eyesore for Stewartby residents.
Man doesn't want to see rollercoaster in his backyard that enjoyed visiting Universal Orlando and Hollywood :lmao:

If anything property prices would increase somewhat

Reactions: yepthatguy
Man doesn't want to see rollercoaster in his backyard that enjoyed visiting Universal Orlando and Hollywood :lmao:
there are a lot of things I've enjoyed doing in vacation that I don't necessarily want in my backyard.

I understand this is literally NIMBYism but it's not spiritually NIMBYism. my man bought a house far(ish) away from a major city, presumably because that's where he wanted to live. I don't fault anyone for not wanting their whole deal disrupted because Comcast decided to build a theme park where they live.

Reactions: Nico
there are a lot of things I've enjoyed doing in vacation that I don't necessarily want in my backyard.

I understand this is literally NIMBYism but it's not spiritually NIMBYism. my man bought a house far(ish) away from a major city, presumably because that's where he wanted to live. I don't fault anyone for not wanting their whole deal disrupted because Comcast decided to build a theme park where they live.
Yeah get where he is coming from, similar to how I enjoy visiting major cities like London or NYC. But living in them is not for me.

Reactions: Nico and Jake S

This is a completely understandable point and one I'll not begrudge someone. But I think of all the companies to come in and build a park Universal seems the best possible, they won't install a gigantic car-park rollercoaster that is a complete eyesore without considersation for the local community. They'll try their utter most in making any Coaster and high structure look both appealing and fit within the framework of the park.

As it is, I find it hard to think of a better area for a Universal Park, there's no major place of historical note that the locals would vehemently try to protect from being ruined by eyesores and the like. It is also a area that is wanting investment and infrastructure improvements and the plots themselves are about as isolated from major population centres as you can get without being in the middle of nowhere.

So yea, some who may have moved to the area for the quiet and whatnot will be inconvenienced but the Brickworks weren't demolished until 2021 so those who speak about seeing a Coaster through their kitchen window (unless they moved in the last 2 years) still moved to the area when there were giant brickworks chimneys dominating the skyline (except those who have lived there their whole lives).

*edit* My last paragraph feels a bit harsh on the guy who has a right to complain, so apologies for that, was difficult to articulate my thoughts.

Reactions: Chessy and Jake S
I'm not making any argument about whether the project should or should not go ahead (selfishly, as someone who lives a continent away, it sounds great for me!), just want to push back on the idea that people in the community can't have concerns about the project.

I'm not making any argument about whether the project should or should not go ahead (selfishly, as someone who lives a continent away, it sounds great for me!), just want to push back on the idea that people in the community can't have concerns about the project.

Let's be honest the NIMBY level I've seen so far is so small that it barely even registers on the ricter level for NIMBYness. I've seen a few comments that are genuine worries about legitimate infrastructure concerns (like sewage, construction traffic at Ampthill etc etc) and they were all addressed or will be adequately addressed in the future.

The sheer lack of negative parties has kinda made comments like the coaster in the kitchen window seem a bit petty, it is not but without anything to contrast it with it felt like that. Which is kinda a first for me, I've never seen such widespread openness and positivity for such a huge project in the UK.

Universal have asked for ideas on how to celebrate local history in their designs for the new resort, if it goes ahead. Plenty of people have focused on the brickworks - it would be nice to see some of the original bricks used in the construction of a Toothsome's Brickworks & Chocolate Emporium, for example.

One little observed fact, if local history is of interest, is that a certain Second Lieutenant JRR Tolkien did his basic training in Bedford (possibly at Kempston Barracks) when he was first commissioned as an officer during World War One. Adds a very local detail to the frequently observed fact that Middle-Earth was created just 60 miles away from Bedford. Just saying...

Last edited:
Universal have asked for ideas on how to celebrate local history in their designs for the new resort, if it goes ahead. Plenty of people have focused on the brickworks - it would be nice to see some of the original bricks used in the construction of a Toothsome's Brickworks & Chocolate Emporium, for example.

One little observed fact, if local history is of interest, is that a certain Second Lieutenant JRR Tolkien did his basic training in Bedford (possibly at Kempston Barracks) when he was first commissioned as an officer during World War One. Adds a very local detail to the frequently observed fact that Middle-Earth was created just 60 miles away from Bedford. Just saying...
Charles Wells Brewery Go-Karting Experience

Reactions: yepthatguy
I can see them focussing on the brickworks to incorporate the local history. Reusing the bricks in some of the buildings yes, possibly a tasteful monument/plaque commemorating it?

If Universal do commit to a Middle Earth land in the new park (top of my wish list) I think they'd have to find an actor to create a Gandalf character in any ride they create. This chap might be suitable.

Reactions: Altonsky
Let's be honest the NIMBY level I've seen so far is so small that it barely even registers on the ricter level for NIMBYness. I've seen a few comments that are genuine worries about legitimate infrastructure concerns (like sewage, construction traffic at Ampthill etc etc) and they were all addressed or will be adequately addressed in the future.

The sheer lack of negative parties has kinda made comments like the coaster in the kitchen window seem a bit petty, it is not but without anything to contrast it with it felt like that. Which is kinda a first for me, I've never seen such widespread openness and positivity for such a huge project in the UK.
I have also noted the distinct lack of any real NIMBYism. No angry letters in the local papers, no angry petitions etc. I remember when Center Parcs were consulting on building their site only a mile or two away, and the uproar that created at the time. There has been nothing like that this time, on what is a much larger project. To be fair, this site would have had warehousing all over it if not a theme park, I know which I would prefer.