Universal Great Britain | Page 63 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Don't ticket prices for Merlin's parks start under $50? They're not trying to be Universal and I don't think it'd be good for customers if they were.
Yeah they’re cheap to enter and 241s are common place all year round. I don’t know anyone who’s ever paid full price.

Alton Towers is around £30 ish to get in which is what 40/45 dollars?

Don't ticket prices for Merlin's parks start under $50? They're not trying to be Universal and I don't think it'd be good for customers if they were.
Yeah roughly about that much. Even so they could try a little harder with some of their attractions, I know AT opening times are 10am-4pm on Monday to Fridays which is very short. Most likely down to it's unusual location.

Yeah roughly about that much. Even so they could try a little harder with some of their attractions, I know AT opening times are 10am-4pm on Monday to Fridays which is very short. Most likely down to it's unusual location.
That’s off peak hours and even now they are opening later and doing more Alton after dark events etc.

When I used to work there as a ride host in 2010 7pm ride closes were common place during the summer time. That’s also the last time they ever hit 3 million visitors per year, they’ve never reached those highs since.

Getting to the park via public transport was easier back in those days though, for staff and guests alike. Not so easy anymore.

Although they have a new general manager now and she seems decent so it does look like it’s getting better, or will do.

If think the point being raised is the fact that these attractions are as good as it gets in the UK. Ok, there may be similarly poorly themed and ran parks in the US, but there's a hell of a lot of world class ones, which the UK just doesn't have.

Hyperia has been such a let down, as with everything Merlin, the project has been budget cut left, right and centre. Viewing plaza has been cut, cattle pen fencing, base train models, a 30 second ride for an expected 4 hour queue on peak days.... and no theming apart from some gold paint.

Merlin just never do anything special, they always go for the cheapest option possible which is why the UK really needs this project to go ahead. We need a park that won't cut quality for the sake of saving a few $$, a park that actually tries to be innovative and immersive and world class... not something that looks like a couple of lads from the pub have thrown together in a few days and called it good enough, which is the feeling Merlin always give off. So yes, Merlin may charge under $50 a ticket, but I still always manage to feel ripped off.

I agree and tbh I’m not expecting universal or Disney quality attractions. They should however be Europa or Phantasialand quality.

But Merlin are no longer beholden to shareholders, the ability to improve is there.

We’re all going to win if universal gives the go ahead which it looks like they are.

I’ve lived 20 minutes from Thorpe Park for more than 30 years, and only visited twice in that time. Just have no interest in spending time there. But I’ve visited Disneyland Paris 20+ times and Orlando a dozen times. Hopefully I’ll be an annual pass holder at Universal GB, living an hour away. I don’t think the Merlin attractions (perhaps with the exception of Alton Towers) compete in the same market as Universal and Disney.

Reactions: xtpower
If think the point being raised is the fact that these attractions are as good as it gets in the UK. Ok, there may be similarly poorly themed and ran parks in the US, but there's a hell of a lot of world class ones, which the UK just doesn't have.

Hyperia has been such a let down, as with everything Merlin, the project has been budget cut left, right and centre. Viewing plaza has been cut, cattle pen fencing, base train models, a 30 second ride for an expected 4 hour queue on peak days.... and no theming apart from some gold paint.

Merlin just never do anything special, they always go for the cheapest option possible which is why the UK really needs this project to go ahead. We need a park that won't cut quality for the sake of saving a few $$, a park that actually tries to be innovative and immersive and world class... not something that looks like a couple of lads from the pub have thrown together in a few days and called it good enough, which is the feeling Merlin always give off. So yes, Merlin may charge under $50 a ticket, but I still always manage to feel ripped off.

This is exactly it. Alton Towers is often cited as the theming King of the UK Theme Park market and even that feels half-arsed, they go reasonably hard on ride buildings and then just do the bare minimum on the ride queueline. Smiler looks well-themed and yet it still has the cattle-pen ride queue. Then we have the overall level for the park, it's surface level theming, they do a few buildings and then shrug their shoulders and think 'eh? good enough.'

I never truly feel immersed when at Alton Towers, because there's no attention to detail, or they don't put the time and effort into something as mundane as the stores and then you look at what Universal does (and Disney historically) and it's night and day - I've seen Universal stores with more theming than anything Merlin has ever produced.

Reactions: Altonsky
We’re comparing apples and oranges though aren’t we. If you look at The Wickerman at Towers which was their last coaster the theming is up to the standard of other European parks.

It’s take 100 million + to fix the wrongs of bad management over the past 20/25 years.

I expect them to fix it but Rome wasn’t built in a day, and they shouldn’t have let it get to this stage in the first place. But we are where we are.

They’ve now got someone giving them a kick up the arse, that’s a good thing.

Tower’s is my home park, I live locally and it’s where I’ve spent the most time and made the most memories but it’s nowhere near where it should be or has been.

Reactions: havaska and xtpower
I found a YT video that covers the second public consultation. I'm not through it all yet but there's already a few new nuggets of info. The biggest was that Universal had talks with national Rail and the Wixams station will change from a two platform station to a 4 platform one to accomodate the increased need.

Here's the video -

Something I noticed in this video - at the 15 min mark they say 'in fact right now in Orlando we are building a very similar park'

'Very similar' park!!

If Universal UK will be very similar to epic universe that would be amazing. This also means they have definitely already been making plans for the park structure, aesthetic, layout and already have a plan in mind for what it will be like. Although the IPs may differ, it is reasonable to assume we could have a very similar layout then, with a themed hub section and immersive worlds leading off the hub.

Something I noticed in this video - at the 15 min mark they say 'in fact right now in Orlando we are building a very similar park'

'Very similar' park!!

If Universal UK will be very similar to epic universe that would be amazing. This also means they have definitely already been making plans for the park structure, aesthetic, layout and already have a plan in mind for what it will be like. Although the IPs may differ, it is reasonable to assume we could have a very similar layout then, with a themed hub section and immersive worlds leading off the hub.
I’m assuming they mostly mean immersive single IP lands. I would look to Beijing as an example of what we may see for style of lands, but with hub and spoke maybe instead of the Islands of Adventure central lagoon.

Beijing meets Epic. Best version what they’ve done recently.

I will admit I have never been to the parks you are mentioning, but I would never compare six flags to Disney or Universal because the ticket prices are way lower. I can't imagine paying only $50 for tickets, that sounds super cheap. So I for sure wouldn't expect theming at those prices.

Reactions: Altonsky and Jake S
I’m assuming they mostly mean immersive single IP lands. I would look to Beijing as an example of what we may see for style of lands, but with hub and spoke maybe instead of the Islands of Adventure central lagoon.

Beijing meets Epic. Best version what they’ve done recently.
THE Universal goddess just replied to my post omg. Love your videos and podcast!

They will need good IPs to base a whole land on. If there's only 4 lands to start with, like Epic, I really wonder what they will choose. Only 4 IPs doesn't seem a lot. I know it works well for Epic as there's already so much stuff at the other parks. Maybe there will be 5 or 6 lands but a bit smaller.

Reactions: Alicia
THE Universal goddess just replied to my post omg. Love your videos and podcast!

They will need good IPs to base a whole land on. If there's only 4 lands to start with, like Epic, I really wonder what they will choose. Only 4 IPs doesn't seem a lot. I know it works well for Epic as there's already so much stuff at the other parks. Maybe there will be 5 or 6 lands but a bit smaller.
How many lands did Beijing open with? Also, if they name it “Studios” I expect at least one hodgepodge land themed to Hollywood as an excuse to utilize that naming style.

Reactions: BBPH

They will need good IPs to base a whole land on. If there's only 4 lands to start with, like Epic, I really wonder what they will choose. Only 4 IPs doesn't seem a lot. I know it works well for Epic as there's already so much stuff at the other parks. Maybe there will be 5 or 6 lands but a bit smalle

4 IP worlds with an original land is likely to be the perfect opening and ready for future expansion.

You have to think, they need to add to this park multiple times over the next 10 years without removing anything, then we likely have a 6 world park.

I picture a layout reminiscent of Epic, with the hotel over the entrance rather than the back and the worlds pushed back a little.

With the hub being considerably smaller and at least half of it covered.

…I’m all over the place with worlds/ lands

4 IP worlds with an original land is likely to be the perfect opening and ready for future expansion.

You have to think, they need to add to this park multiple times over the next 10 years without removing anything, then we likely have a 6 world park.

I picture a layout reminiscent of Epic, with the hotel over the entrance rather than the back and the worlds pushed back a little.

With the hub being considerably smaller and at least half of it covered.

…I’m all over the place with worlds/ lands
I could see all that.

Reactions: BBPH
How many lands did Beijing open with? Also, if they name it “Studios” I expect at least one hodgepodge land themed to Hollywood as an excuse to utilize that naming style.
I didn't know much about Beijing but google has informed me it opened in 2021 with seven themed lands (for other people's interest who have never been these lands are: Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, Transformers: Metrobase, Minion Land, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Jurassic World Isla Nublar, Hollywood and WaterWorld.) From what I can tell the line up is the same now with no new rides or expansions added yet.

Reactions: Alicia
I didn't know much about Beijing but google has informed me it opened in 2021 with seven themed lands (for other people's interest who have never been these lands are: Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness, Transformers: Metrobase, Minion Land, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Jurassic World Isla Nublar, Hollywood and WaterWorld.) From what I can tell the line up is the same now with no new rides or expansions added yet.

Were suggesting 5 lands, which may seem conservative but I think it’s likely.

Plus waterworld is literally just the show, it’s not really a land.

Were suggesting 5 lands, which may seem conservative but I think it’s likely.

Plus waterworld is literally just the show, it’s not really a land.

Yes seems reasonable. I also think they were stretching it calling Waterworld a land!

US people probably can’t listen to this but the most interesting comment is around the weather.

Page talks about how the weather in the UK is actually good for a resort, as we do don’t have the extremes of heat or cold that you can find at the other resorts.

‘Same amount of rainfall here than in Osaka and Orlando

‘We’ll be prepared with coverings so people are protected from the rain’

‘A lot of indoor rides so people are protected from the elements,

Andy Collins - Why Universal could come to Bedfordshire - Why Universal could come to Bedfordshire - BBC Sounds