Universal Great Britain | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not having Potter in this park would be quite perplexing. I have no idea what % of park guests to UOR are Brits... but it's gotta be 5-10%... and if 500K+ Brits are willing to fly to Orlando for Potter... imagine the popularity in a Universal park closer to home. I don't expect Diagon or Ministry, but I think Hogwarts/Hogsmeade could happen with a different ride system.

I just can't wrap my head around a UK park not having Hogwarts Castle in some form. No Hagrid, no Diagon, no Ministry... but by the time this thing opens in 2030, Hogsmeade at IOA would be 20 years old by then. Anyone who would have wanted to see it would have by then.
I personally think the fact people travel for the studio tour is reason enough to have HP at Uni. You want to capitalize on those people and give them a reason to go to Uni. I think something HP will be there, whether it is a clone or something new, something HP should be in that park.

As a Brit, I'd be more inclined to go to a location that has the Potter locations as they are in the Potter Universe rather than what they were based off. Purely because the Potter locations are fantastical and magical takes of UK locations. Coupled with world class rides, it's just far more attractive to me.

Personally I want them to do Hogwarts Castle and Hogsmeade, those two are the big attractions for me.
I second this, personally I’d like to see Potter as well. Although many Potter locations are inspired by real places, the places in the story are still locations of fantasy and mystery. I think they could explore new locations within the Wizarding World. I don’t think we can write off Potter simply because the UK is home to it.

Reactions: xtpower
I second this, personally I’d like to see Potter as well. Although many Potter locations are inspired by real places, the places in the story are still locations of fantasy and mystery. I think they could explore new locations within the Wizarding World. I don’t think we can write off Potter simply because the UK is home to it.
I’d be beyond shocked if Potter isn’t included in some form. Would be insane if it isn’t tbh.
If they went for Potter at UGB, I wonder what rides they would do to make them unique, Maybe some the updated version of the KUKA ride system being used for the Monsters ride at EU that prioritizes larger practical set pieces over the domed screens on FJ. Or they could go with a ride like The Ministry of Magic at EU. Maybe something totally different as well.

Reactions: ReelJustice
If they went for Potter at UGB, I wonder what rides they would do to make them unique, Maybe some the updated version of the KUKA ride system being used for the Monsters ride at EU that prioritizes larger practical set pieces over the domed screens on FJ. Or they could go with a ride like The Ministry of Magic at EU. Maybe something totally different as well.

I think it has to be a different system, building another FJ that naturally will be better with updated tech feels like exactly what they are trying to avoid.

I'm curious, does the "no clones" mandate only apply to rides? Or does it also apply to restaurants, shows and lands?

EDIT: Just for clarity, I've typed out some of the rides that are exclusive to Non-UOR parks as well as canceled concepts that could feasibly come back.

Non UOR Experiences
Super Silly Fun Land, SLOP, Sing on Tour, Freeze Ray Sliders
Jurassic World, Jurassic World Adventure, Canopy Flyers
Puss in Boots Giant Journey, Far Far Away, Kung Fu Panda Land and Boat Ride, Dreamworks Theater
Transformers Metrobase, Battlestar Galactica (don't think there would be much interest in cloning these outside of China)
Waterworld, Special Effects Show, Lights Camera Action with Steven Spielberg and Zhang Yimou, Space Fantasy, Jaws

Canceled Attractions
2013 Kong New York concept
Lorax trackless ride
SLOP Trackless Ride
Spongebob Boat Ride
"Iron Man" Flying Coaster (Death eaters? Was this system even feasible?)
"Puzzle Theater"
Potter VR

Attractions with Easy "Clones"
Bourne -> Bond
F&F Hollywood -> London
Any generic unthemed outdoor coaster

EDIT 2: Also apparently Mama Mia is one of the highest grossing movies in Britain, so there's your stage show I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jake S
I actually think a One Act Stage Show that could work is Phantom of the Opera

Debuted in the UK, but still very much Universal and linked to the Universal Monsters, and a fun way to get them into the Park

I actually think a One Act Stage Show that could work is Phantom of the Opera

Debuted in the UK, but still very much Universal and linked to the Universal Monsters, and a fun way to get them into the Park

Phantom in the Opera over here is unanimously associated with the Andrew Lloyd Webber Musical. That and they're still doing the musical in London, I don't see how they'd ever get those rights.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and havaska
There was a Kong coaster planned for Singapore? When was this? I've never heard anything about it.
Yeah, without pivoting the discussion, it was planned as a family coaster for the park and then eventually became the Puss in Boots ride that is there now, since that appealed more to children.

I think if they tackle projects in that way— give a unique experience to an IP already represented in Universal Parks—it would make me (an LA local who hasn’t even been to USO yet) want to hop on a plane and check out the park.

I believe Kung Fu Panda was also a possibility for that. I’ll dig around for the concept art for that and edit this post. Which would also be an interesting project to revive for this park.

Here’s a piece of concept art for it. I think it was around 2012?

*Edited to include Kung Fu Panda concept art*

Attachments

• IMG_6425.jpeg
    IMG_6425.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6427.jpeg
    IMG_6427.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6428.jpeg
    IMG_6428.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
The IP rights are going to be interesting. Merlin seems to have the Dreamworks Animation rights; Parques Reunidos has Nickelodeon rights in most EU countries and Looney Tunes/DC rights in at least Spain. I'm assuming that EU rights don't automatically apply to the UK post-Brexit.

I think the WB Studios Tour and Universal can share Potter pretty easily. WB keeps Diagon Alley and UGB takes Hogsmeade, both have the Great Hall, but in different capacities. Instead of Forbidden Journey, do a Forbidden Forest ride. Definitely need the lake around the castle.

Reactions: yepthatguy
The IP rights are going to be interesting. Merlin seems to have the Dreamworks Animation rights; Parques Reunidos has Nickelodeon rights in most EU countries and Looney Tunes/DC rights in at least Spain. I'm assuming that EU rights don't automatically apply to the UK post-Brexit.

I think the WB Studios Tour and Universal can share Potter pretty easily. WB keeps Diagon Alley and UGB takes Hogsmeade, both have the Great Hall, but in different capacities. Instead of Forbidden Journey, do a Forbidden Forest ride. Definitely need the lake around the castle.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach currently hold the Nickelodeon rights in the UK.

Interestingly, Warner Bros actually lease a huge aircraft hanger 7miles up the road from the proposed UGB site.

They actually film or have filmed quite a lot there. I’ve just been reading up on it.

I also saw that further below the Universal land, another studios is being built called Home Of Production. But nothing to do with UGB I don’t think.

Interestingly, Warner Bros actually lease a huge aircraft hanger 7miles up the road from the proposed UGB site.

They actually film or have filmed quite a lot there. I’ve just been reading up on it.

I also saw that further below the Universal land, another studios is being built called Home Of Production. But nothing to do with UGB I don’t think.

The Cardington hangers are massive, probably the biggest buildings I’ve ever seen - loads of filming there, locals from Shortstown tend to be extras. The second hanger was used for a massive experimental airship which we used to see flying quite often. Crashed a few years back, but I think now back on track - Hybrid Air Vehicles Airlander 10 - Wikipedia

Reactions: yepthatguy
I've recently found a YT channel from an average Brit who travels to Hotel and Resorts around the world and reviews them. He's done a few heavy theming Parks (which pale in comparison to Universal) and he was absolutely wowed by the theming and detail. So I think your average daytripping brit will be bowled over by the standard of theming Universal has.

That channel also led to me to some vlogs for the Florida Parks and man, Universal does not cut corners. Every single shop has the level of theming and detail that tops even the best we have to offer over here.

So yea, there's definitely a market for Universal over here, just the theming and detail alone will draw people, let alone what the rides themselves will draw.

I've recently found a YT channel from an average Brit who travels to Hotel and Resorts around the world and reviews them. He's done a few heavy theming Parks (which pale in comparison to Universal) and he was absolutely wowed by the theming and detail. So I think your average daytripping brit will be bowled over by the standard of theming Universal has.

That channel also led to me to some vlogs for the Florida Parks and man, Universal does not cut corners. Every single shop has the level of theming and detail that tops even the best we have to offer over here.

So yea, there's definitely a market for Universal over here, just the theming and detail alone will draw people, let alone what the rides themselves will draw.
But UGB isn't competing against other US parks...its competing with UK parks but also other parks such as Europa/Elfteing
which arguably are even more themed than any US Disney or Universal park there is.

Although Brits don't go to UOR exclusively for Potter, you cannot have Hogsmesde and Great Hall without completely cannibalising the three Orlando parks. Quite honestly is it worth paying the fee to have any Potter at all if you're not using any tent pole locations from the movies,bwhen if you're going to pay a license fee you could have LOTR or some Paramount IP and essentially put your park on the map as the go to place for that thing. No one here is going to debate the quality of theming work by Universal Creative so maybe we could start thinking a little outside the box in terms of what could get the Universal Potter Treatment that also isn't a clichéd "typical British" thing or all the things their competitors have done a terrible job with this far