Universal Great Britain | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
But UGB isn't competing against other US parks...its competing with UK parks but also other parks such as Europa/Elfteing
which arguably are even more themed than any US Disney or Universal park there is.
I think a Universal or Disney parks kind off stands on it's own. If it is competing to anything it's London as there is a lot to do for a tourist and money to spent.
In the end I think guest from outside the UK will want to go to Universal for the same reason they visit DLP.

Although Brits don't go to UOR exclusively for Potter, you cannot have Hogsmesde and Great Hall without completely cannibalising the three Orlando parks. Quite honestly is it worth paying the fee to have any Potter at all if you're not using any tent pole locations from the movies,bwhen if you're going to pay a license fee you could have LOTR or some Paramount IP and essentially put your park on the map as the go to place for that thing. No one here is going to debate the quality of theming work by Universal Creative so maybe we could start thinking a little outside the box in terms of what could get the Universal Potter Treatment that also isn't a clichéd "typical British" thing or all the things their competitors have done a terrible job with this far

While I agree with what you're saying, a WW land alone would bring a lot of London tourists to the park who otherwise wouldn't come, and it's sales of wands, butterbeer and merch would probably offset the costs of the park in no time

And the way i see it, Potter has become a quintessential Universal offering and it's omission is bound to generate a negative reaction.

While I agree with what you're saying, a WW land alone would bring a lot of London tourists to the park who otherwise wouldn't come, and it's sales of wands, butterbeer and merch would probably offset the costs of the park in no time

And the way i see it, Potter has become a quintessential Universal offering and it's omission is bound to generate a negative reaction.
“Where are the Pirates” Part Deux

I also think this idea that if you put the big Potter areas in the UK it will somehow lessen the want for people to go to the Orlando Parks holds little water. People who travel to Orlando from abroad aren't doing so on the back of Universal and Potter alone, they're doing so for the weather, the beaches, WDW and Universal.

UGB won't stop Brits from doing the Orlando holiday, and it won't stop tourists from other countries from going to Orlando. Much like London as a tourist destination won't harm UGB and vice-versa.

Brits especially will still go to Orlando in droves because it has more than just Hogsmeade/Hogwarts. The weather alone is enough for alot of Brits, the World Class Parks are just the icing on the cake.

Reactions: Calmix
Brits especially will still go to Orlando in droves because it has more than just Hogsmeade/Hogwarts. The weather alone is enough for alot of Brits, the World Class Parks are just the icing on the cake.

I think the climate in Orlando is a big draw for visitors from the UK like you say. On my last trip we noticed quite a few older family members on family trips with kids and grand kids. With the weather being so kind, it’s great for the older generation too.

Talking of climate, this is one of my biggest question marks so far in terms of UGB…The great British weather!

In a strange way I think the landscape, weather and daylight hours could influence which IPs are used. There have been some excellent suggestions in this thread.

For example, why build an outdoor thrill ride if it’s too windy to operate most days? Could they build a huge indoor coaster that runs regardless of weather? Along with dark rides which would also be unaffected.

If guests turned up today where it’s been grey sky, 4-8° and raining with slight wind gusts and went dark at 3:50pm, what would fit with that or could benefit from that ride wise? There must be some!!

Equally if guests arrived mid June where it’s light from 5:30am and only goes dark at 9:30pm at night and is 20-30°, it’s completely different and quite pleasant. You’d almost expect outdoor attractions, as the English summer can be really nice, especially out where the site is. I’d think they would 100% want to make the most of that!!!

So how do they build a park for both the winter and summer, AND use a mix of unique and existing IPs.

Could they make a multi functional park that has seasonal attractions that change? As well as fixed year round attractions? It sounds crazy but that’s all I’ve got.

Reactions: belloq87
I’ve been thinking about it, so I guess I’ll throw out my take on the whole “Using British IP at UGB” debate

My take is I feel a Universal Great Britain should kind of approach i similarly to how Universal Studios Beijing did: IPs and Franchises that aren’t out of place at a Universal Park, but specifically make sense for that location

Transformers, for example, already has a presence in Universal Parks, but giving it a whole land specifically in a Chinese Park makes sense given how popular the Transformers Movies are in China. Same with Kung-Fu Panda, somethingthat isn’t out of place at other parks, but giving it a larger presence in a Chinese Park makes sense given its popularity there and the general setting/premise of the IP being rooted in Chinese Culture

This is why I think LOTR and Bond would play really well here: They’re both big budget Film IPs that would fit in at any other Universal Park, but due to their connections to the UK, make particular sense to include in this Resort

At least, this is all MY two cents on this whole debate

As a Brit, if they went British theming but did so without using famous IP's it would feel very underwhelming. Especially as it's very straightforward to visit famous British landmarks, so why would I visit UGB just to see what I could see every single day?

But if they went with Potter, LOTR and Bond, well that's a whole new ballgame. You'd have the quintessential British themology but it's all fantastical, magical and exciting. It'd scratch that British itch while also being places that you'd be unable to see anywhere else in the British Isles.

But, I think there's a need for Universal to restrain themselves with the British theming and leave a large portion of the Park using famous IP's that aren't 'British'. The UK has an undeniable connection with American culture and the major US IP's are still beloved over here.

Going with Potter and LOTR on one side and then pairing it with Jurassic Park and Nintendo, or IP's of that nature would be far better than just packing the Park with British only IP's.

As a Brit, if they went British theming but did so without using famous IP's it would feel very underwhelming. Especially as it's very straightforward to visit famous British landmarks, so why would I visit UGB just to see what I could see every single day?

But if they went with Potter, LOTR and Bond, well that's a whole new ballgame. You'd have the quintessential British themology but it's all fantastical, magical and exciting. It'd scratch that British itch while also being places that you'd be unable to see anywhere else in the British Isles.

But, I think there's a need for Universal to restrain themselves with the British theming and leave a large portion of the Park using famous IP's that aren't 'British'. The UK has an undeniable connection with American culture and the major US IP's are still beloved over here.

Going with Potter and LOTR on one side and then pairing it with Jurassic Park and Nintendo, or IP's of that nature would be far better than just packing the Park with British only IP's.

I agree.

WW, LOTR and Bond would be amazing combined with the US IPs being popular over here.

Reactions: Mike S and xtpower
I think the climate in Orlando is a big draw for visitors from the UK like you say. On my last trip we noticed quite a few older family members on family trips with kids and grand kids. With the weather being so kind, it’s great for the older generation too.

Talking of climate, this is one of my biggest question marks so far in terms of UGB…The great British weather!

In a strange way I think the landscape, weather and daylight hours could influence which IPs are used. There have been some excellent suggestions in this thread.

For example, why build an outdoor thrill ride if it’s too windy to operate most days? Could they build a huge indoor coaster that runs regardless of weather? Along with dark rides which would also be unaffected.

If guests turned up today where it’s been grey sky, 4-8° and raining with slight wind gusts and went dark at 3:50pm, what would fit with that or could benefit from that ride wise? There must be some!!

Equally if guests arrived mid June where it’s light from 5:30am and only goes dark at 9:30pm at night and is 20-30°, it’s completely different and quite pleasant. You’d almost expect outdoor attractions, as the English summer can be really nice, especially out where the site is. I’d think they would 100% want to make the most of that!!!

So how do they build a park for both the winter and summer, AND use a mix of unique and existing IPs.

Could they make a multi functional park that has seasonal attractions that change? As well as fixed year round attractions? It sounds crazy but that’s all I’ve got.
In regards to climate I’m guessing they would go along the lines of Universal Beijing, as we know that resort has seen snow over the winter before (something that is not frequent in the UK). UGB would have very similar weather to DLP, so if people can go there over the winter they sure can here too.

I know they have the Decepticoaster at Universal Beijing which is outdoors. So I’m guessing they only close it during pretty bad weather. I would guess maybe at least one outdoor coaster, but who knows.

Reactions: yepthatguy

Theres a reason we keep trying to lower expecations of Potter in this park and saying dont expect them to lift any rides/lands from Orlando though, and honestly people arent going to riot if theres no potter when theres the film studios down the road and some potential for other equally as interesting IP they will enjoy.

In regards to climate I’m guessing they would go along the lines of Universal Beijing, as we know that resort has seen snow over the winter before (something that is not frequent in the UK). UGB would have very similar weather to DLP, so if people can go there over the winter they sure can here too.

I know they have the Decepticoaster at Universal Beijing which is outdoors. So I’m guessing they only close it during pretty bad weather. I would guess maybe at least one outdoor coaster, but who knows.
Remember that apart from heavy winds which is relatively rare in this part of the UK, its the axels and wheels being too cold that cause coasters to valley in winter, so im sure there are other things they can do to keep coasters running year round like in station pre heating etc
Let us not forget our lord and savior Paddington…
those films made half a bilion dollars,

The weather is the ultimate reason that brings us to Orlando not potter. or any particular one thing.
its great think about the daylight situation but honestly apart from when to run Fireworks shows, day and night get equal parts love from theme park fans if were honest. I think we can expect A LOT more covered walkways than you would get in most Universal Parks, remember that USF is actually 65% Inside park, where as IOA is ~65% outside park. im not the biggest fan of USF for that aspect of so much inside boxes, but perhaps with a few USB type inside lands and some inside outside rides it can be fairly sheltered for winter months

Reactions: Henny
A friend took this today, it’s wet but still magical :lmao:
View attachment 20338
I went to DLP about 6 years ago at the end of November which meant they’d rolled out the Xmas decorations.

We had a wonderful time even though it was a bit cold and wet. We just wrapped up and came prepared. I’d definitely go back at the same time of year again.

Nice one for the excellent photo.

Reactions: Chessy
Let us not forget our lord and savior Paddington…
and all those Marmalade sandwiches which could give Butterbeer some competition ;)

I would LOVE a line up of Potter, Jurassic, LOTR, Paddington, Minions & a Bond stunt show.

Theres a reason we keep trying to lower expecations of Potter in this park and saying dont expect them to lift any rides/lands from Orlando though, and honestly people arent going to riot if theres no potter when theres the film studios down the road and some potential for other equally as interesting IP they will enjoy.
I think you are understimating the blow back from no Potter in a UK Universal park.

Not putting Potter in this park would be a HUGE mistake IMO. That said, it doesn't appear to be in that leaked concept art which makes me worry.

How would this be any different than the paramount project not having potter and this park not having potter, honestly. . .
Really?
Paramount - zero connection with Potter
Universal - well known connection to Potter from anyone who has ever visited the US parks or knows someone who has been

I've recently found a YT channel from an average Brit who travels to Hotel and Resorts around the world and reviews them. He's done a few heavy theming Parks (which pale in comparison to Universal) and he was absolutely wowed by the theming and detail. So I think your average daytripping brit will be bowled over by the standard of theming Universal has.

That channel also led to me to some vlogs for the Florida Parks and man, Universal does not cut corners. Every single shop has the level of theming and detail that tops even the best we have to offer over here.

So yea, there's definitely a market for Universal over here, just the theming and detail alone will draw people, let alone what the rides themselves will draw.
Walk With Me Tim? If so, I found his content got boring real quick.

I think after Disney's California Adventure, nobody will be making the same mistake again.

Reactions: Jake S and Mad Dog
I think after Disney's California Adventure, nobody will be making the same mistake again.
To play Devil's advocate, I think DCA's original iteration could have been a success had it been a high-quality product. Soarin' is proof that people loved the California theme... but outside of Grizzly Peak, the park was dry in concept/theming.

As for UGB, as long as they avoid mistakes like Fast & Furious, they should be fine.

Reactions: mccgavin