Universal Great Britain | Page 71 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think we'll get no committed comments until Universal gives the project a greenlight.
I'm sure that's correct, although the government has already taken the step of stating (actually, allowing Universal to state) that they will consider a Special Development Order to give approval for construction instead of the local authority processing a planning application in the usual way. From what I can see this is unprecedented for a commercial project of this kind. We know from the local mayor, Tom Wootton, that the government set up a (cross-departmental) task force to respond to Universal's interest within just a few days of being made aware of the proposed development. To me, that seems incredibly speedy for a government response, and it's been stated that ministers from three different departments, including the Chancellor of the Exchequer, have been briefed on the proposal. I think we can say with great confidence that government has responded in the most positive way possible to Universal's overtures.

But before we get carried away we should remember that the politics of this could change very rapidly. Indeed, there are some rumours that the Prime Minister might tomorrow announce a general election, which would mean the dissolution of parliament within a week or so and the ministers who had previously been supportive of Universal's proposal all stepping back from their departmental responsibilities and switching to campaign mode. This is probably unlikely, but we'll definitely have a general election this year and as soon as it is called any work that the government is doing on the Universal proposal would quickly grind to a halt until the next government is in place. Universal are pretty smart about this, so have already been in contact with the Labour Party, including a meeting with Keir Starmer. I'd guess there would be an equally warm welcome from a Labour government, but it's another point at which there is a risk to the project.

Does anyone have any idea, even a guess, as to how much this will cost the UK Government overall? In terms of the infrastructure required for Universal to do their thing?

I would exclude the Black Cat roundabout works, the East West Rail route, and even Wixams station potentially from the government bill, as they are either already happening, will happen, or will be forced to happen, possibly much later than this Universal sponsored timeline.

Does anyone have any idea, even a guess, as to how much this will cost the UK Government overall? In terms of the infrastructure required for Universal to do their thing?

I would exclude the Black Cat roundabout works, the East West Rail route, and even Wixams station potentially from the government bill, as they are either already happening, will happen, or will be forced to happen, possibly much later than this Universal sponsored timeline.
£128.44

But that is just a guess.

It’d mainly be funding for improvements to A421 I’d guess? Improvement of M1 junction and new exit to site itself at Bedford.

Looks like a junction costs you £50m (Brand new £50m motorway junction is Britain's most expensive dead end) so I’d guess £250m all in from gov.

Sorry for linking Daily Mail.

I don't think a lack of government backing will be the issue. If anything, it'll be the opposite. If the cost to the UK tax payer (through required infrastructure spending, tax breaks, and other concessions given out) are too great, then that's the sort of thing that the tabloids will have a field day over, and ultimately could swing public opinion against the project.
Balancing act for sure!

I don't think a lack of government backing will be the issue. If anything, it'll be the opposite. If the cost to the UK tax payer (through required infrastructure spending, tax breaks, and other concessions given out) are too great, then that's the sort of thing that the tabloids will have a field day over, and ultimately could swing public opinion against the project.
Balancing act for sure!

It'd have to be pretty egregious too. There's been nothing like that from the tabloids thus far, they seem to be supportive of the project.

Interested if anyone is able to get a closer look at the South site today - looked like a large black container/thing at the southern extent which would be new (just beyond where the diggers used to be penned up). However, a train went by the in the opposite directions so I only got a glimpse. It could be I lost my bearings and it was the large dark building just south of the site I saw.

Reactions: xtpower
New homework for all of the Forum members-- get Brit Box subscriptions so we brush up on humor and learn to understand some of people's thicker accents in videos.

Actually the Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire accent is pretty much a standard english accent, a bit less snooty than the upper class accent but if you don't have the ear for it, you might confuse us with those Lords and ladies :p.

As for the humour (yea I added a u, I'm one of THOSE englishmen :p) I'm sure you guys will be fine, it's not like we joke exclusively in cockney rhyming slang or anything.

Actually the Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire accent is pretty much a standard english accent, a bit less snooty than the upper class accent but if you don't have the ear for it, you might confuse us with those Lords and ladies :p.

As for the humour (yea I added a u, I'm one of THOSE englishmen :p) I'm sure you guys will be fine, it's not like we joke exclusively in cockney rhyming slang or anything.

I wrote a post and used a non offensive English slang term, and the forum filter must have kicked in and changed it to “Rooster”…!

I was perplexed for a bit to be fair.

Could potentially be for the UK park
Could well be, as they did say at the meeting that the UK park would be "very similar" to epic universe. Maybe it will have a version of celestial park

Edit: Goes against the 'no cloned attractions from Orlando' rule though

Last edited: