Universal Great Britain | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Great Britain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The same insta culture people are jumping on a jet and going to Florida to get those pics and ones in front of the castle. #vibes #creditcarddebt
because the UK park wouldnt have the castle or any other Instagrammable background. its also being assumed that WB would even license any Potter to universal in UK when its literally taken business away from them in watford and London

Last edited:
Reactions: yepthatguy
Yes, but I sincerely doubt having something Potter-related would completely deter visits to UOR. Potter is a gold mine that's given Universal the ability to expand at a rapid pace over the last few years. Claiming that the licensing fees for Potter are no longer worth the price is a questionable statement as they continue to invest in the IP.

They continue to invest in the IP in the parks that already have it as the licensing fee is per park regardless of how many rides they build.

Epic is an outlier as that was designed years ago and even then, that was being designed with the intention that Fantastic Beasts would be a success and has since reverted back to Potter even if it makes the whole Paris area a confusing mess.

It's not about whether they think that it will mess with Orlando or not, they don't want or need Potter in the GB park. Universal also wants to concentrate on its own IPs with less use of external ones.

If it's coming to a choice between Potter or maybe LOTR, I think it's an easy choice, especially when they want an anchor area for this park that's going to make it unique.

They continue to invest in the IP in the parks that already have it as the licensing fee is per park regardless of how many rides they build.

Epic is an outlier as that was designed years ago and even then, that was being designed with the intention that Fantastic Beasts would be a success and has since reverted back to Potter even if it makes the whole Paris area a confusing mess.

It's not about whether they think that it will mess with Orlando or not, they don't want or need Potter in the GB park. Universal also wants to concentrate on its own IPs with less use of external ones.

If it's coming to a choice between Potter or maybe LOTR, I think it's an easy choice, especially when they want an anchor area for this park that's going to make it unique.
Just To Clarify the hagrids ride was it’s own contract with separate additional licensing fees ,,
The total value of the epic universe potter contract will reach over half a billion dollars

Do they need Potter for the park to be a success? No. But that doesn't mean Universal isn't interested in Potter. It's an absolute gold mine and I just can't wrap my head around someone at Comcast not approving this park without some sort of Potter presence lol

I want LOTR, not picking between either of the two. Having both IPs would make a stellar lineup.

Just To Clarify the hagrids ride was it’s own contract with separate additional licensing fees ,,
The total value of the epic universe potter contract will reach over half a billion dollars
Love it when outlets report Epic Universe is being built for only a billion dollars, when apparently the Potter licensing fee alone is half a billion.

Just to point out, we have had other Harry Potter experiences as well as the studio tour in the UK, such as the Forbidden Forest lights walk through experience. It was pretty good even if it was expensive for what it is.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We have the real deal; we don’t need fake theme park castles and streets.

I really don’t think we need a Harry Potter land at a Universal GB.

I would much prefer a Lord of the Rings type experience.

I can understand WB not wanting to license the rights in the UK. As they may be worried it could affect the amount of visitors to the studio tour. However the studio tour and the Wizarding World are different experiences. I think there is room for both as they have their unique selling points, the tour is for going behind the scenes and seeing the real sets. Obviously the Wizarding World is to immerse yourself as if you were really in that place. Depends how much WB wants to charge, if at all.

Don't get me wrong I'm not making this all about Potter, as I know there are many great IP's they could add. Just think it would be a great addition, Expecto Patronum! ;)

Love it when outlets report Epic Universe is being built for only a billion dollars, when apparently the Potter licensing fee alone is half a billion.
So what do we think Nintendo cost? This is a $4-5 billion park if I recall. Add in Dreamworks, original score deals, hotels…

Can anyone confirm the actual size of the land acquired?
I've seen mixed reports, some reports are suggesting around 480 acres and some only 250 acres.

Not sure of the exact number but in the range of 460-480 definitely not 250.
Thought as much... measuring it online I was getting around the 500 range so was a bit confused.

If that's the case, this is the same size as Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Anaheim combined, and the same size as USO... this has the potential to be something very special.

Thought as much... measuring it online I was getting around the 500 range so was a bit confused.

If that's the case, this is the same size as Disney California Adventure and Disneyland Anaheim combined, and the same size as USO... this has the potential to be something very special.

Certainly long term we could be in for something very special.

This is a good thread for possible ideas:

Reactions: Ludus
IP licensing wouldn’t be included in the near 7 billion dollar total cost,
The Nintendo IP is comparatively cheap,
The info you have been dropping is invaluable, and kind of unprecedented. Thanks again.....and keep it coming.
Happy Novak Djokovic GIF by Tennis TV

Can anyone confirm the actual size of the land acquired?
I've seen mixed reports, some reports are suggesting around 480 acres and some only 250 acres.
Sky News reported exactly what Universal told them to say. It’s 480.

The 250 is probably from folks only reporting the single title I was able to prove with documents in my story, rather than taking my word for the ~500, but Universal gave us an official image and statement now saying 480, so we should all stick with that.

Something Potter is going to be at this park. It may not be a clone of anything we have, but SOMETHING will be there. I also expect LOTR (if they get it) to eventually be cloned perhaps to Hollywood first if they can make the room for it. It’s too big to keep in one park and to keep out of the States especially. Would they keep it out of Orlando? Depends how long they want to stick to the plan of uniqueness. Maybe they drop it once it’s clear the park is a success, who knows.

Something Potter is going to be at this park. It may not be a clone of anything we have, but SOMETHING will be there. I also expect LOTR (if they get it) to eventually be cloned perhaps to Hollywood first if they can make the room for it. It’s too big to keep in one park and to keep out of the States especially. Would they keep it out of Orlando? Depends how long they want to stick to the plan of uniqueness. Maybe they drop it once it’s clear the park is a success, who knows.
Not bringing LOTR to one of the EU expansion pads would be a missed opportunity on so many levels. If they could figure it out maybe when LOTR is Brought over to the domestic parks they can have their own unique attractions.

Reactions: Mike S
I've just been past the site on my Thameslink commute - almost light enough now in the morning to see the site (for Americans - England is REALLY far north, like on a level with Calgary but kept warm by the Gulf stream, so in the winter days are very short but in the summer very long). It looks like I'll have a good view at the North end just South of the A421 (I think this is the north end of "lot 2") but more importantly where the train line goes over the B530 which is about half way along the east side. Hoping I'll be able to watch something get built!

Certainly long term we could be in for something very special.

This is a good thread for possible ideas:

Looking back @tommyhawkins thread is really interesting now I understand a bit more about other parks - really helpful!
It's clearly a lot of land - is there a precedent for mixed use of land, e.g. studio space (quite a bit of that round Bedford) on neighbouring lots, or does the corporate structure tend to keep resorts and working space separate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico