Universal Customer Service | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Customer Service

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yup, yup, and yup. There's a rare few team members who have been amazing, and I gave them compliments in guest relations.

Otherwise, customer service has gone down the toilet this year. Grumpy cast members, no energy, no joy, giving lots of attitude and rolling their eyes and talking back and speaking Spanish randomly, worn out, and in general they have been treating the guests as if they're funneling pigs through a slaughterhouse. It hasn't been a friendly atmosphere for a while.

The Studio Tour crew and a few select attraction individuals are exceptions of course.

Otherwise, customer service has gone down the toilet this year. Grumpy cast members, no energy, no joy, giving lots of attitude and rolling their eyes and talking back and speaking Spanish randomly, worn out, and in general they have been treating the guests as if they're funneling pigs through a slaughterhouse. It hasn't been a friendly atmosphere for a while.
What's up with this? Something must have changed behind the scenes for this shift to occur.

I'd guess that it was the pressures of the construction atmosphere and tight spaces, but I don't think that's an excuse even 1%, because

1. Look what Disney did with DCA. That was nuts, and the cast is 90% always amazing. They just need better cast training programs. Customer service is horrible.

2. The bad customer service hasn't just been around the construction, it's literally been everywhere besides the studio tour and a few select cast members at the Mummy and JP.

I don't remember it being this bad. I was always proud of Universal's service. But recently it's disgusting, and it has been the biggest turn off for my family when it comes to visiting the park, and I've let Universal know multiple times. It's unacceptable how many times this year my family has gotten bad service and attitude, which has never happened before.

And oh my gosh, if one more team member talks to me in Spanish, I WILL lose it...

I absolutely agree. One too many times have I seen team members goofing off, being rude, and not making guests feel welcome. Guest Relations could use improvements, too. The team members in Guest Relations are either insanely nice, or insanely stuck up and rude. 

It's HHN season, where turnaround times for employees are stretched beyond their limits and you see managers/supervisors at their breaking points, along with the employees. I've always noticed this.

But yea the Spanish thing... it's fantastic for employees to have a bilingual connection with guests but I've always thought both socially and in front of English speaking guests (when dealing with them), it's extremely rude and condescending at certain, obvious times. Another language should not be treated like a secret code so you can talk behind other's backs in front of them, ESPECIALLY in a service setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's HHN season, where turnaround times for employees are stretched beyond their limits and you see managers/supervisors at their breaking points, along with the employees. I've always noticed this.
The troubling thing is, I've noticed this throughout the summer season. I guess that could be tied over to a high turnover rate as well.

Reactions: Allen The Actor

But yea the Spanish thing... it's fantastic for employees to have a bilingual connection with guests but I've always thought both socially and in front of English speaking guests (when dealing with them), it's extremely rude and condescending at certain, obvious times. Another language should not be treated like a secret code so you can talk behind other's backs in front of them, ESPECIALLY in a service setting.
I've noticed the lack of or drop in quality of customer service the whole year, I doubt it has anything to do with HHN.

And yeah, that's exactly the way I perceived the Spanish thing and I wasn't the only one. It came off exactly the way you just described it, multiple times.

And a bunch of times I've had team members approach me in Spanish or talk to me in Spanish. I'm as white as it gets, but even if I wasnt, they shouldn't be assuming anything based on looks. They should speak ONLY English unless they're approached in Spanish or other language, etc. And multiple, muuuultiple times I've seen blatant "favoritism" based on nationality from team members. I don't condone or appreciate that from anyone...

i hope I'm not seeming harsh. It's just been so blatantly and obviously bad recently, and I've had other family members or friends or out of town guests notice it as well.

It ruins my days more than other guests without deodorant or broken animatronics or the Simpsons ride.

High turnover rate might be a "reason" but that's zero excuse. The park is only gonna get more crowded in the coming years. The customer service should be top notch no matter the crowd levels. If Disney can do it, so can Universal. They need better training and control and monitoring, and I'm sure that starts in management.

Universal and Comcast can add a million more rides to USH but it will be all in vain if the customer service isn't up to par.

Reactions: William
Dang usually it drops off now but it seemed decent when I visited in July. Sad to hear.

As for the nationality thing, it's more of a Los Angeles thing but yes it's very rude and created an uncomfortable environment as a Caucasian, English-speaking employee at times. Before anybody laughs at a seemingly absurd, almost ironic statement like that, I'll tell you that was only within those specific situations.

I've only ever had fun with some of the JP employees. Having conversations with them and such. Most staff at USH seem to be counting down the hours until lunch.

Some JP employees are amazing, but I've had others give me hella attitude before or be clueless about the ride operations beyond counting seats to load the boats.

I agree with the observation that service seems weak lately. Even today after months away, it felt...Well, it felt a little like pulling teeth to get employees to smile.

At the same time, I know how working in a theme park can be. So I try to be extra nice to the staff. That's how I've made so many friends in the park!

The character actors however are, as always, above and beyond their job and wonderful.

Oh yes, I've made some great friends at the park. There are some very high energy and joyful cast members. But it feels ridiculously rare now. It's a very negative atmosphere it seems now.

And yeah, the character actors are absolutely always amazing, sometimes even more so than at Disney. Love them all. Especially the main/original park Lucy. That woman...is just...the best.

Perhaps it's because I've been to Disneyland Resort more often now, but I never remembered it this bad at Universal.

I don't think it's due to a specific incident I've had but rather smaller things that eventually add up when you start thinking about it. I'm not asking for a Disney-level happiness, nor am I even asking for a smile. I'm asking for a competent individual who can do their job, and I've gotten enough incidents where I don't think that's the case.

It's disappointing.

Boom. That's exactly it. They used to have fantastic service, even during crazy periods. I remember during Grinchmas 2008/2009 or so, the park was a sardine can, and EVERYTHING cast member was wonderful. Something happened....

Maybe more of us need to complain to GR?

Reactions: BernardMesa
TF was always either or. I'll admit it would be VERY hard to generate your enthusiasm on a slow day, but when things were going at a 100%, we tried to do our damnedest. Especially in down periods. I know some of have had issues with NEST crew members before, but when we first opened we really felt like putting on a show to impress guests. But of course as time goes on, that energy fades. It's really a team effort when you look at the wide picture.

Yeah, I remember how everyone was super impressed as to how in character the TF team members were when the ride opened, it was fantastic. But then the honeymoon period ended. It's a hit or miss now.

I feel like it needs to start at the management level and in training. Only then will that good customer service completely trickle down.

TF was always either or. I'll admit it would be VERY hard to generate your enthusiasm on a slow day, but when things were going at a 100%, we tried to do our damnedest. Especially in down periods. I know some of have had issues with NEST crew members before, but when we first opened we really felt like putting on a show to impress guests. But of course as time goes on, that energy fades. It's really a team effort when you look at the wide picture.
Transformers has always been fine, but my experiences have mainly been around the service staff at restaurants, the parking booths or the front of the park.

My experiences lie, for the most part, in the Guest Relations lobby itself. For the most part it pertains to me, but there are also times where I've seen Guest Relations members treating other guests quite rudely.

It most definitely has to do with prejudice, whether it be age, race, gender, etc. Every time I enter Guest Relations on a park visit and ask the same question, the team member helping me has a different reaction and tone of voice than the last.

^ Guest Relations is a hit or miss. I avoid it whenever I can, but I usually wind up in there because of annual pass issues.

Same goes for their online ticketing store. It's a mess.