Universal Customer Service | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Customer Service

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The customer service just keeps going down hill. My family and i had so many issues with team members yesterday, I at least made a report of it at guest services. At this point, Guest Relations, Studio Tour team members, and performers have been the only "groups" of team members that are consistently amazing. Beyond that? Down hill....

Team members at our park can be a hit or miss, which is pretty darn unfortunate. Guests should be able to approach any employee knowing they'll have a warm, friendly response. Also, I can't count how many times I've seen team members goofing off with fellow employees in front of several people. I shouldn't have to wait several minutes to ask a simple question because an employee is laughing and not paying any attention to their duties.

I could rant for days.

This is what happened yesterday in a few short sentences:

Team member using guest bathroom, team member spitting on the floor, team members goofing off, team members speaking nonstop Spanish, a few different team members bump into my mom and never apologize, almost no smiles all day from regular team members, and some girl character handler team member giving us major attitude and yelling at us and overall being nasty to us and mocking us and her coworker shaking her head and laughing at us.

All in one day. It's a shame when all this crap overshadows the good cast members. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless I'm mistaken, that's a big no no. Well, it is at Disney anyway, but it's awkward and weird and seems unprofessional at USH too. I understand if it's an emergency. But when they just stand in line with the rest of the guests, it seems....*shrug* idk, not cool.

But that was the least of my concerns at the park. Like holy crap, the team members need customer service training.

Yeah that seems valid for them to use guest bathrooms. I personally think that it's kinda invalid to judge customer service in one if the busiest times of the year. Many TM's are stressed, and to be frank were probably annoyed at having to work Christmas Day. It's very easy to maintain high levels of customer service in times of extreme demand as I've personally experienced at work. That doesn't necessarily give them an excuse, but gives them extenuating circumstances to consider. Also, on weekdays, I've always found TM's to be exceptional.

If an employee does not have their own restrooms then they are permitted to use guest bathrooms. If a lower lot employee is off the clock in the upper lot, they can use the bathrooms. And vice-versa.

JP, Shrek, show control and Studio Tour are attractions that do not provide private bathrooms for their TMs. Not sure on Despicable Me. T2 had employee restrooms I'm fairly sure but I don't know about DM.

Their conduct however is another question.

^ Employees have always used the public restrooms, so I doubt there's a rule preventing it.
Oh ok, interesting. I know it's a big no no at Disney, so that's why I was always confused about that. Either way, that was the least of my concerns that day lol, it was just odd.

Yeah that seems valid for them to use guest bathrooms. I personally think that it's kinda invalid to judge customer service in one if the busiest times of the year. Many TM's are stressed, and to be frank were probably annoyed at having to work Christmas Day. It's very easy to maintain high levels of customer service in times of extreme demand as I've personally experienced at work. That doesn't necessarily give them an excuse, but gives them extenuating circumstances to consider. Also, on weekdays, I've always found TM's to be exceptional.
Um....i don't think there is any excuse whatsoever. I've seen the customer service go downhill for about a year now. Christmas wasn't even that busy to be honest, crowd levels were very comfortable all day, I was surprised. Not even close to the crowds we saw during other peak days. Everything was around a 40 minute wait all day. The guests weren't even that much of an issue. It was the team members. I don't care if it's Christmas and you are annoyed that you have to work that day. You know what you signed up for. It's inexcusable to be rude as a team member on any day. That's their job, to provide good customer service, all day, every day.

I'm not asking for some special treatment or fakeness. I'm just expecting them to be civil.

I will use Disney as a comparison. Their cast members have always been wonderful everytime I've gone. Maybe 1% have been even slightly rude before. Otherwise, they're always very patient and courteous in even the craziest and packed situations. Saying it's invalid to judge customer service on Christmas is kind of ironic. You'd think they'd try extra harder to be nice that day.

Either way, bottom line was, I've noticed this crappy customer service at USH for a little over a year now, and it had nothing to do with Christmas, which wasn't even that packed. It is inexcusable for team members to randomly give guests attitude or not show politeness. The bathroom thing was the least of my concerns, I didn't mention that at GR, it was just something interesting I mentioned here, so forget that.

Universal can keep building the most amazing rides on earth, but if they don't improve customer service training, then they'll be screwed in the long run.

But hey, I'm glad you find them exceptional most of the time. Like I've said before, there's many team members who are great and I've given them compliments at GR and made sure they are recognized. Part of my job is customer service, so I really respect common decency and good service. But when some team members' common decency goes out the window, I have an issue.

I personally think that it's kinda invalid to judge customer service in one if the busiest times of the year. Many TM's are stressed, and to be frank were probably annoyed at having to work Christmas Day. 
Seems to me that is the BEST time to judge customer service. It's easy to give good customer service when the park is slow. It's a challenge to give good customer service when the park is busy. And to be honest, I don't really care how stressed a person is at work. The guest is paying for a wonderful experience. And the team member is getting paid to help make that day wonderful. BTW; they are getting paid double time on Christmas Day. 

^ Exactly, right on the money. There is NEVER an excuse to be rude to a customer or not show common decency. Slow day, busy day, doesn't matter. Part of the experience is good customer service.

I'm not spending my hard earned money to be treated like crap because they had a crappy day or its *gasp* BUSY AT A THEME PARK. Good luck to those team members once Potter opens.....

I'll say it again: USH will only keep getting more packed as the years go by, and if Universal wants to compete in this market, they'll have to improve their customer service throughout the whole park to match GR and The Studio Tour team members.

During HHN a few years back I went in wearing a Knott's shirt, and ticket booth guy didn't want to sell me a ticket.  That went on for a whole 10 minutes.
Utterly ridiculous. I see guests at theme parks all the time wearing shirts for other theme parks. (At Disney yesterday I saw a guest with a USH jacket)

All I know? At Disneyland we could be fired on the spot for poor customer service. Usually they wouldn't go to such an extreme unless it was truly heinous, but it was a very real possibility.

I work in the travel and service industry, and there is NEVER an excuse to behave that way in front of a guest. After they leave, in the break room, in the bathroom, in your car, absolutely be as miserable and frustrated as possible. But it's their job to be the face of the brand at all times with guests.

^ Beautiful post. I work in VIP Client Services at my job, which deals with luxury automobiles and clientele. I've had crazy customers every week. There is never an excuse for bad customer service, and if Universal doesn't fix it now, then I legitimately will not frequent the park as often.

When its summer AND its opening day for a new attraction, you'd think the park would be staffed up and ready to accommodate crowds! 
Well, Potter's less than a year away from opening. Can Universal step up their game in time?

Everyone keeps focusing on their additions, but I'm astounded that no one else has brought up the lack of improvements to customer care. I'd rather go to Disneyland Resort at this point, and I'm usually much happier doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DonRaf
^ I have mentioned it many, many times, and I've actually said to GR that they can build as many new attractions as they want, but if they don't improve their customer service in multiple areas, it won't matter, as the guest wants to also feel special.

They still have a lot to learn from Disney.