Tokyo Disneyland Resort | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Tokyo Disneyland Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd love for WDW to get a longer, take-your-time dark ride filled with big sets and animaronics like Tokyo's BATB (I think it looks beautifully crafted)... but I also agree that Imagineering seems to have fallen into a lazy-ish story template for many of their non-thrill dark rides.

There are exceptions (Na'vi River Journey and Runaway Railway immediately come to mind, but those are also polarizing attractions), but to a certain extent, we seem to be back in a "book report"-style place for these rides (even when they're technically supposed to be "sequels" to the movie, like Frozen Ever After).

That said, I want to see what the Fantasy Springs attractions at DisneySea look like in this regard. I have every expectation that they're going to be wonderful dark rides.

I'd love for WDW to get a longer, take-your-time dark ride filled with big sets and animaronics like Tokyo's BATB (I think it looks beautifully crafted)... but I also agree that Imagineering seems to have fallen into a lazy-ish story template for many of their non-thrill dark rides.

There are exceptions (Na'vi River Journey and Runaway Railway immediately come to mind, but those are also polarizing attractions), but to a certain extent, we seem to be back in a "book report"-style place for these rides (even when they're technically supposed to be "sequels" to the movie, like Frozen Ever After).

That said, I want to see what the Fantasy Springs attractions at DisneySea look like in this regard. I have every expectation that they're going to be wonderful dark rides.

Flight of Passage def has the feel of a "longer, take your time" ride. As weird as it sounds, I would argue Hagrid's does too.

Last edited:
Flight of Passage def has the feel of a "longer, take your time" ride. Heck, as weird as it sounds, I would argue Hagrid's does too.

Flight of Passage is paced excellently (not a dark ride, though!). It's also just long enough to satisfy after a long standby wait... but not long enough to overstay its welcome.

Hagrid's has several pretty distinct "scenes," which allow it to feel longer than it actually is.

I'm not sure if it is thrills or danger that are missing. It's more about heart or soul. The new generation of dark rides seem to focus on the main songs and the retelling of the stories but something gets lost. Little Mermaid has some good animatronics but, even though I typically ride it (because the line is shorter), it still is missing that certain something. Mainly, the rides come across as kind of boring. Pirates isn't really thrilling or dangerous (aside from worrying about getting wet) but it has a great story. Same with Haunted Mansion. Peter Pan is old school and finds a way to tie into that nostalgia. I love Winnie the Pooh (WDW version) and I know that it isn't everyone's favorite. However, you feel invested in the story as opposed to being an outside observer. Maybe that's what is missing.
Mermaid has a bit of a pacing issue...the scenes toward the end needed to be re-organized a bit and a few longer transitions should've been added

If Under the Sea had one more scene depicting the defeat of Ursula in a grander way than it currently does, I think a lot more people would really appreciate the ride.

I think it's quite underrated even as it is.
Yes. We like it and ride it often. It has the good music clips too. And a big plus is that it has very good capacity, so the lines are decent.

Reactions: belloq87
New fireworks show for Tokyo but no projection mapping? Is this only a thing other countries do?

All Disney-Owned Disney Theme Parks use Projection mapping these days, domestically, and Internationally. This could be a case of OLC simply not caring to invest in projection mapping or not thinking it's worth it?

For some quick proof on a recent international Disney show, here's Momentous, the new show at HKDL. It debuted last summer with full projection mapping on their new castle:

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I'll be visiting Japan from May 11th-May 22nd and visiting the Tokyo Disney Resort on May 17th. If anyone wants any pictures taken or knows anybody who might be going during that time, just let me know.

EDIT: Also asking for thoughts on this itinerary. I'm gonna be doing one day at two parks (with a possible, but unlikely second day) so I'm emphasizing efficiency and hitting experiences exclusive to the Tokyo parks. I'll be doing single rider and Premier Access as much as possible. I'm thinking of hitting the rides in this order:

Beauty and the Beast
Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Splash Mountain
Monsters Inc.
Getting the hell out of Disneyland and going to DisneySea (would hopefully like to only spend two hours at most at Disneyland if necessary)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
20,000 Leagues
Chandu Cuteness Simulator
Dinner at Curry Restaurant in Arabian Coast
Indiana Jones
Disney Sea Transit Steamer Line
Nemo and Friends SeaRider
Aquatopia
Tower of Terror
Venetian Gondolas
Soaring Fantastic Flight

Last edited:
I'll be visiting Japan from May 11th-May 22nd and visiting the Tokyo Disney Resort on May 17th. If anyone wants any pictures taken or knows anybody who might be going during that time, just let me know.

EDIT: Also asking for thoughts on this itinerary. I'm gonna be doing one day at two parks (with a possible, but unlikely second day) so I'm emphasizing efficiency and hitting experiences exclusive to the Tokyo parks. I'll be doing single rider and Premier Access as much as possible. I'm thinking of hitting the rides in this order:

Beauty and the Beast
Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Splash Mountain
Monsters Inc.
Getting the hell out of Disneyland and going to DisneySea (would hopefully like to only spend two hours at most at Disneyland if necessary)
20,000 Leagues
Indiana Jones
Aquatopia
Tower of Terror
Venetian Gondolas
Soaring Fantastic Flight
Good luck getting all that done in 1 day!
Seriously jealous though, I need to go to Japan one day.

Beauty and the Beast
Pooh's Hunny Hunt
Splash Mountain
Monsters Inc.
20,000 Leagues
Indiana Jones
Aquatopia
Tower of Terror
Venetian Gondolas
Soaring Fantastic Flight
Start at Disney SEA if you even want a chance at doing those things. Disney SEA capacity is woeful.

ETA: there’s an “after 5” pass that could help you the day before. Could probably knock out your Disneyland must-dos

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Start at Disney SEA if you even want a chance at doing those things. Disney SEA capacity is woeful.

ETA: there’s an “after 5” pass that could help you the day before. Could probably knock out your Disneyland must-dos
So I should start with SEA and leave my Disneyland rides till the end of the day? Would I still be able to get on Beauty and the Beast without rope-dropping?

So I should start with SEA and leave my Disneyland rides till the end of the day? Would I still be able to get on Beauty and the Beast without rope-dropping?
Im not sure about Beauty and the Beast, but the rest were walk-ons at night. Disney SEA rides sustain waits all day. And Journey could break down.

You can probably single rider Indy. Sindbad should be a walk on. Aquatopia is skippable. Gondolas will eat up a lot of your time.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Don’t know if anyone wrote it here before, but if you’ve ever been to the American Haunted Mansions since the refurbs, you saw Constance the axe-wielding Black Widow. Well a new update for the Tokyo version reveals that this Bride is also a Constance albeit without the face and axe.
e581cb2e09124689adc014d78e58f8f67440ecd7.jpg

This was confirmed by recent merchandise which confirmed her name is indeed Constance:
TDLHauntedMansionMerch2023_5.jpg

60379_XDuE.jpg

There’s also a new online experience called “Disney Story Beyond”; I don’t get the jist of it fully but apparently it’s a look into the backstories of rides in Tokyo Disneyland.

160209b97d90c8a32175242e79c01fbe.jpg

Fun fact the artist who did the artwork for the merchandise and game is Guruhiru, a comic book artist who did “Superman Smashes the Klan”.

I love HM but the bride has never really....been that cool or a designed Character.

I will say, I love the anime look on this poster. Its so Japanese and would very much watch a HM anime

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
we've just secured our tokyo disneyland/sea tickets — we're going for 2.5 days in early October. our dining reservation won't open for another month, but curious if anyone has thoughts or opinions on a particular restaurant to aim for? or to avoid? I'm happy to eat my weight in weird popcorn, but my doctor says I need to eat "real food" that "isn't poison for my body."