Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Theme Park Artwork

This is my completely impractical concept art for a retro, sci-fi themed ride (think Buck Rogers and 1940's pulp fiction).

FYI: All initial concept art should be over the top and not only convey a general look but more importantly , the feeling one should take from the idea.

Did you ever see the first owl concept art for Hogsmeade? It contained a cool little alleyway to nowhere and the streets were covered with banks and banks of snow. Completely impractical stuff that was inevitably removed from later renderings.

In short, you are good! ;)

Thanks, Alex and Teebin.

There is, indeed, something great about early concept art, like what we saw with Hogsmeade. Seeing how a project would look without the bounds of money or practicality is always cool.

For example, I've always wished that instead of the faux cobblestone they use in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley, that they could've used real cobblestones and made the ground uneven and buckled like what we'd see in a place that has actually aged for centuries. But of course, that would be dangerous and completely un-doable for a theme park.

Great artwork everyone! I was in China for 6 months, for some reason, OU isn’t allowed there so I was glad to see the thread still going when I got back home about a week ago. After seeing Jurassic World (thankfully in English), I was inspired to incorporate JW's "Main Street" into a Universal park. I put it in Universal Studios Hollywood because it's where the movie magic started and a lot of people say that it is currently only a half-day park (I've never been). I’ve taken into account the rumor of the removal of Animal Actors/Special Effects Stage and put a viewing area/trees in their place (I like the idea of extending the "hub" area (and I really like the idea of axing two very intrusive buildings) and the views from the top of that hill would be amazing). Some things to note about the concept - 1, the black lines that cross "Samsung's Main Street" are tracks for a Pterosaur roller coaster and 2, the corner of the Revenge of the Mummy show building could actually be removed for a footpath because as far as I'm aware, the ride doesn’t go into that corner of the show building.

20415676125_2d3ac617a0_b.jpg

And a zoomed in view of the new Lower Lot

19794513863_783e628501_b.jpg

I recently uploaded a photo on twitter of chance holding a knife at Amanda on the wheel of death. It got the attention of James Keaton and he made it his FB cover photo, apparently the entire cast of carnage returns saw it, most creative team members and summer Aiello made fun of my drawing skills (life complete). I can't find a way to upload it in good quality however you can find it @coleycow22 and of corse James Keaton's cover photos on Facebook. Made my morning and my life

I am a resident of St.Petersburg Fl, until a few months ago we had the St. Pete Pier(upside down triangle).
a deal was signed at the 1994 IAAPA trade show in
Miami for a new steel looping coaster, to be built off a pier in St.
Petersburg, Florida. The firm looking to install the coaster is
currently trying to obtain proper permits from the city for construction
of the new ride, which looks to be very similar to the "Anaconda"
4-inversion coaster at Paramount's King's Dominion. On the ground floor of the pier they displayed several architectural renderings. It was never built and I can only find one drawing. http://www.tampabay.com/resources/images/photo-gallery/rendered/2013/01/pier_history72_8col.jpg
The image is cropped on the bottom, anybody know the designer by the top of their logo?

Its more an idea of something, and its somewhat poor but bear on me..

For a few days, I've thought to myself; "What exactly would Kidzone look like, given a proper Illumination make over." and then it donned on me. And with so, I've come around to mess with Photoshop..on this.

MRZoH3D.png

The idea here, is simple. Keep Universal IPs in Kidzone, but bring in a new taste to it. Heres the list of things..

- Animal Actors replaced with a expanded version of SSFL with a new family coaster to make up Woodys loss
- Wood, Fivel, and old ET Extended line replaced with a two floor version of TSLOP, with a façade to compliment DMMM
- ET Adventure extends out more to street, and replaces SpongeBob Meet and Greet for all new outdoor line/entrance/exit. Removal of Preshow and the Toy Barn included
-Barney replaced with Despicable Me and Super Silly Fun Land
-Two entrances into the land, one by Hollywood and the other by the Simpsons ride entrance
-Curious George replaced with 2 options; A.) Meet and Greet building of the Pets, ET, Minions, Gru & daughters, and Vector (or) B.) Minions playground

This idea of mine has kept in me very much so, and if Nintendo wouldn't of come into this area as rumored, and that TSLOP wasn't rumored for IOA; I would love this to happen for Kidzone. It would also bring two new HHN entrances, one being by SSFL and Simpsons and the other being by TSLoP and the dark blue.

Its an idea, but I wanted to let that one out more than some of the others I've had from past.

Its more an idea of something, and its somewhat poor but bear on me..

For a few days, I've thought to myself; "What exactly would Kidzone look like, given a proper Illumination make over." and then it donned on me. And with so, I've come around to mess with Photoshop..on this.

MRZoH3D.png

The idea here, is simple. Keep Universal IPs in Kidzone, but bring in a new taste to it. Heres the list of things..

- Animal Actors replaced with a expanded version of SSFL with a new family coaster to make up Woodys loss
- Wood, Fivel, and old ET Extended line replaced with a two floor version of TSLOP, with a façade to compliment DMMM
- ET Adventure extends out more to street, and replaces SpongeBob Meet and Greet for all new outdoor line/entrance/exit. Removal of Preshow and the Toy Barn included
-Barney replaced with Despicable Me and Super Silly Fun Land
-Two entrances into the land, one by Hollywood and the other by the Simpsons ride entrance
-Curious George replaced with 2 options; A.) Meet and Greet building of the Pets, ET, Minions, Gru & daughters, and Vector (or) B.) Minions playground

This idea of mine has kept in me very much so, and if Nintendo wouldn't of come into this area as rumored, and that TSLOP wasn't rumored for IOA; I would love this to happen for Kidzone. It would also bring two new HHN entrances, one being by SSFL and Simpsons and the other being by TSLoP and the dark blue.

Its an idea, but I wanted to let that one out more than some of the others I've had from past.
I like it. This would have been a great alternative had NintendoLand not go through. I especially like the second connection into Springfield and E.T. staying (both of which are most likely occurring anyhow).

Time to try a second Universal park in the fold..and this one, is more theorizing than the idea I had if Nintendo didn't happen..

mYOyRuB.jpg

So, this is going to be complicated..

First off, numerous soundstages would move over to the Universal Backlot (god forbid I create a diagram of THAT) for the new expansions, as Diagon Alley and Nintendo come along the way for the "Lower Lot Transformation" that'd take place from 2017 to 2020. This would be more..the list of things..

Late 2016: Announcement of Lower Lot Transformation, with Diagon and TSLoP revealed, with announcement of movings of soundstages more into the NBCUniversal Backlot
2017: The Secret Life of Pets Opens, with Transformers moving its extended line to be behind the newly erected building; Old line goes Vacant and not touched, possibly used as a house location for HHN. Mummy closes with multiple soundstages shutting down early on in 2017
2018: Closure of the Soundstages to the left of 28, with Transformers going also in the process to make way for Nintendo; new attraction to come on the Upper Lot, preferably within the Studio Tour, announcement of Nintendo
2019: Diagon Alley opens to the public with a superior version to London, including taller facades for both London and Diagon Alley to block it from the StarWay. Hogwarts Express also taller in height in the loading bay, with a two floor line (Possibly using some sort of version of the London Tube)
2020: Lower Lot Transformation finishes with the grand opening of a brand new Nintendo-based Area using Mario, Zelda, and DK as the hook of the marketing; with Mario being the epicenter of it all, with a brand new E-Ticket Dark ride similar to Orlandos rumored MarioKart attraction with polished effects and new support with using Amibos as means of unlocking special features of the cart

~Dark Blue (Next to StarWay) - New Retail Or Dining establishment
~Teal - Transformers Gift Shop
~Light blue - Nintendo
~Purple - New Transformers Façade/Exit
~Yellow - Transformers Extended line
~Orange - TSLoP
~Green - Covering trees at Gringotts Extended Line
~Light Grey - New Studio working area
~Grey - Mew pavement
~Dark Grey - New Road for London Area

Headlining for the Expansion
~TSLOP
~Nintendo
~Diagon Alley

Great concepts Alexshow! I like the Lower Lot's "London Hub". I think that due to the similarities between Revenge of the Mummy and Escape from Gringotts, RotM would be unable to hold its own at USH if Diagon Alley were to make a West Coast appearance. RotM might as well go.

I like the idea of incorporating more Universal IP's. Disney and Uni seem to be taking on other film studios’ IP’s rather than using their own. I understand why, HP has made millions for Universal and Star Wars is probably gonna bring in even more for Disney (even though Disney has bought Lucasfilm, I don't regard Star Wars to be Disney because 6/7 of the films weren’t Disney films upon their release). I wouldn’t at all mind seeing Middle Earth and the DC Universe at Disney/Uni but I feel they could use some of their own franchises.

That brings me onto Universal’s Illumination Entertainment’s “The Secret Life of Pets”. I am interested to see how it performs at box office and how it gets reviewed. I imagine it must tricky for theme park designers, they either create a ride unassociated to an IP which will be specifically for the park, or they use an existing IP, the former being rare nowadays. They could take a gamble and open a ride coinciding with the release of a film but I don't think that has happened before (Jurassic Park at USH was being developed alongside the film but the ride didn't open for years after). They have to first see how it performs/gets reviewed. That's what happened with Frozen and why Frozen Ever After is happening almost too late after the hype.

I think the best option is to wait to see how a movie performs and gauge whether it will stand the test of time, even though being iconic doesn't always save a ride from being replaced (E.T. and so on).

Nice! I like your art style! It looks like a vibrant color storyboard from the pre-production of a Pixar movie!

BTW, your "concept art for a retro, sci-fi themed ride" image is no longer loading. Maybe check the site where it was uploaded?