The Future of PortAventura | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
19 days and we’ll know one way or the other.

Pablo if you see anything out there between now and then, feel free to continue posting it so we can all examine it.

But just a reminder, just because it’s posted here, doesn’t make it a fact. We follow a “rumored” until its confirmed mentality here. People are allowed to believe what they want based on the evidence they have.

Alicia has some of the best evidence of anyone out there. Many people are gonna trust her because she’s established and has a huge amount of respect.

Your team has thrown down the gauntlet of Oct 31st - both with mention of the tik tok and Mariah (which notoriously starts Nov 1st). So we will wait for that date and see who’s evidence is stronger.
As I said before I have respect for Alicia and I think she does a great job. I watch her videos on Epic Universe news. Still anyone can fail or have wrong information. In this case the same information comes from local european insiders from both Port Aventura and Disneyland Paris, famous leakers with credibility to at least take them into consideration. Normally it's hard to have a physical proof of leaks but if you have sources that everything they say is true you give it reliability. Everyone can believe or not what he considers but, in my opinion, you give little credibility to the european sources that regionally have got everything right.

That said for my part this debate is closed and as you said with time it will be known if the information was correct or not. Above it has been commented that they will wait for Alicia or people with similar credibility to provide more information so I will let them be the ones who, if there is any new information, provide it.

My theory is that this is information leaked from the park to prepare the ground and communicate the news of the sale in November or December.

Finally I have no direct information and I put forward my theory that the announcement will be in November / December and that maybe on November 14 there is something related to this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico
I am not sure why people would think universal should start for scratch in Europe with a new resort, Given constructions costs it will be absolutely cheaper to buy this resort and expand.

It depends on what Universal's plan is, $1B to buy a park (and its land) is a decent deal... but some can question its current quality/location.

Prior to Covid, the park was averaging about 3.5 million visitors...decent but not numbers Universal wants. Obviously, the Universal name/brand/IPs will generate more attendance, but I'm sure they're researching to see if its current location is optimal for the 9-10 million attendance levels they ideally would like. I think Spain is perfect, but the current location is questionable. Takes about 90 mins to get to from Barcelona on train, 5 hours driving from Madrid.

I think Spain is perfect, but the current location is questionable. Takes about 90 mins to get to from Barcelona on train, 5 hours driving from Madrid.
Well, they are building a new train station right across the park entrance

And the closest airport(Reus) will soon start building a new terminal too

And also the port of Tarragona, which is 20 minutes away from the park, is getting a new cruise terminal

So I'd say that authorities believe that tourism in the area will heavily increase in the short term or they wouldn't be investing so much money to increase transport capacity

Reactions: Blue
I have no insider knowledge, zero sources and I've never even been to Spain. I'm just here to say that was some impressively quick back-pedaling on the Halloween announcement date.
At what point did I say the announcement was going to be on Halloween? In the same post with the media article I put that my theory is that it would be in November / December. I only made reference to the fact that in April a tiktok went viral that put Halloween as the date and now the sale news are emerging. Anyway, the Halloween season in Port Aventura ends on November 13.

And the one who said it would be before Mariah's defrosting is another user who hasn't said it won't happen so please stop generating hate.

Seems like there's an emotional over reaction to typical theme park discussion on this thread. I don't think any 'hate' is involved. This is the way topics get discussed when there's just conjecture on 'rumors'. No one is being hateful personally, they're just voicing their opinions concerning the info, or lack of, being presented. The more veteran posters have experienced lots of rumors over the years that never materialized. So, until some hard information is presented, there's always going to be some skeptical discussion. This rumor may turn out to be true, but stuff like Tic Tok posts are not the sort of credibility that's going to convince people. Other threads that speak to other rumors get the same skeptical discussion, so there's no reason to feel personally attacked. For a recent example, check out the Hollywood Donkey Kong thread. Same type discussion on a rumor floated by another theme park site. This is a 'Forum', discussions happen.

Seems like there's an emotional over reaction to typical theme park discussion on this thread. I don't think any 'hate' is involved. This is the way topics get discussed when there's just conjecture on 'rumors'. No one is being hateful personally, they're just voicing their opinions concerning the info, or lack of, being presented. The more veteran posters have experienced lots of rumors over the years that never materialized. So, until some hard information is presented, there's always going to be some skeptical discussion. This rumor may turn out to be true, but stuff like Tic Tok posts are not the sort of credibility that's going to convince people. Other threads that speak to other rumors get the same skeptical discussion, so there's no reason to feel personally attacked. For a recent example, check out the Hollywood Donkey Kong thread. Same type discussion on a rumor floated by another theme park site. This is a 'Forum', discussions happen.
Opinions concerning the info are okay and understandable. He / she has mocked about a my " impressively quick back-pedaling on the Halloween announcement date". And I have never said that on October 31 there will be any announcement.

Opinions concerning the info are okay and understandable. He / she has mocked about a my " impressively quick back-pedaling on the Halloween announcement date". And I have never said that on October 31 there will be any announcement.
But the way you presented your previous posts, that was what one reading them would think. When I read your post, I thought the exact same thing that @Fedic said. I didn't post my thoughts because you have seemed to take things too personal, and I didn't want to rile you up....No one here is against you. They're just questioning your info, which to be honest, isn't convincing. Cool it and you'll be more comfortable. I actually hope your info is correct. I'd like to see Universal run the park. But the info seems confusing since it's including both Universal and Disney in some sort of venture. That's what makes it sound suspect.

But the way you presented your previous posts, that was what one reading them would think. When I read your post, I thought the exact same thing that @Fedic said. I didn't post my thoughts because you have seemed to take things too personal, and I didn't want to rile you up....No one here is against you. They're just questioning your info, which to be honest, isn't convincing. Cool it and you'll be more comfortable. I actually hope your info is correct. I'd like to see Universal run the park. But the info seems confusing since it's including both Universal and Disney in some sort of venture. That's what makes it sound suspect.
I don't take it personally and I wasn't the only one debating the topic. I have already commented my opinion on the insider's information thing and everyone can believe or not what he/she considers. I just gave a different point of view. But I think it is fair to be judged by what I have said and not by others words, isn't it?

I don't take it personally and I wasn't the only one debating the topic. I have already commented my opinion on the insider's information thing and everyone can believe or not what he/she considers. I just gave a different point of view. But I think it is fair to be judged by what I have said and not by others words, isn't it?
My view of you is only concerning what you say, how you react, and not what others say about you. It's just that sometimes we interpret your remarks in a similar understanding. Nothing personal. I hope you continue posting your opinion on this and other subjects. It's always interesting to hear the perspective of an individual from another country.

Both Disneyland Paris and Spanish insiders have been open about this topic. Please, do your own research before commenting.

Of course it's something personal, as it seems you are not only making fun of, but also belittle the work of many renowned european insiders (with, may I add, impeccable track records).

Nobody backpedalled on the Halloween announcement, as that was the best case scenario. Two weeks ago, the announcement date was set in stone. You wont have to wait too long.

Some of the new directors have been spotted around the park, and they fit the description given by Disneyland Paris insiders.

Besides, this is much bigger than just PortAventura, with Comcast opening their offices in Barcelona and NBCUniversal in Madrid. This is a continent wide operation to enter the european market.

As I said, not only we have access to inside documents and sources from both Disneyland Paris and PortAventura, but also flight records, government meetings and commercial registry.

I would kindly like to ask what those sources of yours have stated, as that would make it easier for both parties (european and american) to piece the information together.
Best regards.

By the way, those fakes you were talking about were always intended to be just that, fakes. They were inside jokes from a Telegram group that people leaked as if they were the real deal.

You'd be amazed at just how much Universal imaginery has remained in the resort after all those years though.

I don't really understand all this debate, I share the opinion of Universal entering PortAventura either with a purchase or an agreement of some kind to manage the park, but I don't share the attitude of the others, you have your sources and your information, you just post as far as you are allowed to and let time decide who was wrong and who was right, there's no need to make a whole mess about it

For what it’s worth, I think Universal is coming to Europe. Wherever they end up, I hope it’s a positive expansion of the brand. Hopefully they’ve looked very closely at the history Euro Disney and the pursuing financial chaos for the domestic parks.

For what it’s worth, I think Universal is coming to Europe. Wherever they end up, I hope it’s a positive expansion of the brand. Hopefully they’ve looked very closely at the history Euro Disney and the pursuing financial chaos for the domestic parks.

100% in the next decade they'll be working in Europe.

They can't go into Europe with the mindset that they can create Orlando 2.0 like Disney thought it could do. Design the place to be a really good 1-2 day destination with decent hotels. There's a lot of tourism in Europe, so you can't rely on competing with them directly like Disney/Universal does in Orlando with other American tourist locations.

100% in the next decade they'll be working in Europe.

They can't go into Europe with the mindset that they can create Orlando 2.0 like Disney thought it could do. Design the place to be a really good 1-2 day destination with decent hotels. There's a lot of tourism in Europe, so you can't rely on competing with them directly like Disney/Universal does in Orlando with other American tourist locations.
Plus a good weather spot that doesn't have cold winters like Paris. UK'ers, as an example, love to vacation in Portugal, Spain, Italy and the Greek Islands/Greece.

Well, they are building a new train station right across the park entrance

And the closest airport(Reus) will soon start building a new terminal too

And also the port of Tarragona, which is 20 minutes away from the park, is getting a new cruise terminal

So I'd say that authorities believe that tourism in the area will heavily increase in the short term or they wouldn't be investing so much money to increase transport capacity
Barcelona can't keep up with the tourism demands, and visitors have already started displacing the local population.

The plan is to create a secondary touristic hub in Tarragona to absorb the tourists Barcelona can't handle. Reus airport is set to become Barcelona's second international airport, much like Paris' Orly or London's Stansted. It will be linked to Madrid and Barcelona via high speed trains. Madrid is currently just two and a half hours away, and Barcelona 35 minutes.

Even then, Southern Europe's most important transportation axis, the Mediterranean Corridor, passes right by the resort.

The area Universal Mediterranea was in was specifically developed for EuroDisneyland. Even the district of Salou (where the resort is) was created for Disney, to serve the same purpose as Reedy Creek Development district in WDW.

After doing some research, it was revealed that Salou was to be EuroDisneyland's home up until the very end of the process. However, Michael Eisner and Frank Wells ultimately decided to settle in France.

Costa Daurada was built to accomodate such resort, and Universal Mediterranea would have succeeded if it wasn't for the company wide crisis. Even them, the resort has always managed to be profitable, while Disneyland Paris still struggled to break even.

Every new development between the 2004-2023 period can be traced back to the plans Universal had for the resorts (even Ferrari Land, though that's quite a different story).

Many Universal projects were directly inspired by or considered for Port Aventura. Islands of Adventure, the Universal Monsters land in Epic Universe, Volcano Bay...

Everything is still there.

The hotels are almost always at capacity, the resort is Spain's second most visited attraction (right after Sagrada Familia) and it is constantly breaking both profit and attendance records.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Weather like in UK wouldn’t be a problem with many indoor attractions and facilities,,

The problem with the UK is Brexit. It would have totally worked in the UK ten years ago, but now their travel and work restrictions have just made the prospect of building a competitive resort almost impossible.