The Future of PortAventura | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of PortAventura

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal has been systematically updating their patents at the european office, only for them to then be registered in the spanish patent office.

The European Trademark office already protects the patents continent wide, but having them also registered in the Spanish Trademark office seems to indicate that they want their patents to be specially protected in the Spanish territory.

New filings have intensified this year. The last register, a "Virtual Queue System", was granted last Monday.

Universal does protect their patents worldwide, but these systemic filings are unprecedented. Especially when those patents in question are already protected in said territory.

Why would they go the extra mile and just secure its rights in Spain and not in the other european countries?

Universal has been systematically updating their patents at the european office, only for them to then be registered in the spanish patent office.

The European Trademark office already protects the patents continent wide, but having them also registered in the Spanish Trademark office seems to indicate that they want their patents to be specially protected in the Spanish territory.

New filings have intensified this year. The last register, a "Virtual Queue System", was granted last Monday.

Universal does protect their patents worldwide, but these systemic filings are unprecedented. Especially when those patents in question are already protected in said territory.

Why would they go the extra mile and just secure its rights in Spain and not in the other european countries?
Have they done this in other countries too?

They have sent the registration to the European Patent Office in English, French and German (as required by law) and then it was specifically sent to the Spanish Patent Office.
Ok so they are covering a lot. Makes sense to cross your t’s if you’re trying to branch into a whole continent.
I believe it is important to protect your patented technology in as many countries as allowed to, whether you intend to use it in that country or not.
View attachment 19930
Ah yes thank you! This was exactly what I was hoping for.

I believe it is important to protect your patented technology in as many countries as allowed to, whether you intend to use it in that country or not.
View attachment 19930
I dont know if you have noticed, but in all of those countries there have been Universal Parks projected in the last 10 years. Either that, they have their own Universal park or are located right next to a country with a Universal Park (it's important to protect your projects so that your neighbors cant copy them).

By the way, don't trust Google Patents, as it's only reliable for the USA. ;)

For example, the Trademark you have shared wasn't granted in either Europe or Spain until 2021. The year it shows is only telling of the version of the patent that was approved by said country, not the year it was passed.

That's why it's interesting to note that they are now registering in Spain patents that are sometimes older than 5 years.

Ok so they are covering a lot. Makes sense to cross your t’s if you’re trying to branch into a whole continent.

Ah yes thank you! This was exactly what I was hoping for.
They are only covering english, french and german because it's required of them though.
The timing of the last patents show that they were geared towards Spain (as patents need to first be sent to the European Trademark Office in those three languages, and then they have to send a translation to the Spanish office). If this had been only for Europe, a spanish translation wouldn't have been required.

Edit: Added screenshots for further contextScreenshot_2023-10-14-19-35-36-304_com.android.chrome.jpgScreenshot_2023-10-14-19-56-33-618_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nico
They are only covering english, french and german because it's required of them though.
The timing of the last patents show that they were geared towards Spain (as patents need to first be sent to the European Trademark Office in those three languages, and then they have to send a translation to the Spanish office). If this had been only for Europe, a spanish translation wouldn't have been required.

Edit: Added screenshots for further contextView attachment 19932View attachment 19933

Please refrain from double posting, please. You can always edit the post and amend what you wanna share.

Wow, things getting heated over here, I'm quoting myself just to keep track of what I said.

I'll just add that from what I heard, the DLP guy will start in november and then more people will start at the start of the new year, and the new owner(Universal or not) will be announced before the end of next month.

I first heard about someone from DLP coming to PortAventura about a week before Ally (https://x.com/aalllllyyyyyy) said that Universal was the one buying the park and hiring people from DLP, and he is one of the most reliable insiders when it comes to DLP, so amongst many other things, I am waiting for that person to switch jobs as a confirmation of all the previous rumors pointing towards Universal being the ones buying the park
Well, rumors start to become true, the person who allegedly was hired by Universal who was mentioned by name in my previos posts have just confirmed that he is leaving DLP today.

If I may bite on this topic....

I just want to point out at one point Universal Studios Dubai, Universal Studios Moscow, and Universal Studios Korea were going to be a thing until they weren't a thing anymore due to political, economic, and other considerations. (Lets face it, it was based on politics in all three cases...Jeff Shell getting arrested in Moscow and deported, the korean president getting impeached and all projects they approved getting cancelled, and Dubai not having the tourism to justify as well as the social climate).

It may be very possible Comcast/NBCU were very interested in obtaining an already created park but changed their mind due to numerous reasons (Lets face it, the uncharted attraction really was not a win for the park)....There is the purchase of the park and then deciding what needs to be updated, what needs to be changed, do we have the area to expand. So while there may be an initial $1 billion dollar price tag, it probably is much more than that.

Before someone mentions USJ, Universal buying out USJ was different because while Goldman Sachs owned the park, Universal still managed and operated it. This would be a first park that they didn't have management of for awhile.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

I just want to point out at one point Universal Studios Dubai, Universal Studios Moscow, and Universal Studios Korea were going to be a thing until they weren't a thing anymore due to political, economic, and other considerations. (Lets face it, it was based on politics in all three cases...Jeff Shell getting arrested in Moscow and deported, the korean president getting impeached and all projects they approved getting cancelled, and Dubai not having the tourism to justify as well as the social climate).

It may be very possible Comcast/NBCU were very interested in obtaining an already created park but changed their mind due to numerous reasons (Lets face it, the uncharted attraction really was not a win for the park)....There is the purchase of the park and then deciding what needs to be updated, what needs to be changed, do we have the area to expand. So while there may be an initial $1 billion dollar price tag, it probably is much more than that.

Before someone mentions USJ, Universal buying out USJ was different because while Goldman Sachs owned the park, Universal still managed and operated it. This would be a first park that they didn't have management of for awhile.
Yet it is still going to happen, and sooner than you all expect

This image still blows my mind.

IMG_4518.jpeg
Credit: @LCASTUDIOS_USJ via X

Port Aventura isn't just any resort, as Universal has already owned it in the past. If they ever sold Universal Mediterranea, it was because the resort was the least developed of them at that particular moment in time and Vivendi needed money desperately.

Not only is buying PortAventura easier than building a new resort from scratch, but also much cheaper. The timeline of developments and expansions hasn't been compromised, and so far they've stuck to what the plans were 20 years ago. In fact, they've been following them bit by bit (except for one onsite hotel and CityWalk).

More higher ups are expected to arrive from both Disneyland Paris and Universal. A huge recruitment campaign for the 2024 season is also on its way too.
The deal has been already sealed, they just have to make it public.

So... See y'all soon ;)

By the way, when all of this is over and if Universal turns out to be the buyer, I feel like some of you would owe the European theme park community an apology.

Last edited:
Reactions: UER
Port Aventura isn't just any resort, as Universal has already owned it in the past. If they ever sold Universal Mediterranea, it was because the resort was the least developed of them at that particular moment in time and Vivendi needed money desperately.

Not only is buying PortAventura easier than building a new resort from scratch, but also much cheaper. The timeline of developments and expansions hasn't been compromised, and so far they've stuck to what the plans were 20 years ago. In fact, they've been following them bit by bit (except for one onsite hotel and CityWalk).

More higher ups are expected to arrive from both Disneyland Paris and Universal. A huge recruitment campaign for the 2024 season is also on its way too.
The deal has been already sealed, they just have to make it public.

So... See y'all soon ;)

By the way, when all of this is over and if Universal turns out to be the buyer, I feel like some of you would owe the European theme park community an apology.
Done. And if it doesn’t come true?

Sure—so long as you, UER and Pablo es do the exact same thing and give an apology when it isn't actually bought. Or are the three of you going to push a needle to where it is claimed of it happening after November?

Last edited:
Sure—so long as you, UER and Pablo es do the exact same thing and give an apology when it isn't actually bought. Or are the three of you going to push a needle to where it is claimed of it happening after November?
In november Boulva was said to start working at the park

The latest rumor in spanish forums is that Universal has hired several DLP employees to work at their future european resort, going as far as giving names, for example Frédéric Boulva would be the replacement for Giovanni Modena, current COO at PortAventura.

Not my information, just sharing what I've seen over there and leaving written proof in case they are right
As I wrote here at the start of this month, don't you find it the least bit suspicius that he announced yesterday that he was leaving the DLP?

Well, rumors start to become true, the person who allegedly was hired by Universal who was mentioned by name in my previos posts have just confirmed that he is leaving DLP today.

For what I said to be true, 2 things needed to happen(he leaving DLP and he joining PA) and 50% of it has already been proven true, I never said anything about the ownership change being announced in november(you can check my previous posts)

Pinky promise

The announcement is still expected to happen this year, not sure where you got the november thing

Pinky promise

The announcement is still expected to happen this year, not sure where you got the november thing
Until the announcement magically gets "pushed back to next year". Probably "due to something on the legal end in purchasing the park", right?

Reactions: alomar