The Future of MIB | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of MIB

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’ve been saying this for a while now. Mib is a dead IP.
My guess is that at least for now MIB is safe. But down the line once Universal's current plans (F&F HRRR replacement, Pokemon replacement for Simpsons, and Zelda in IOA) are completed, I could see MIB as well as the abandoned FFL stage be on the chopping block for a whole new land.

Reactions: WebHead1138
I believe Universal has reached a new outlook where they won't replace an IP just because its "dated", especially if the ride is still popular and not a problem.
This is a great outlook and one I think they learned a little too late but I'm so happy they got here. E.T. Mummy, MIB should stick around in perpetuity. They have reached a certain state of "evergreen" status, iconic rides in their own right (regardless of the IP that is tied to them).

I’ve been saying this for a while now. Mib is a dead IP.
Leave MIB alone. Seriously studios has so many other places they can do stuff in. Simpsons, F&F, HRRR, and FF stadium. They do NOT need to touch this amazing ride!!!! Plus you may say it is a dead IP, but my 9 and 13 year old it was one of 2 rides they wanted to ride on Saturday at Studios. They love it!

Leave MIB alone. Seriously studios has so many other places they can do stuff in. Simpsons, F&F, HRRR, and FF stadium. They do NOT need to touch this amazing ride!!!! Plus you may say it is a dead IP, but my 9 and 13 year old it was one of 2 rides they wanted to ride on Saturday at Studios. They love it!
Dead IP does not mean a bad ride.

MIB just needs a bit of a modern refurb with some enhanced visuals/projection effects to modernize it a bit.

There are far bigger priorities (especially right next door on both sides) to tackle first.

Dead IP does not mean a bad ride.

MIB just needs a bit of a modern refurb with some enhanced visuals/projection effects to modernize it a bit.

There are far bigger priorities (especially right next door on both sides) to tackle first.
Agreed, updating is all it needs. It is still a popular ride. They do seem to be refreshing it overnight.

Agreed, updating is all it needs. It is still a popular ride. They do seem to be refreshing it overnight.
Yeah, very popular still. They refreshed it last year, it looked great, but rode yesterday and it's back to looking a bit off again unfortunately. Better than what it was in 2021/2022 though.

I believe Universal has reached a new outlook where they won't replace an IP just because its "dated", especially if the ride is still popular and not a problem.
Unfortunate that they didn't have this outlook in 2012. Lol

Shark Week GIF

As much as I loved Jaws, it presented a few problems.
I get why it was replaced but at the same time, it could've stuck around a little longer if they fixed it up. Japan's version is up-kept very well and it's just as old as Orlando's now. Glad we got Diagon but sad it had to come at the sacrifice of one of the greatest attractions ever made.

I get why it was replaced but at the same time, it could've stuck around a little longer if they fixed it up. Japan's version is up-kept very well and it's just as old as Orlando's now. Glad we got Diagon but sad it had to come at the sacrifice of one of the greatest attractions ever made.

It wasn't just repairs. Even when it was working, it required a ton of money to run. Add in the large space it occupied (in a Pre-Epic world) and it wasn't long for the world.

But we're moving away from MIB talk now.

To be frank - Universal cares about making money. MIB might be a "dead IP", but if MIB merch sells and the ride is popular.. why get rid of it?

I don't know that it moves much merchandise anymore (is there even any MIB merch left in the shop?), but it's certainly still a popular ride.
There is a lot of MIB merch... but rarely do you see anyone buying it (same goes for Fallon/Bourne). They have an entire wall of those memory erasers collecting dust lol

The store had a lot of retro stuff in it when I passed thru on Saturday. It caught my eye and since retro stuff is kind of back in style I imagine the merch in the store sells even if not MIB. But a lot of rides don't sell that much merch and they don't get knocked down. Not everything is going to sell like HP, Minions, Dreamworks, or Nintendo. You need other rides.

The store had a lot of retro stuff in it when I passed thru on Saturday. It caught my eye and since retro stuff is kind of back in style I imagine the merch in the store sells even if not MIB. But a lot of rides don't sell that much merch and they don't get knocked down. Not everything is going to sell like HP, Minions, Dreamworks, or Nintendo. You need other rides.
Yep. SLOP merch never sold well from day one, and they still built a ride 'after' the merch showed it had no legs.