Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 97 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Really not quite understanding all the "meh" comments. The land looks deep and layered. I mean theming everywhere. I think it's going to blow everyone away.

I'm gonna be honest, as I've aged, I'm at the point where I don't care a ton about theming. I just want rides. As long as the rides deliver, I'm set. Another Diagon Alley, this time themed to Star Wars, just isn't gonna do much for me. But I'll ride the rides all day.

Reactions: Cheezbat and rioriz
also that ride vehicle may be a little boring and uninventive, but you are forgetting the giant droid on the front of it, which is sure to be interactive. I can imagine if he somehow gets shot by blaster fire and he short circuits like R2 does in the movies, where a bunch of wires pop out of his head.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts, it does look nice...but I do agree with Joe it does look like they're trying to go with a grand reveal, and hoping it's going to have this big emotional impact a la' Diagon Alley. (Carsland is also applicable here.)

But here's the thing, with Diagon Alley and Carsland, the lands are based off places you know and remember from the books and films. So when you enter the land, and it opens up to reveal the area in full, it hits you. The place you read about, the place you saw in the movies, the place you remember. It's no longer a fantasy, It's here, it's REAL. An' that emotional connection to that iconic place helps make the reveal of the land hit so much harder.

The problem with SWL, is the land itself is not from the books or films. There's no emotional connection/attachment to it as it's a brand new thing. Yes, it's going to look good when you go in there, but that's about it. Now if the land was Tatoonie, then I could certainly see it having the same kind of emotional reveal that Diagon Alley and Carsland can pull off. But since the land itself is a mismatch of a original creation, I don't see that happening.

BAH...it's basically Mos Eisley with Trees (thank goodness, because it gets hot in Florida). This looks like your walking into a star wars outpost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: captainmoch
Really interesting comments here, definitely a Uni defensive vibe haha.

I'm definitely excited about this. I have no doubt it will pull me into the universe. It doesn't have to be straight from the story.

A new even 'mash up' style planet will be fun to explore.

I'm just glad the land is housing multiple rides. You can only lap Diagon and the stores with all the same merch so many times..

I'm gonna be honest, as I've aged, I'm at the point where I don't care a ton about theming. I just want rides. As long as the rides deliver, I'm set. Another Diagon Alley, this time themed to Star Wars, just isn't gonna do much for me. But I'll ride the rides all day.
Its funny how different people are - I am the complete opposite, as a kid/teen/young adult man I ran past theming as if it wasn't there, just get me on the front row of Splash/space/Hulk/Mummy

But now? I take it all in, enjoy walking through the lands, let a group of people in front if I am heading to a line.....when as a younger person Id have a mini heart attack rushing my family knowing we were just passed by 30+ people extending our wait a couple more minutes lol.

I think its a combination of appreciating it more cause I am paying for it now not my parents, and the planning/waiting for the vacation you're listening to the land music, looking at pics of the day etc...

So far the way I see it, and I am a Star Wars fan, is that it looks like a generic sci-fi land with some Star Wars bits thrown in, and it's still giving me a Pandora-esk "you have been invited to come to this world" as opposed to the "you are part of this world" you get from Potter. It looks good but there's nothing making me go "wow!", which I think is why many have a weird feeling toward this of "I like it but I don't like it". It may be quite are large area, but to me that doesn't equate to an impressive land, and in fact this can hinder it for me because it does kind of look like a lot of the same thing.

That being said I am still excited about this, and we can't really judge anything definitively by the model as things will change over the two years I'm sure!

But now? I take it all in, enjoy walking through the lands, let a group of people in front if I am heading to a line.....

I do that...the first time I'm through a land. After that? Get me to the rides. Hogsmeade, Diagon, Cars Land, etc are just alleys to the E-tickets now.

I'm similarly "meh" on the Nintendo aesthetics. Gonna have great rides, as will Star Wars, but the land itself I just am not really excited for.

Reactions: Porkchop
I do that...the first time I'm through a land. After that? Get me to the rides. Hogsmeade, Diagon, Cars Land, etc are just alleys to the E-tickets now.

I'm similarly "meh" on the Nintendo aesthetics. Gonna have great rides, as will Star Wars, but the land itself I just am not really excited for.
See I cannot wait to walk through Nintendo world, those iconic lands I have been immersed in since I was 2 playing NES! Going to be a blast.....and the rides will be amazing too lol

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Well yea, but when you make it look tech-y it starts looking like a Universal ride system to me. I guess the side walls aren't high either, so no blocked peripheral vision.

I would say a stripped down IJA or Dinosaur...hard to create too much of a unique vehicle for thjs type of ride system for functuality

Reactions: Andysol
So far the way I see it, and I am a Star Wars fan, is that it looks like a generic sci-fi land with some Star Wars bits thrown in, and it's still giving me a Pandora-esk "you have been invited to come to this world" as opposed to the "you are part of this world" you get from Potter. It looks good but there's nothing making me go "wow!", which I think is why many have a weird feeling toward this of "I like it but I don't like it". It may be quite are large area, but to me that doesn't equate to an impressive land, and in fact this can hinder it for me because it does kind of look like a lot of the same thing.

That being said I am still excited about this, and we can't really judge anything definitively by the model as things will change over the two years I'm sure!

I don't know how you can call it "generic' at all. It looks just like something out of Star Wars. If anything it's like a Star Wars "greatest hits".

However, if you took out the obvious Star Wars pieces you could quite easily theme it to something else with the rest of the structures. That's just my opinion though...

I think having had regular access for as long as I've had now, I'm kind of the opposite. I feel less compulsion to go on the rides, and just kind of enjoy the setting. Like I go to Diagon Alley a lot, but it's rather rare that I actually go on Escape from Gringott's.

This is EXACTLY what I thought when I saw it. Will it be nice? Sure. Will it blow me away? Doubt it...unless there are interactive animatronic aliens and droids throughout the land.

Reportedly there will be aliens and robits which will be covered more during D23.

You're younger than me shut up. :lol:

Really interesting comments here, definitely a Uni defensive vibe haha.

Just because some on here aren't already declaring it the best thing in the world doesn't mean anyone is defensive. One of the reasons why I was attracted to IU and OU was everyone's even handed, logical approach.

Reactions: Owen
Love the approach Imagineering is going with. However, just like how other people have mentioned, it won't be a jaw-dropping moment coming out of the passage tunnel. People will first glance and say "What is this? Oh ok it's Star Wars, I was confused for a second." Only way to remedy this, which has been back up by the model, is to include a heavy amount of known Star Wars props and vehicles.

im opposite (44 years old) the older i get the more of an immersive experience i want. Rides are certainly still important, but scale of the land is now pretty important to me

I think having had regular access for as long as I've had now, I'm kind of the opposite. I feel less compulsion to go on the rides, and just kind of enjoy the setting. Like I go to Diagon Alley a lot, but it's rather rare that I actually go on Escape from Gringott's.

Ha. And for me, I've been to so many theme parks that when I see rockwork I shrug and say, "Okay great. I hope there's a good ride behind it."

Reactions: Porkchop
Love the approach Imagineering is going with. However, just like how other people have mentioned, it won't be a jaw-dropping moment coming out of the passage tunnel. People will first glance and say "What is this? Oh ok it's Star Wars, I was confused for a second." Only way to remedy this, which has been back up by the model, is to include a heavy amount of known Star Wars props and vehicles.
Im excited just to hear the music playing in the background :lol:

Reactions: Ashhanbre and Owen

I don't know how you can make this argument, when you can't really see the sight line coming out of the tunnel in the model. it also looks like there will be an area before "the forest?" you enter the archway, that will have star wars props. Finally the arch itself looks really awesome.

Reactions: Ashhanbre
I don't know how you can make this argument, when you can't really see the sight line coming out of the tunnel in the model.

Nor can you, meaning by that logic you can't make the argument for the opposition either.

The model shouldn't really be looked at to make any final decisions (not that I think anyone has) as things may change and the land will look very different from ground level. That being said we can still get a sense of what the land will be, so it's perfectly valid for some concerns to be raised. :)

However, if you took out the obvious Star Wars pieces you could quite easily theme it to something else with the rest of the structures. That's just my opinion though...

I honestly don't know what else you could expect from a Star Wars land, than an area that looks like it's from Star Wars? I mean it's not like they can build a giant death star to walk around in, although there appears to be a first order base on site.

Maybe the problem is that Star Wars is "generic sci-fi"? I mean, I'm sure a lot of other movies/shows have copied the look.

I don't know how you can make this argument, when you can't really see the sight line coming out of the tunnel in the model. it also looks like there will be an area before "the forest?" you enter the archway, that will have star wars props. Finally the arch itself looks really awesome.
i agree
i dont see how anyone can be definitive about sight lines until you actually walk through the land