Star Trek coming to Universal? | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Trek coming to Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^ And, Star Trek is a "space opera" with stories that are easy to encapsulate into theme park experiences. LOTR is a long stretching saga and how do you boil it down to a 6 minute ride experience that guests can understand even if they haven't read the books or seen the movies. Harry Potter has the same problem where unless you've seen the films or read the books you'd probably be lost with any thread of story in the attractions. Luckily millions of people know the books and movies in the case of HP. LOTR is more niche with a more limited audience. Star Trek on the other hand is obvious with good guys and bad guys, just like Star Wars. If you know Star Trek just in passing you could still understand what is happening in a Star Trek themed attraction.

Also, Star Trek is wholly owned by a big media company who wants to make more money on their properties and already works with Universal for licensing Transformers.

Universal has made it very clear that they are actively competing for some of Disney's market share. With Star Wars land at WDW being planned it would make a lot of sense to preemptively counter a big immersive sci-fi land with their own. While they are obviously outpacing Disney on new additions they wouldn't want to lose any ground along the way. I really don't see how they could not want to pursue a Star Trek land, it's only logical.:smiley:

Being a Star Wars fan, I'm not exactly a huge Star Trek fan. With that said, I'd love a Star Trek attraction/land. The franchise has a very large and loyal fan base, which challenges that of Harry Potter and Star Wars. But also can be appealing the general audience. This thing could be a money-making machine if Universal goes this route with all the crazy merch and food options.

Interesting thread. I enjoy Star Wars but I am a huge Star Trek fan. It is difficult to compare 6 movies to 5 series consisting of anywhere from 3-7 seasons. I own all of them on DVD. I purposely drove from my sister's home in Albuquerque back to northern Wisconsin through Las Vegas to see the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton. Both franchises have created a "universe" but I feel Star Trek has created a universe and a philosophy coherent enough to last decades. I would personally love to see something like this in a theme park but I really don't feel ANY park would give it proper tribute.

I think Star Trek was featured in a piece of concept art from that now abandoned Paramount UK park. But over on the EU thread, someone though that if control of Paramount went to NBCU, Star Trek could go in one of the EU expansion pads but someone else though that Star Trek isn't relevant enough today anyways to warrant a land at EU even if control of Paramount went to NBCU.

I think Star Trek was featured in a piece of concept art from that now abandoned Paramount UK park. But over on the EU thread, someone though that if control of Paramount went to NBCU, Star Trek could go in one of the EU expansion pads but someone else though that Star Trek isn't relevant enough today anyways to warrant a land at EU even if control of Paramount went to NBCU.
I would agree the older generation loves it, but it is not popular in the younger crowd. I don't think it would make a good theme park land personally because of that. And even in the older generation it is still not like Star Wars. It is more niche.

Star Trek is an evergreen where even if you're not a "fan", you know it when you see it. Like Potter, if you build compelling lands and attractions it will be popular even with those who are only casually familiar with it.

Reactions: JaySalahi
Star Trek is an evergreen where even if you're not a "fan", you know it when you see it. Like Potter, if you build compelling lands and attractions it will be popular even with those who are only casually familiar with it.
For me Star Trek was more popular in the "nerd" culture and less general/main stream. Potter was very general as was Star Wars.

Would it be popular, sure? But does Uni already have a ton of IPs more popular that would make great lands? Yes. I just think there are a line of other better lands they could do that would be more relevant to the GP and not have that "nerd" stigma that Star Trek sometimes gives off. I mean when people use it in comedy it is always a certain population portrayed in shows that like it (Big Bang Theory a good example of this).

For me Star Trek was more popular in the "nerd" culture and less general/main stream. Potter was very general as was Star Wars.

Would it be popular, sure? But does Uni already have a ton of IPs more popular that would make great lands? Yes. I just think there are a line of other better lands they could do that would be more relevant to the GP and not have that "nerd" stigma that Star Trek sometimes gives off. I mean when people use it in comedy it is always a certain population portrayed in shows that like it (Big Bang Theory a good example of this).
Yeah Darth Vader, “I am your father,” lightsabers, etc. are all solidified in the general zeitgeist. I can’t think of a single thing in Star Trek that comes close to that level of ubiquity.

Plus, hasnt Star Trek always been more of a philosophical, plot-based show revolving around science? Doesn’t sound like theme park ride material to me

oh--so this is happening again.

We are seeing even in general regardless of Paramount having it's operations getting handled as it is; them seemingly willing and wanting to work with NBCUniversal with Universal Kids Frisco to have SpongeBob there. Why should it matter if Comcast tries to make a monopoly or not?

Reactions: Nico
Yeah Darth Vader, “I am your father,” lightsabers, etc. are all solidified in the general zeitgeist. I can’t think of a single thing in Star Trek that comes close to that level of ubiquity.
Definitely not claiming Star Trek is bigger by any margin (it absolutely isn't), but I don't think I'd go as far as to claim that. Star Trek has a literal emoji on our phones from a hand symbol that made its way into the general zeitgeist hah.

Last edited:
Star Trek hasn't been relevant in years. Not that it doesn't deserve a presence in parks... but there's other IPs I'd imagine Universal would prefer to focus on first.

Heck, save the Paramount IPs for a Universal-Paramount Studios 4th gate at the resort.

Reactions: SeventyOne
If they wanted it, theyd get it. That said, a ride is okay. A land? Eh. I dunno if it needs that, granted I’m not even a casual fan.

It doesn't have the warranty to justify it as a land. Far from it.

If it was incorporated into a generic Sci-Fi area like USS's Sci-Fi City alongside other brands like Transformers; then sure probably. But not in the terms of it as an IP warranting a land like Star Wars has.

I would agree the older generation loves it, but it is not popular in the younger crowd. I don't think it would make a good theme park land personally because of that. And even in the older generation it is still not like Star Wars. It is more niche.

Plus, hasnt Star Trek always been more of a philosophical, plot-based show revolving around science? Doesn’t sound like theme park ride material to me

Star Trek is ranked as a bigger franchise than Fast & Furious and several others that are currently being built:

Star Trek hasn't been relevant in years. Not that it doesn't deserve a presence in parks... but there's other IPs I'd imagine Universal would prefer to focus on first.

Heck, save the Paramount IPs for a Universal-Paramount Studios 4th gate at the resort.

as someone who is Not a star trek fan (but know enough because of memes lol)
star trek is much... much more popular than jimmy fallon or Bourne.... (most people i know dont watch or care about either one, if anything some people dont even know who jason bourne is. do people outside usa know jimmy fallon?)
almost everyone knows what star trek is. around the globe.
i still cannot believe that fallon has i ride lol. i cant believe it.

as someone who is Not a star trek fan (but know enough because of memes lol)
star trek is much... much more popular than jimmy fallon or Bourne.... (most people i know dont watch or care about either one, if anything some people dont even know who jason bourne is. do people outside usa know jimmy fallon?)
almost everyone knows what star trek is. around the globe.
i still cannot believe that fallon has i ride lol. i cant believe it.
While Star Trek is more popular than Bourne/Fallon but it still isn't as big as the IPs that ususally get standalone lands, I feel a standalone attraction or a mini-land in overall sci-fi would be the best fit for Star Trek